Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Dimmitt , Texas
12 volt question worked on

After listening to everyone I checked the system and when the converter was on everthing was great, but when I went to batt power the lights wernt very bright and volt meter read 11.6 volts. i am looking at sams club golf cart batteries is the 6 volt in series or 12 volt parallel the best way. I am new to airstream and would like everything orginal specs.

thanks
Max
maxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Sounds like the batteries are on their way out, or are just not getting voltage from the convertor. It would be helpful to know what year and type or trailer you have or know what kind of convertor you are using.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
There have ben several questions on this topic on this forum. Your volt meter reads in-line with what it should be. The best that I have used and found is 4 golf cart batteries. I am not going to tell you how to set them up, you realy need to know 100% for sure on your own or have someone else do it for you! The other thing is depending on were you are and the temp... (except for inside vented storage) your power will be somewhat noticable less. Batteries do not like the cold!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxr
After listening to everyone I checked the system and when the converter was on everthing was great, but when I went to batt power the lights wernt very bright and volt meter read 11.6 volts. i am looking at sams club golf cart batteries is the 6 volt in series or 12 volt parallel the best way. I am new to airstream and would like everything orginal specs.

thanks
Max
I have a pair of Lifeline 6VDC AGM golf cart batteries in my CCD. They perform very well and I fully expect them to last 8+ years. 6VDC batteries need to be connected in series (Pos to Neg for the pair, then using Pos from battery one and Neg from battery two for the outputs.

For 4 of these, it's a little more complicated, as you have to do a series connection for the 2 pairs to make 12VDC, then parallel the pairs to go into the coach.

I know a diagram would be most beneficial,.........just don't have one. You might check on-line for a series/parallel connection for golf cart batteries.

How much usage are you contemplating that you feel you need 4 of these?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I'm becoming a 6 volt fan because I abuse them for testing purposes and if the AH, space and weight combination is right, they do have benifits.
I've also resourced some additional battery boxes designed for them and will post a seperate thread soon when they get here, in about a week. They were hard to find but I convinced them to sell to us. Also available in 4D and 8D sizes but not too much Airstream application there. Anyway, here is a photo and link:
Battery Boxes
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxr

thanks
Max
This seems strange to me. Check the output voltage on your converter. At 11.6 they are not fully charged. Thus it is strange that the lights brigthen with out the converter. New Converter is cheaper than all those 6 volts. How old is the convert and what type?

I use 2 220amp 6 volt's and may get two more. They are heavy and expensive. After much research I bought AGM not gell.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt