Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Yamaha Generators, again...

Sorry, I know this topic was just recently posted, but I am about to drop $2000 into a generator. I am looking at the Yamaha EF30isebh (the 3000 with the boost). My reasoning against two smaller units is simplicity… Less is best in my book. So my question is, how many of you all are running this generator with a newer 13,500 or 15,000 heat pump? My wife and I live full time in our 05 31 classic. I have installed a 22 inch flat screen LCD TV on a wall mount against the forward side of the Microwave cabinet, with a Direct TV satellite receiver. I would like to power the TV, satellite, lights, and heat pump while on the road. Is there enough power leftover after running the air conditioner to run the rest? I would really appreciate any experience you all could share.
Tavis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Tavis76,

We use the Yamaha and love it;however, having said that, we find that it bogs down and/or a breaker fails when we try to run the AC and the convection/microwave oven at the same time. In hindsight, we would have gone with the two Hondas for two reasons. The smaller Hondas are easier to lift into the bed of the truck while the heavy Yamaha is a beast for husband and wife to lift. We solved this by using a folding ramp; but, it's still quite a chore pushing and pulling it up the ramp and into the bed of our truck. With the two Hondas linked together, I feel we could successfully run the aforementioned equipment simultaniously. I must say that the Yamaha is an extremely quiet machine in regular mode and not bad in boost mode either. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We got rid of our Honda 3000 for 2 Honda 2000's. The size & weight of the 3K was just too much, No regrets & we have 4K available which runs our 13,500 & microwave with no problem.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I just bought the Yamaha 30iSEB and it sure is quiet. I liked the electric start. I have about 6 hours on it now and am pleased. Having said that, I arrived at the campsite several weeks ago and the rest of my friends did not arrive until the next day. I didn't have anyone to help me lift the generator out of the truck bed so it stayed there and ran there. No problems. If I had to do it again I might try the 2 Honda 2000's for portability and that is what I recommend.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Look at the smaller Yamaha's. I believe that they also can be linked together; like the iS2400 series.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Folks, I ordered a new yamaha back in March and have not received it yet. The link I used was the one often discussed - US Carburetion in Summersville, WVA. I have talked with them several times, and each time I am given a reassuring answer - such as "give me your email and we'll email your order status this afternoon when we get them all lined up". Or, we got backed up and yours is next on the list - should ship in two weeks(four weeks ago). Of course, word never comes.

The good thing is that they have not hit my credit card, so I am not out of pocket, just inconvenienced. But it does make me wonder about support in the future (if they ever ship the thing). - If you get no service before they get your money, then how will they treat you afterwards?

I really want the generator - especially the propane configuration. I just want to caution the rest of you.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED
We got rid of our Honda 3000 for 2 Honda 2000's. The size & weight of the 3K was just too much, No regrets & we have 4K available which runs our 13,500 & microwave with no problem.
Ed,
How did you get rid of your unit? Newspaper ad, EBay etc? Our Yamaha 3000 was used on one trip to Colorado and I would be willing to part with it.
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
another vote for 2 x 2000 Hondas

I agree, I got the pair of 2000s last season. I always travel with one no matter where we are going. I have stopped to toast bread for sandwiches...And I keep my electric lug wrench in the tool kit just in case I have to change a flat.
I only travel with the second 2000 if I might need the A/C.
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi gen setters

it is great to read these posts from actual users,
including their regrets or other issues....
so often people aren't willing to share both sides...
which is how we really learn....

honda has conservatively rated their gensets so even operating at 100% of the rating...is only about 90% of true capacity...

also the service support network is large and widespread right now.

the yamaha side may eventually have a good sevice network...but not yet.

like vajeep, i always carry one of the hondas......for portable ac/dc power everywhere and anytime.

hondas can still be purchased for under 900$ each including shipping. still a good deal.

and 2 hondas are not louder than 1 honda......yep....figure that one out....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
and 2 hondas are not louder than 1 honda......yep....figure that one out....

It's too bad they can't make the second generator to operate at opposing wavelengths so the noise would just cancel each other out.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
I would like to thank everybody for their replies. The gist that I am getting on the Yamaha is that it is a great product, however heavy, and more difficult to get serviced. I am in my 30's and my wife her mid 20's, so we do not mind lifting the weight of the generator right now. Still, you all have me leaning towards two Hondas. I am not convinced that I want two generators as opposed to one... I have not made the purchase yet, so any more advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavis76
... I have not made the purchase yet, so any more advice would be appreciated.
I went with two Honda 2000's for a variety of reasons, but I think the most important is ease of handling.

