Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
2 dead AC GFCII circuits

Help... the 2 GFIC circuits are dead on our 2005 22" CCD International with side dinette and front bed.

We are changing the layout and have just reconnected the wiring. I believe that everything is back to original as I marked and labeled everything prior to removal. The trailer had been down for a while before the remodeling and at that time the refrigerator was not working on AC. Didn't really check other circuits.

With all wires attached, #1 circuit to the Air Con. works fine as does #2 to the dinette and rear desk plus #2b to the converter. The problem comes with the #3 & 4 circuits. #3 should be a dedicated recept. in the galley and #4 to the outside recept., bath, galley, refer., hamper area(which we don't have) and the nightstand. All of these outlets read no lights on my plug in tester indicating an open hot circuit. At this point I decided to replace the GFIC breaker as it was the common element. With the new breaker there was no change.

I tested with our voltmeter(between breaker an neutral) and had the following results. Load to circuits 3&4 and the white pigtail all connected. Cir #3 110 volts, cir #4 0 volts. No lights on plugin tester.

Cir. #3 and pigtail connected, #4 disconnected. #3 = 110 v, #4 =0 v, no lights on plugin tester.

Cir #3 connected, #4 and pigtail disconnected. #3 = 110 v, #4=110v, no light on tester.

Cir #3 & #4 connected, Pigtail disconnected. #3=110v, #4=50v, two yellow lights on tester flashing.

So I decided to check the outlets for loose wires and started with the dedicated galley since it was the simplest. When I opened it up I found Two sets of wires so it didn't seem to be a dedicated circuit. Did AS misswire or is the diagram that came with the trailer wrong? I've run out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, any thoughts on how to get into the outside receptacle to check it for open circuit.

Thanks,
Bob Chatelain
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Never *assume* there was only one wiring schematic for a given model in a given year. If what you are finding does not look like the schematic, I'd contact JC and see if there is an "other schematic" for your model and year. Yes, it's crazy, but in rare cases it does happen. The other obscure issue is wiring differences between US and Canadian trailers. I'd check both schematics "just in case".

Not at all clear why you would get power on circuit 4 with it totally disconnected. Also not clear how you get 50V on it. I'd say it's time for some careful sorting out of wiring. It sounds a lot like something got routed to the wrong place in the reconnect process.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
It is working ... BUT

Thanks, Uncle Bob. You got me thinking about other approaches. Have followed a twisted road, but it is finally more clear.

First, checked the viability of the 2 non-functioning circuits by attaching them to the #2 breaker that did not have problems.
Found that ALL of the receptacles listed for circuits 3 and 4 worked when #4 was attached.
Could not find any working receptacles when #3 was attached. Do not know where these wires end up ... if anyone has an idea would love to hear it.
Rewired the new circuit breaker, a GFTCB120, following the directions exactly, to circuit 4 wires and all receptacles work. Assume they are also protected by GFI. The problem is that we have one very busy circuit that is subject to overload and no dedicated circuit for heavy loads.

Our 110 Diagram
Main
#1 AC
#2 Desk and Curb-side outlet (orig dinette)
#3 Converter
#4 GFI Outside, bath (galley), galley, refrig, closet galley, nite stand

Now the important question becomes, where do the currently unconnected #3 lines go? We need a dedicated galley circuit for heavy loads. I could rewire the Converter to breaker #2 and then connect up #3 if I knew where they terminated.

Will talk with AS tomorrow, but might get better help here.

Thanks,
Bob
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote