Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2023, 04:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Catonsville , Maryland
'22 International - AGM Batteries Dead after storage

My '22 w/ onboard solar was stored inside for many months unexpectedly (long story and not worth it).

The inverter was off when it went into storage and the main DC switch was also turned off.

When I picked it up today, the AGM batteries are dead . I haven't gone out with a volt meter yet, but the trailer will not turn on.

Are these batteries toast now and if no, what procedure should I use to bring them back.

TIA,

Ben Brouse
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
If they're not completely toast, they're likely degraded from the complete discharge and resulting sulfation/crystallization.

You can try putting them on a charger to bring them back, but they're never going to perform as they did prior to the damage.

After you replace the batteries, you should install a battery disconnect to completely isolate them for storage. The factory system will continue to drain the batteries even after the disconnect solenoid is turned off due to small consumers like the propane leak detector that are never truly off.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Catonsville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
If they're not completely toast, they're likely degraded from the complete discharge and resulting sulfation/crystallization.

You can try putting them on a charger to bring them back, but they're never going to perform as they did prior to the damage.

After you replace the batteries, you should install a battery disconnect to completely isolate them for storage. The factory system will continue to drain the batteries even after the disconnect solenoid is turned off due to small consumers like the propane leak detector that are never truly off.
Thanks for the quick response. This is what I figured.

I'm going to try to limp along with these for a short period of time until I drop in some LiPo.

Yeah - I know there was something else drawing current but hadn't given much though to what that could be.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:30 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
The inverter was off
NO, it wasn't.
The inverter is wired directly to the battery, and draws a lot of power, even when "off". The only way to make sure it's "off" is to wire a disconnect switch directly to the inverter, and turn THAT off when not in use.

As I explain to people about inverters, the second biggest power consumer in your home is the cable box. That is because, even when it's off, it is still drawing nearly as much power as if you were using it, from the keep alive circuitry. The inverter has the same type of circuitry.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Catonsville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
NO, it wasn't.
The inverter is wired directly to the battery, and draws a lot of power, even when "off". The only way to make sure it's "off" is to wire a disconnect switch directly to the inverter, and turn THAT off when not in use.

As I explain to people about inverters, the second biggest power consumer in your home is the cable box. That is because, even when it's off, it is still drawing nearly as much power as if you were using it, from the keep alive circuitry. The inverter has the same type of circuitry.

Yeah, understood. was just trying to say that I didn't have it turned "on" at the switch.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully it helps someone in the future.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
Had this happen to me a couple of years ago. AGM batteries.

Got a charger that was supposed to desulfur the batteries. It was a hope but the charger people weren't very optimistic. Didn't make the batteries come back.

I could charge the batteries up to the correct voltage - 13-14 v. However, when putting a heavy load on them, the voltage would drop quickly to 10.5 v or so.

So the batteries were toast essentially.

Now, you can use the batteries when camping at FHU and such. And the batteries will provide some lights and furnace fan for awhile without HU. But the long run story is replacement unfortunately IMO.
davetoregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Sandy , Utah
Does your batteries have reset button. I had similar problem last year, took to dealer thinking warranty but they just pushed the reset button and everything was ok afterwards. They showed me the location for future reference, it was not obvious to me.
Rosey Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey Jet View Post
Does your batteries have reset button. I had similar problem last year, took to dealer thinking warranty but they just pushed the reset button and everything was ok afterwards. They showed me the location for future reference, it was not obvious to me.
Reset button on a battery?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Sandy , Utah
Sorry

Didn’t notice “AGM”
Rosey Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post

The PO of our 23 International installed one of these switches on the battery post and just left the batteries in the trailer in unsupervised storage for winter storage. His reason was that the owner of the barn could raise the jack if needed for moving equipment, by just closing the switch and then leaving it off when done. We acquired the trailer out of that storage and the AGMs were nearly fully charged. I still take them out and keep them on Float Charge in the garage.....just my way of dealing with it
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eugene , Oregon
Final solution

After trying portable solar cells, disconnecting batteries ect
I have found a reliable way to keep my batteries charged
I take them home with me and keep them in a nice warm garage on a battery minder
Only takes 5 minutes to remove and reinstall
I always have fully charged batteries when I go on trips
Robmar is offline   Reply With Quote