It is very simple to link the two together. Below are some pics of a pigtail I made to join the two together - total cost about 50 bucks.

The main safety drawback on this hookup is that it is possible to have a "hot" 110 plug should one fall out - a managable risk. The "factory" pigtail comes with a protected internal connection, but I have heard that they are prone to falling out - have not actually used one (a factory unit), so I cannot confirm the problematic connector. The factory unit also comes with an internal 30 amp breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Jumper Kit.JPG
Views:	3638
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	21293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home made jumper kit.jpg
Views:	5593
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	21294  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
It's too bad they can't make the second generator to operate at opposing wavelengths so the noise would just cancel each other out.
Interesting thought... I would guess that the sound of each generator is unique, complex and different sound emissions are chaotic. There are probably enough sound characteristics in common that it might be possible to hear the cancellation under specific circumstances. Something for Honda to work on, though I suspect making a 30A light generator might be easier. Turbo diesel anyone?

I can tell by ear when a two-engined propeller plane (piston or turboprop) is flying over. The sound warbles up and down due to constructive and destructive interference of propeller sounds. If a camping neighbor complains, make it their fault -- they have to move to a dead spot. Koss makes sound cancelling earphones -- just what millionaire space-lings should wear while camping. Now if we could just do something about the smell!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #14
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have the Yamaha boost 3000. It runs the 11,000 BTU Penguin AC fine, but has to be at sea level with the fridge on gas to run the AC and the microwave together. Switch the fridge to auto or go up to 4K ft and I can only run one or the other.

It is a robust generator. I do desert boondocking in high temps and the two year old generator has lots of hours in high heat. I use synthetic oil in it but I'm a little lax about following the maintenance schedule for oil changes.

It is big and heavy but the wheels help. I run it out of the truck bed, and with the locked tailgate, the weight may make theft a little more difficult compared to more portable units. I highly recommend it.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Gang,

I had a Yamaha iS2400 that got us thru 10 days of post Wilma black-out. It ran fine and did a good job of running a portable room air conditioner and a few light circuits. As a companion to the trailer, I would go with a propane powered model.

I have just finished converting an Onan Marquis 7000 to propane. What a difference over gasoline. No noxious exhaust fumes, no varnishing of the carb or spark plugs, and the best.....run it with 2 LP tanks and an auto-change over regulator and you never have to do a hot re-fuel .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Thanks all,

I ended up buying the two Hondas. I saw a demo, and was sold. I appreciate all the replies, I was dead set on the Yamaha until I got everybody’s advice, so it is nice to have a network like this. You guys that run the Honda’s in parallel, can I run them in econo mode with the AC kicking on? Will the engine ramp up enough to overcome the spike in amps? Again thanks.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
I went with two Honda 2000's for a variety of reasons, but I think the most important is ease of handling.

It is very simple to link the two together. Below are some pics of a pigtail I made to join the two together - total cost about 50 bucks...
I assume that you are only showing part of your hookup here... the high-voltage wiring. Isn't there a low-voltage connection required to synchronize the two generators sine waves?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I've been running a Nokita (from CostCo) 2500 W generator for a couple of years, but this last trip finally convinced me I need less noise. It's not bad, but I wouldn't run it in a campground after dark (and it always starts easy--one pull, usually).

I have been thinking Yamaha because the propane fuel mod is attractive--I've wound up leaving a gallon or two of gasoline in the Nokita for a year. That killed my GenRac, but the Nokita neve seems to notice but it always worries me (not enough to do the right thing, evidently ). Using propane would eliminate that concern, plus I'd be down to two fuels--propane and diesel.

Does anyone have experience with propane on the new Yamaha 2400?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Zep - I wish you luck. I ordered one back at the end of March and not only have I not received it, I cannot get anyone there to respond with any delivery estimates. And they have not even answered the phone the last couple of days, so I have just about given up.

The problem is, I really want that unit!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Zep - I wish you luck. I ordered one back at the end of March and not only have I not received it, I cannot get anyone there to respond with any delivery estimates. And they have not even answered the phone the last couple of days, so I have just about given up.

The problem is, I really want that unit!

Pat
Have you already paid for the unit?
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote