Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
I'm confused.

I'm assuming reference to the "pancakes" are to the LP manifolds/regulators. Aren't these the same ones that are located at the "A" frame where our hitch is?

My understanding is that you just "straight piped" the hose (since it was already "set up" with the AS manifold) straight to the generator - No??? If not, what purpose is the "Pancake" serving that's not already met?
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovr View Post
Having that pancake thing inside is really nice. one of the thing I want to figure out is how to avoid mounting it on generator - I don't have a truck so the generator will go in the SUV, with that thing mounted it not only limit where I can put it in the car, it also easy to get damaged when things bumping into each other.

Thank you, I am really learning a lot in this thread!
Take it off...
The 2000i in the AP, the LP stuff in the bag.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Your propane generator setup

The pancake thing is the low pressure regulator that feeds propane on demand to the generator engine. This is the one from a Champion dual fuel. It’s absolutely necessary to run correctly. It is fed from the airstream propane regulator at 11” water column, about 1/2 pound per square inch. This regulator is even more sensitive snd reacts to engine vacuum to get the air/propane mixture just right so the engine runs right. The black hose going off to the left goes to the generator input port. The quick connect on the lower right goes to an extension hose from the airstream regulator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4709.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	387154
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The beauty of the Genconnex unit is that the regulator is in the case, not external, a sweet design if you want propane only. You can buy a separate external regulator for use directly off of a propane tank instead off the low pressure gas system on the trailer.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Mark, by pancake I meant this:

https://centuryfuelproducts.com/c-03...izer-regulator

I liked Hitch Mountain's kit until I found these thing need to be very close to carburetor, so unless I plan to take the tank off A frame everytime I use the generator, I'd have to mount this pancake on generator after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post
I'm confused.

I'm assuming reference to the "pancakes" are to the LP manifolds/regulators. Aren't these the same ones that are located at the "A" frame where our hitch is?

My understanding is that you just "straight piped" the hose (since it was already "set up" with the AS manifold) straight to the generator - No??? If not, what purpose is the "Pancake" serving that's not already met?
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Yes, that looks really neat and convenient, still trying to figure out if keep gasoline option is necessary at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
The beauty of the Genconnex unit is that the regulator is in the case, not external, a sweet design if you want propane only. You can buy a separate external regulator for use directly off of a propane tank instead off the low pressure gas system on the trailer.

Larry
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Propane Generator Setup

2014 16’ Sport
Honda EU2000 gen, Hutch Mountain propane conv.

I use the female LP port on the trailer. Mine is 1/4”. The “pancake” thing is a demand regulator (DR) needed between the low pressure regulated gas and generator. The LP port on the trailer is regulated. I have 2 1/4” 10’ quick connect hoses I use as required. The male quick disconnect on the Hutch supplied DR is 3/8”, which requires a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter I built from parts from Amazon. I mounted the DR on a piece of 2x8. By the way, Hutch instructions recommend not modifying the length of the hose from the DR to the gen. My LP gas company told me 3/8” fittings are the smallest they use and 1/4” fittings are for specialty applications.

I calibrated the setup at my home, 500’ altitude, I camp at 2000’, the propane Honda runs the AC, tv, and led lights simultaneously at 88 deg ambient with no issues. I’m quite happy with it and like the option of gas powered use, although I wouldn’t be surprised if I never used it.

The black hose in the picture of the DR goes to the 3/8” male on the gen, the male brass fitting goes to the adapter, then to the hose, then to the trailer port. The other picture is the adapter broken down for clarity.
Attached Images

LDDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Intended to include in the above I have a Micro-Air EasyStart installed
LDDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDuffy View Post
. . .
. . . The “pancake” thing is a demand regulator (DR) needed between the low pressure regulated gas and generator.
. . .
. . . By the way, Hutch instructions recommend not modifying the length of the hose from the DR to the gen.
. . .
Thanks for that detail, which was my guess about a general guideline. On our Yamaha 1000, the DR is mounted right on the gen/inverter . . . a bit exposed and awkward in terms of stowing in the van, but easy enough IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's the regulator on my tri-fueled Yamaha. I use the hi-pressure side of the propane to power it. What's unique about this setup from https://www.uscarburetion.com is the fact that it came with an rpm display and a small adjustment on the regulator that fine tunes the propane or natural gas flow for optimum performance from the generator. Once you start the engine you make the adjustment based on best rpm. That way it can accommodate the differences between propane and natural gas to get the best air/fuel mixture. I've only used it once on gasoline (when it was new for break in).

I've only run it on propane but I do have a natural gas hose that can snap on the line I use at home for my natural gas BBQ. Gives me a lot of comfort knowing I had 3 fuels that I can run on, plus I feel a lot safer not having to carry the gasoline when traveling.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0387 (1).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	387406  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Sold the Champion Dual Fuel; bought the Honda 2200 Genconnex

The Champion Dual Fuel 3400 worked fine for us for 3 years on propane. It can run the 15000AC without the Easystart no problem. But, for me, 95lbs was becoming a pain to load/unload when I turned 70 this past year, so I sold it and bought the new Honda 2200 Genconnex unit. Sweet design and 3 year warranty. Several friends have this unit, modified by Genconnex. No external carb/manifold to worry about mounting somewhere, like is required with the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel or like the "Hutch Mountain conversion" on the Honda. Before I purchased the Genconnex last month, I had already tried a friends Honda 2200 Genconnex converted generator last summer and it fired up my AC 13000 or 15000AC. I cycled it on and off to test for about 3 min each; no issues.

The propane conversion from Genconnex is integrated into the Honda chassis/skins with just a quick disconnect port on top. Tell them you have an Airstream, they send you the right hose with quick disconnect for your AS propane QD port in front, and also works with separate 20lb portable propane tank we use for our bbq and fire pit. All is well...drives either one of my AC units, microwave when needed, and everything else! Genconnex also included a high altitude jet for when I am in Wy in the summer. 45lbs, uses propane, runs my AC and other appliances in the AS...I am happy camper!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Honda Genconnex.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	387407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda genconex 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	387408  

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2

An often overlooked feature having an adjustment block on the manifold, and tach/hour meter for easy altitude adjustment.👍

BTW...
Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2F43DAFD-D9D1-4963-B63D-8A8625434ED0_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	387409   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF5FB048-DED2-498E-B518-781DC92DC1A1_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	387410  

Old 01-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
X2

An often overlooked feature having an adjustment block on the manifold, and tach/hour meter for easy altitude adjustment.��

BTW...
Bob
����
yes, I will have to use the included Allen Wrench to swap out the high altitude fitting, but no big deal. Also, the Bluetooth feature for your phone, gives you the tach, plus keeps track of hours, oil life, and can remote stop are some benefits....but no bulky carb...I had to deal with that on my Champion, so nice not to worry about storing it, keeping the QD fittings protected etc...minor nits for sure, but still nice to have a clean neat package like Genconnex has done, IMHO.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
You folks MUST stop this! For this summer’s trip around the perimeter of the US to finish the lower 48 we are already doing lithium batteries, a bigger mattress, new recliners, a potable washing machine and who knows what else.

Now I need a pair of Bluetooth enabled generators with RPM meters to replace my perfectly good Hondas?

I think it’s time I cancel AirForums!

GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote