Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2022, 09:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Salt Lake City , Utah
Question 1968 Ambassador Electrical - Univolt replacement

Ive just purchased a 1968 Ambassador Airstream Land Yacht

The electrical panel appears to be in good shape and the breakers under the sink are operable but I am missing the Univolt system.

I would like to keep the trailer as original as possible as the trailer is in good shape as its not been used much.

Any recommendations on what inverter I should look at? My desire is to keep the trailers as original as possible, and am not needing to do a complete shell off restoration so rewiring things i hope will keep to a minimum.
Justhamula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Look at Best Converters. If you give them a call, they can recommend the best product for your needs.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Welcome to the forums... remembering back a few years to my '68 Overlander, I believe the Uni-Volt was located under the bathroom sink right next to the 110V A/C fuse box. A little terminology here, Uni-Volt is a converter, 110V A/C to 12 volt DC. An inverter changes 12V DC to 110V A/C, you may want one of those at some point. Assuming your trailer has a "control panel" in the galley area. I Belive that serves as your 12V DC distribution area with fuses and circuit breakers. You could certainly install a new converter at the rear of the trailer where the old one had been (I also recommend Best Converter). In that rear area you should find a very thick red wire, 8 gauge. This is the wire that will go to the control panel. The converter also serves as a battery charger. There should be a 110 outlet right there also for the converter to plug into. Install is usually very simple, positive and negative wire hookup and then plug it in. I looked but I didn't have any decent pics of the old set-up in my trailer as I knew I was throwing it all out. Maybe post a pic of your area? Maybe others can chime in with a pic or two. Ask more questions if needed.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thank you very much
Old 12-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thank you both and thank you for not shaming me for my questions. Thanks for clarifying the Univolts purpose to convert 110 VAC to 12 VDC. I am not sure if I need an inverter at this time but I can investigate that at a later time. Maybe if i ever decide to do a deeper remodel on this one.

Yes the Univolt was under the sink in the bathroom. The wires and breakers are all in great shape. Looks like what ever converter they had was hard wired. Replacing this with the converter will work well for my purposes at the moment.

The appliances are all original, the only thing that doesnt work is the air conditioner.
This trailer still has the 2 gas lanterns working great.

It does have a control panel in the galley that i need to replace a couple of wires but looks to be in good shape.

I will post photos when i get time to figure out the formatting.

I am hoping to keep this as original as possible as its pretty great condition structurally and not messed up inside

Thank you all again, I love the kind response to my first post.

Happy New Year. .
Old 12-31-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Sounds like you've gotten an interesting rig, many here think the '68's are some of the best/interesting units but not without their challenges (windows, leaks). Would enjoy seeing some pics of your unit. I had high hopes for our '68 but as I began digging in I quickly realized I had a major job on my hands and it turned into a total re-do and re-design. The only parts I reused were the kitchen sink and the ceiling lights and everthing in the trailer is in a new place.
Have fun, good luck...
Mark D
Old 01-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Salt Lake City , Utah
Here are some photos attached to this reply.

It is an interesting style that only was around for about 3 years. Some think thats a good thing. It is a cool design. Even though the trailer was titled as a 76 and matching VIN numbers, it is in fact a 68. Im trying to straighten out with the DMV. I had no idea what I was getting into, as i really didnt know much about these other than I always wanted to own one. Additionally, 1968 was the year I was born so Im excited about that. And because this one appears to be in great shape, i decided to go for it.

It was tarped over for 25+ years rarely trailered anywhere. Only a few popped rivets inside. Therefore I would like to keep it as original as possible.

I first got it polished which frankly was putting the cart before the horse, but it sure is a motivator.

Im working inside a shop this winter replacing rotted gaskets, running lights, sealing or replacing vent fans, replacing sky lights, cleaning window frames, Replacing broken air conditioner, and seal up any seams on the roof.

Ive had to replace some glass. It is hard to find the curved glass. Its on back order at Vintage Trailer. I do have 2 acrylic windows that are on order, i was talked into going 3/16 acrylic or something like that. I also am replacing the front and rear glass with 1/8" tempered with a pencil edge

I have a cabinet guy scheduled to fix some cabinets in February. Im planning on re upholstering the two goucho (?) couches. flooring needs to be replaced. We have decided to keep the floor plan original. It appears it never had an awning so I am thinking of getting a vintage awning.

Ive looked at composting toilets too as this trailer only has a 19 gallon black water tank and no Grey Water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	426719   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	426720  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	426721   Click image for larger version

Name:	electrical panel bathroom.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	426722  

Name:	electrical panel mid ship.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	426723   Click image for larger version

Name:	lantern.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	426724  

Name:	lantern 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	426725  
Old 01-01-2023, 09:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Salt Lake City , Utah
here are the polished photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	426726   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	426727  

Old 01-02-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Wow, that polished up great! Body looks incredibly straight. You're comitted now...
Mark D

Tags