Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 172
2022 GT 27 FB Twin inverter upgrade. Do 2022 trailers have a fridge roof vent?

I am planning out adding a large lithium bank, inverter (victron multiplus II, 2x120v) and additional solar panels to a 2022 GT 27 FB Twin.

As part of that planning, I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the heat generated by the inverter/charger.

My current plan is to install the inverter in the dead space in the back of the wardrobe, next to the 12v only dometic fridge.

I've seen other threads on airforums that indicate that for some time interval after airstream switched to fridges that only run on 12v, the trailers still had a vent on the trailer roof to exhaust heat from the rear coils on the fridge. In those same threads, others have mentioned that airstream eventually eliminated the roof vent for the fridge.

"If" the roof vent exists, I will add path through the upper left hand wall of the wardrobe to allow hot air rising off of the inverter to comingle with the hot air from the fridge and exhaust both sources of hot air through the roof vent.

If the roof vent doesn't exist on recently manufactured Globetrotter 27 FB trailers, then I'll have to come up with an alternative plan.

Can anyone with recent vintage 27 ft airstreams confirm (or deny) that a roof vent exists for the 12v fridge? Even better, provide a photo of the roof that shows where the vent (or lack thereof) is placed?
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,100
I put my batteries and Multiplus under the curb side twin bed. All the AS low voltage stuff usually comes together in the front of the trailer, often curb side. That makes it easier adding everything. No matter what, you want the distance between the batteries and the inverter as short as possible. Those are very high current connections and the wires are huge.

If it helps, hereís how I did it in my FB25 twin.

Mine only gets warm when running the AC off battery. In that case, I just open the outside storage hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECFE6742-43D0-4C29-B25C-3044D1776652.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	415909   Click image for larger version

Name:	230BC1AA-78EA-44B7-91E8-582C0C03A742.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	415910  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I put my batteries and Multiplus under the curb side twin bed. All the AS low voltage stuff usually comes together in the front of the trailer, often curb side. That makes it easier adding everything. No matter what, you want the distance between the batteries and the inverter as short as possible. Those are very high current connections and the wires are huge.

If it helps, hereís how I did it in my FB25 twin.

Mine only gets warm when running the AC off battery. In that case, I just open the outside storage hatch.
Thanks daleyocum, that's a nice installation. Appreciate you sharing the photos. Nice job!

Unfortunately, I need manage the rather heavy tongue weight on the Globetrotter 27 FB Twin, so any additional weight for batteries and inverter will need to be over the axles or on the rearward side of the axles (towards the rear trailer bumper).

So I'm stuck with putting the inverter in the closet and the batteries a couple of feet away under the street side settee. That is still pretty close to the inverter as the cables only have to pass behind the fridge to reach the battery bank (couple of feet at most).
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Thanks daleyocum, that's a nice installation. Appreciate you sharing the photos. Nice job!

Unfortunately, I need manage the rather heavy tongue weight on the Globetrotter 27 FB Twin, so any additional weight for batteries and inverter will need to be over the axles or on the rearward side of the axles (towards the rear trailer bumper).

So I'm stuck with putting the inverter in the closet and the batteries a couple of feet away under the street side settee. That is still pretty close to the inverter as the cables only have to pass behind the fridge to reach the battery bank (couple of feet at most).
My tongue weight is about the same as yours I suspect. The FB25s are crazy heavy. Also my tongue weight stayed about the same with the batteries removed from the outside box and moved inside. Lithium weighs about half as much per battery as the AGM batteries they replaced but I have 5 now instead f two. I removed the factory inverter of course which saved a little.

I was concerned about sway if I started putting batteries behind the wheels.

My wardrobe is a set of drawers now which I wouldnít give up for the world. This is an older picture with my slide out microwave conversion. Thatís since been changed so that space is more shelves.

You might give AMSolar a call and see where they would suggest putting the batteries in your unit. Iíve never heard of a professional install like you suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	956134B8-0994-46AD-829D-5882B1199619.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	415933  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
My tongue weight is about the same as yours I suspect. The FB25s are crazy heavy. Also my tongue weight stayed about the same with the batteries removed from the outside box and moved inside. Lithium weighs about half as much per battery as the AGM batteries they replaced but I have 5 now instead f two. I removed the factory inverter of course which saved a little.



I was concerned about sway if I started putting batteries behind the wheels.



My wardrobe is a set of drawers now which I wouldnít give up for the world. This is an older picture with my slide out microwave conversion. Thatís since been changed so that space is more shelves.



You might give AMSolar a call and see where they would suggest putting the batteries in your unit. Iíve never heard of a professional install like you suggest.
AM Solar was the company who suggested placing the inverter in the back of the wardrobe area and the batteries under the rear bench :-)
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
AM Solar was the company who suggested placing the inverter in the back of the wardrobe area and the batteries under the rear bench :-)
Well that will certainly decrease tongue weight! I just hope it doesnít introduce too much sway. Hereís why itís a concern.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Well that will certainly decrease tongue weight! I just hope it doesnít introduce too much sway. Hereís why itís a concern.
Appreciate the concern daleyocum. Iím very familiar with sway concepts and the impact of load positioning on trailer stability.

Iíve put together a spreadsheet model for the trailer based on what mechanical engineers would call a free body analysis. Basically, it just calculates the change in tongue weight based on the initial ďdry, empty tongue weightĒ and any loads that are added or are moved around. So I have a pretty accurate idea what the change in tongue weight would be for various potential locations for the battery bank. Iíll keep the tongue weight at around 12-13% of the total trailer weight.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 172
Is anyone able to answer the original question though?

Do 2022 27 ft globetrotters still have roof vents for the refrigerator?
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,634
the fridges with AC and DC only does need a roof vent

only if the fridge gas has it also

as 2022 do not work on gas, only ac or DC
__________________
2017 22' Sport
2023 25' FB with hatch on order
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,562
VE3HIU since 1978
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,100
Glad you have the weight and balance figured out.

Assuming there isnít a vent on the roof, there is a large cavity below the wardrobe (thatís where the water pump and a bunch of ducting is.) That would be a great place for a 12v muffin fan, likely thermostatically controlled, to exhaust air if it gets too hot in the closet. Mine seldom gets hot enough for concern in the side storage compartment so I would think that would do the trick.

In fact you might be able to just cut a hole in the right place so the Multiplusí own fan to exhaust down there. I donít recall which way they blow.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Make/model fridge in 2022 Globetrotter 27 FB Twin? foobar Refrigerators 1 04-21-2022 09:00 AM
how to upgrade fridge vent with stainless steel one? shockfly Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents 5 06-14-2020 01:58 PM
Change a metal roof vent by a transparent roof vent ? GaŽl Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 11 12-27-2014 05:55 PM
'76 Argosy have vent pipes at roof (nicro vent install idea) BrianD. Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 6 11-08-2014 06:28 PM
Roof flange solutions for 14" x 26" Astrodome roof vent. Petethefeet Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 46 04-30-2008 11:13 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.