Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 97
Where to carry gas for the generators?

Hi,

We have two Honda EU2000i (one is a Companion). I would like to carry about 2 gallons of gas in addition to what is in the generators. The question is where is the best place to carry it? I would rather not put it in the truck bed under the tonneau cover since, in my experience, the gas can gives off much more gas odor than the generators (with the vents closed).

Gas is about 6.2 pounds per gallon, so 2.5 gallons would be 15.5 pounds, or two 1.25 gallon cans would be 7.75 pounds each.

Would it be OK to put either 15.5 pounds or two 7.75 pounds on the rear bumper of the Airstream?

Or would it be OK to put it on the hitch on top of the batteries?

It seems that it might be better to spread the weight by using two 1.25 gallon cans at 7.75 pounds each instead of one 2.5 gallon can at 15.5 pounds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief
 
JDS's Avatar
 
Cumming , Iowa
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 369
Convert to propane?
John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Eharv
 
eharv's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
I also would suggest to convert them to propane----much more safe than gasoline.
__________________
EHARV
WBCCI Life VAC CAC THLU # 6610
AIR FORUMS # 16697
TAC # NM-4
GOOD SAM CLUB Life # 4704
eharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,430
Just throw 1 of these in the back of your truck. RotopaX Gas Packs- 1,2,3 and 4 Gallon Gasoline
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Lost in America
 
mojo's Avatar
 
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,961
I tow with a 2.5G can on the battery box secured with a bungee. Works fine. But then I try not to camp where I need AC and if I do, its with 30amp hook-up.
__________________
This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,809
If you decide to continue with a gas generator, this is what I use for gasoline fuel storage. No leaks, no fumes, IMO just the best containers for gasoline or diesel. I just saw R carl spoke up first. I guess I type too slow!

Fuel Cans : Gas Pack : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,621
Images: 64
We have a freind who carries her generator gas on the tongue behind the propane tanks...she rests it on a carpet sample square to cushion it and lashed it in good with bungee cords...make sure they are very secure, though...

We carry our generator gas in the bed of the truck, whcih has a tonneau cover. If the containers are tightly closed they don't put off too much odor...but they must be tightly closed.
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair & PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
#3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,621
Images: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
If you decide to continue with a gas generator, this is what I use for gasoline fuel storage. No leaks, no fumes, IMO just the best containers for gasoline or diesel. I just saw R carl spoke up first. I guess I type too slow!

Fuel Cans : Gas Pack : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com
Well those are pretty cool... I may have to look into them. I like that they are easy to pack.
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair & PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
#3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,146
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Hi,

We have two Honda EU2000i (one is a Companion). I would like to carry about 2 gallons of gas in addition to what is in the generators. The question is where is the best place to carry it? I would rather not put it in the truck bed under the tonneau cover since, in my experience, the gas can gives off much more gas odor than the generators (with the vents closed).

Gas is about 6.2 pounds per gallon, so 2.5 gallons would be 15.5 pounds, or two 1.25 gallon cans would be 7.75 pounds each.

Would it be OK to put either 15.5 pounds or two 7.75 pounds on the rear bumper of the Airstream?

Or would it be OK to put it on the hitch on top of the batteries?

It seems that it might be better to spread the weight by using two 1.25 gallon cans at 7.75 pounds each instead of one 2.5 gallon can at 15.5 pounds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Hi, for my Alaska trip, my gas can was above my battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4418RS.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	162461  
__________________
Bob 2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent" Small Silver Castle
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Well those are pretty cool... I may have to look into them. I like that they are easy to pack.
They go on sale every so often.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,795
Images: 1
We have converted to dual use, LPG.

Still use gasoline on a regular basis just to keep both systems working properly.
Pancake 5gal lpg tank stored in AS "trunk", 1 1/2 gal gas container in "tool storage" box.

Bob
Attached Images
 
__________________
Tahawus

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,809
Ammo, gasoline and propane. Bob, your ready for anything.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Ridgerunner3's Avatar
 
2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 714
Images: 13
I carry an Eagle metal safety gas tank in the bed of my truck with a topper on the bed. No fume problems. I have been using it for about 5 years without problem. I bought it from Lowes.


EAGLE 5 Gal. Metal Gas Can (Red)
__________________
Bud
Ridgerunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,050
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, for my Alaska trip, my gas can was above my battery box.
That's where I carry my Honda 1000i.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,146
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Hi, here is where I carry my Yamaha 2400.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 061.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	162520   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 062.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	162521  

__________________
Bob 2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent" Small Silver Castle
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 97
Thanks for the posts. I got a 2.5 Gallon No-Spill can, and it fits great just behind the propane tanks on the battery compartment.
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Florida 55's Avatar

 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 904
Images: 42
Blog Entries: 4
Gasoline Container

I just ordered a Rotopax gasoline container and two diesel containers. They are pricey but I found a 15% discount coupon code TACOMA which worked. Fuel Cans : Gas Pack : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com
__________________
Chuck
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
 
Airstream Dad's Avatar
 
2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 164
Images: 1
I'm posting a blog when it's all finished and set up, but I also have two Honda 2000i's and am putting together a long-run system connecting a single six gallon maritime tank via fuel lines and a "T" splitter to the two generators. Key is a "long run" sealed fuel cap for each generator. Plan is to carry the six gallon tank on my tow vehicle roof in a cargo basket. That way I can just run the fuel line to the generators without having to move it. Worst case, six gallons isn't too heavy, I just lift it off and place it next to the two generators (for example, in the woods twenty feet away for less noise). Six gallons should run the two Hondas for about 20 hours, or 3 nights of AC/ battery recharge while boon docking and not having to wake up and refill them. ;-)

Airstream Dad
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,453
Interesting, but pricey, fuel tank for generators, etc.:

http://www.transferflow.com/generator_tank.html

Does anyone have one of these?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Saco , Maine
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Dad View Post
I'm posting a blog when it's all finished and set up, but I also have two Honda 2000i's and am putting together a long-run system connecting a single six gallon maritime tank via fuel lines and a "T" splitter to the two generators. Key is a "long run" sealed fuel cap for each generator. Plan is to carry the six gallon tank on my tow vehicle roof in a cargo basket. That way I can just run the fuel line to the generators without having to move it. Worst case, six gallons isn't too heavy, I just lift it off and place it next to the two generators (for example, in the woods twenty feet away for less noise). Six gallons should run the two Hondas for about 20 hours, or 3 nights of AC/ battery recharge while boon docking and not having to wake up and refill them. ;-)

Airstream Dad
Do you have any photos of this yet? Would love to see them... I just ordered a BERG dual line 6 gallon maritime extended fuel tank for my two 2000i Yamahas... also wondering where to keep them... I can fit both Yamahas on my hitch, but no room for a gas can there... wondering if I should put one of the Yamaha generators in the RV trailer, and put the gas can on the hitch along with the other generator, for travel...
skime30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.