Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2024, 12:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
25RB Converter Access

Doing a change to LiFePO4 batteries and need to change the converter. Access to the converter is challenging in a 25RB. You can just barely reach it after removing the distribution panel and holding the mass of wires out of the way. Is that the best way? Seems like removing the couch deck might be better, but I can't find any guidance on how to do that.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:57 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I'm also curious about how to remove the "couch deck" in my 25RB for better access to the electrical stuff. I'm not familiar with how the interior cabinetry is installed and this particular piece sure isn't intuitive.
ABQChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I watched an Airstream tech replace a converter in my 30. Sounds to me like mine is positioned identical to yours in the 25. He got on the floor, reached in there, yanked the bundle of wires around so as to reach the converter deck screws. He even had enough room to get a cordless screwdriver/drill in there! He then removed those screws and pulled the converter, wires and all, out far enough to undo the wiring and wire up the new one. Shoved it all back in there from whence it came and screwed it down. Easy Peasy. I shoulda done it myself

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I have a 25' RB twin, and I've done a fair amount of work in the electrical compartment. It took me a while to figure out the trick, but as long as you are comfortable with small tools, and general handyman stuff, then I say by FAR the best approach to any work in the region you describe is to completely remove the most forward bench on that side (the curved bench up front). There are maybe 8-9 screws total, in my trailer, 4 from the converter into the front face of the cabinet, I think 2 into the floor, the, 2 or 3 more in the side wall of the cabinet (they come from the neighbor bench cabinet), and there is one you can barely find, its under the removable panel in the curve, up very high, and goes into the aluminum wall (only that 1 screw into the wall). once you have all the screws out, you should be able to "wiggle" the cabinet some. If it feels solid as a rock, you probably have not yet removed all the screws, so keep looking. Once you can move it, then the trick is lift it straight up (slowly), once clear, set it off to the side. The more difficult part will be when you go to re-install that cabinet, the wiring bundle has a very narrow and specific location it will fit, so be mindful of that as you manipulate wires in the compartment. I had to attempt this *many* times when I first started, shifting wires so the cabinet would seat properly, but now I know to be careful, and it's very easy to accomplish. Hope all that info helps you.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Thank you for the responses. It is very helpful to know that the wires to the converter are long enough that I can make the electrical connections outside the confined space. That will be plan A. Plan B will be the search for the screws holding the top.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Boy, was I overthinking this. There is enough wire behind the electrical panel to pull the panel out a bit and turn it on its side. The converter is right behind the panel and access was great. Very easy to change the converter.