Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Yellowstone National Park , Wyoming
Zamp Solar-80w portable charging kit-questions

I was at the dealership yesterday and they had a display for Zamp solar portable kits. It was a 80w folding panel with a built in stand, regulator, cord and carrying case. I picked up the bag and took it out. Seems like a well built unit. Has anyone else had any experience with Zamp or their portable charging kits? I know 80w is not a lot of juice, but I have a 2000w honda and am only interested in "topping off" the batteries.
EmoryRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I'd be curious to know how the portable systems perform as well. I may be able to help out soon as I've ordered the 120 watt Solarland model from RVSolarNow.com.

I'm installing a TriMetric battery monitor tomorrow so I'll be able to see how many amps the portable panels bring into the equation and will report back.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
One of the main problems with the portable units is the fact that they are portable. That is others can easily take them. Also, each time you move you have to set them up, and take them down. No big deal, of course, but for me, when traveling, I move every day or two, so it gets old. Another thing to consider, if you are traveling a lot, like I do, is that the fixed mount (roof systems) charge as you travel to supplement your TV charge, and when you stop for lunch, rest areas etc, the roof mounts are still working.

I did portables for a time, then finally made a fixed installation on my Argosy 20'. I like that a lot better.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Get a panel between 80 and 125 watts. Hard-mount it to the top of the AS. It won't walk off. A panel being on the roof 100% of the time at varying angles to the sun, including driving time, beats a panel on the ground only some of the time. This makes a nice 'topping off" system. Use a charge controller close to the batteries so that voltage drop across the (potentially) long wires will have little effect.
Drawbacks are that you need to clean it off occasionally - think ladder and truck windshield squeegee. Also hail. although most will take a 1" dia. hailstone at terminal velocity - more than that and you've got bigger problems anyway.
mojofilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
I've used the 120 amp portable from AM SOLAR and functioned nicely,charging two 24 grp.bat. However,unit is very heavy and security is a concern
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #6

Butte , Montana
It's springtime in the Rockies! Finally. I too am loking at portable solar, 130 watt Solarland. My question is how to hook to the batteries, it comes with the battery clamps but having two batteries, do you do one at a time, or positive on one battery and negative on the other battery? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote