Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
22' Bambi Sport--do we have a "use/store" switch?

I'm having a possible problem with my 12 v electrical system--or it might be user error--and asked a question here. Someone mentioned that the problem might be my "use/store" switch. I didn't want to say "what's that" but ... having looked at it on line and seeing what it is, the question is:

Do we have them on the Sports? I don't see anything in the materials.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
You have one. It’s usually by the door. It’s a toggle switch with a red light next to it. If the light is lit it is set to Use.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I'm having a possible problem with my 12 v electrical system--or it might be user error--and asked a question here. Someone mentioned that the problem might be my "use/store" switch. I didn't want to say "what's that" but ... having looked at it on line and seeing what it is, the question is:

Do we have them on the Sports? I don't see anything in the materials.
Sport 22's don't have the same electronic switch of other Airstreams. On the road side near the floor in the bed frame you should see a silver on/off mechanical switch that you rotate one way for on and the other for off.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Your owner’s manual should cover this IMO. Will check online manual later when I get back home.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Here is your manual:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content..._sport2014.pdf

On the top left of p. 5-9 [PDF p. 39/96] is an illustration of your "Battery Disconnect Switch" and the following text:

"When the switch is turned to ON and the trailer
is plugged into a 110-volt shoreline, the 12-volt distribution panel will receive power from the converter and the batteries will be charged through the converter charging system.

"
When the switch is turned to Off and the trailer is plugged into a 110-volt shoreline, the 12-volt distribution panel will still receive power from the converter, but the batteries are disconnected from the system The batteries will not be drained with the switch in the Off position The converter will not charge the batteries with the switch in this position."

Cheers,

Peter

Old 03-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grayslake , Illinois
Boy do I remember trying to understand that. So it is on the drivers side on the frame for the bed. Turn on when you want to charge. Turn off when fully charged so you don't bubble the batteries away.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
On my 22 Sport, the battery switch was under the bed on the passenger side.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
That is an interesting switch. It's not the rocker switch used on other models. The switch looks like a physical disconnect. Any other info on the operation? Is there still parasitic load on the batteries when stored. Just courious. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I think most older AS had a similar physical contact switch, without any relay action. At least our 1985 25' did, as I recall -- -- I think . . .

Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjpuckett View Post
You have one. It’s usually by the door. It’s a toggle switch with a red light next to it. If the light is lit it is set to Use.
That's not correct. The red light only means there is 12V available to the coach.

Set to USE=Red light on either from shore power or the batteries
Set to STORE=Red light on from shore power.
=Red light off, no shore power.
=Red light off, batteries disconnected.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
That is an interesting switch. It's not the rocker switch used on other models. The switch looks like a physical disconnect. Any other info on the operation? Is there still parasitic load on the batteries when stored. Just courious. Pat
On my Sport it is a mechanical disconnect, I appreciate the simplicity as I always know exactly what it is doing. Either the trailer (and converter/charger) are connected to the battery or not...there is no complex decision tree. When disconnected, the only parasitic loads are the propane detector and the power jack (when used, or if you leave the light on).

One thing OP, the Sports were the first (and only for a long time) AS to include true multi-stage charger circuitry, so you shouldn't have to worry so much about remembering to disconnect to prevent over-charging the battery...more of only to keep from over-discharging the battery due to the many parasitic loads in the trailer. If storing for a long time, remember that the propane detector does not get disconnected by the store/use switch.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Great info. That helps clarify a bunch. So, when storing for more than about two weeks, the coach needs a full battery disconnect, the battery cables disconnected, or an appropriate charger. Keep the battery at 50% or higher charge level to not kill the cells. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
I have a 2014 sport and leave the battery switch on 100% of the time . Still have the original battery. The
breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
it is in the manual also, please reread it

the battery switch on the drivers side/road side
under the bed
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I know you are being told that there is a rocker switch by your door. Not on the Sport. Nor is there an idiot light. Your system is actually better. I have had both.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Prattville , Alabama
Battery disconnect as troubleshooting tool

An interesting (to me, anyway) aside re the battery disconnect. If you are on shore power and you set the battery switch to disconnect (you are now on converter power only) and your LED cabin lights go from steady to flickering, you may need a new converter. The folks at Out-of-Doors-Mart in Colfax, NC found mine was putting out only 10.2 volts when I described this to them, and replaced it with one that will go to trickle charge if you leave it on too long and will not fry your batteries.
BTW, as others have mentioned on the forum, they are a great shop if you need service and are in the area, or even if not close they are well worth the drive. They just replaced our 2007 Bambi A/C, furnace control board, and status panel for us at a very competitive (to Jackson Center) cost, in addition to the converter board. And all the mysterious nagging issues went away. I highly recommend them, and second all the good forum comments on them.
2old2tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
What's the solultion then?

I thank you all for your input. Very educational as usual

Three questions. One: Do I understand that my lights throughout the trailer are 12 volt and that plugging in to shore power only charges the battery and "runs" the lights through the battery whether shore-powered or not? I know the outlets are shore power.

Two: should I put a disconnect on my battery, outside at the battery, or is that belt-and-suspenders?

Three: ... should I replace the converter (?) with a 3 stage? If so, what do y'all recommend? And is it accessible so that I can do it myself? (Consider bad back, bad knees, but very handy.)
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
On my 2014 Sport22, I believe the complete 12v system worked with the Batt. Switch off. The lights, etc. come from the converter, not through the battery. Turn the switch off with external power on and try it. It just will not charge the battery.

You do not need to add another cutoff switch.

Yes, to 3 stage converter, if you do not already have one. If you are good with electrical diagrams, it can be done. Definitely hard on the knees!

My opinion only. There are a lot of differences in the Sport. Some are good, and some not so. You can email me at barfull7@aol.com.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post
On my 2014 Sport22, I believe the complete 12v system worked with the Batt. Switch off. The lights, etc. come from the converter, not through the battery. Turn the switch off with external power on and try it. It just will not charge the battery.
. . .
The quote from the owner's manual in Post #5 confirms this.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
I sure wish I had a real disconnect switch like the one described above. On my 2018 FC, the disconnect does nothing while on shore power. It's designed to disconnect the batteries when the AS is disconnected from shore power such as when stored.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote