Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Where do you carry your genny fuel?

Just wondering if there is a recommended place on a FC 23FB to put a filled gas can for the generator? I'd rather not carry it in the bed of the pickup with the topper on and my dog riding back there. Best if it were in the open air somewhere. Not a big container, probably 2.5 gallon.
koberudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
The interior of the trailer is not good for many reasons. If the truck bed doesn’t work for you, then convert the generator to run on propane.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
This question is exactly the reason I converted my generator to propane. It's pretty easy to do, and you're already carrying propane on your rig:

https://www.journeymanblog.net/blog/...run-on-propane

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
This question is exactly the reason I converted my generator to propane. It's pretty easy to do, and you're already carrying propane on your rig:

https://www.journeymanblog.net/blog/...run-on-propane

X2….. propane is the way to go. Lots of onboard fuel on the tongue of the airstream.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
X3 gasoline stinks, spills, gums up small engines, and goes stale way too fast. I run a Champion 3400 dual fuel inverter generator only on propane.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberudy View Post
Just wondering if there is a recommended place on a FC 23FB to put a filled gas can for the generator? I'd rather not carry it in the bed of the pickup with the topper on and my dog riding back there. Best if it were in the open air somewhere. Not a big container, probably 2.5 gallon.
Hi, when my Lincoln Navigator was my tow vehicle, I mounted a Gerry Can mount on top of my battery box. Now with my F-150, my generator and gas can is mounted in the bed of my truck. I started with a 5 gallon Gerry can and changed to a 2 1/2 gallon gas can for ease of use.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I prefer gasoline to propane for multiple reasons that I won’t get into here. I agree with the comments above that propane might be a good option for your situation. That said, you might consider something from RotoPax. They make great products for transporting gasoline. I use their fuel packs mounted on a Molle rack in my truck bed, but I think you could find a reasonable way to mount one in the a-frame area on your Airstream.

Have a look at www.rotopax.com. I use the 2-gallon gasoline pack.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
We use the Wavian NATO fuel cans. they seal tight so there is no leakage or ventage in the back of the truck with the topper on. I'm sure that makes them illegal in California but so are my Honda generators. Wavians are pricey but sturdy.

The default spout is terrible though. They are not long enough so you end up spilling fuel when pouring and I've had two of them break on me which dumped full everywhere. I recommend getting a long-neck flexible fuel spout for it. I've been running with that configuration since 2015 and am very happy with it. I only have two flexible spouts as they fit all the cans. You can also get half size cans for smaller amounts of fuel.

Level 3 Container has a lid adapter which will make it easy to use the BERGS system to feed your generator(s) directly from the NATO can.

If necessary, your generator(s) can run all day/night powering your A/C with little oversight/maintenance.

Since we have no idea how long the gas will sit in the can before use, I also add Amsoil's fuel stabilizer to every can and only use ethanol-free gas.

I've successfully used fuel stored this way as old as 3 years. The fact that the cans don't vent the volatiles off from the fuel and the addition of the stabilizer gives it very long life.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Another option might be a custom mount on the truck bed topper. Here's an example of a custom RotoPax mount put on the outside of a truck bed topper. This image shows two 2-gallon gasoline cans mounted side-by-side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RotoPax custom mount.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	400377  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
All good ideas. Thanks
koberudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Gasoline fired gear and fuel really is not a good idea in a living space. Indeed, bulk propane is best left outdoors as well. Stores don't let you bring your propane tank in to swap it out for this very reason.

Storing either fuel and / or the generator in the trailer is unsafe. Even the best of the best containers can leak. Fumes are a big deal sort of hazard in an enclosed area. Explosion or fire are a much bigger issue than the stink.

We all do a lot of unsafe things so it's very much up to you how to proceed.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
After a lot of hand wringing I switched to the 'Just Rite' metal gas can.
I use the 2.5 gal because it's easier to lift than the 5 gal. Either one fits into your standard milk crate, so it never tips over and it's easy to tether to the truck bed and the bottom of the can doesn't get dings..
I never smell gas when opening the tonneau. The mechanism is very sturdy for capping the filler and pour spout (different places).
I gave up on leaky plastic cans.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I use the 2.5 gal because it's easier to lift than the 5 gal. Either one fits into your standard milk crate, so it never tips over and it's easy to tether to the truck bed and the bottom of the can doesn't get dings..
I never smell gas when opening the tonneau. The mechanism is very sturdy for capping the filler and pour spout (different places).
Totally agree with Mollysdad.

I have the 5 and the 2.5 gal justrite safety can. Cant beat them. No leak no fumes even in the summer.
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I carry the generator full of fuel in the truck bed. I carry an empty gas can. I only fill it if I am going to be in one place on the generator a couple of weeks.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Honda dual fuel...👍 Got both, use both.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0F0F5ECC-1449-4860-A37A-E3AF6AF5FD3E.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	400379   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9F7E81E-25C9-4011-BEE3-32D2C04CD004_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	400380  

Old 07-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Woodbury , CT
Syphon

I was wondering the same thing. But what about a syphon? Just like our Airstreams carry propane, our cars carry Gasoline.

https://www.gastapper.com/store/p1/Standard.html
stevegilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Propane is a great alternative and offer many practical safety and use benefits.

But for some of us, gasoline is used for the occasional boondocking generator needs.

Typical fuel canisters are terrible (read "whack" where we live in California). Those of us in the ATV and dirt bike world have an excellent option. We typically buy a thick walled plastic tank with molded handles and a wide-mouth large thread screw-on lid with a flexible reinforced fuel tube coming out the top ending in a 1" thread, which allows a 1" secure leak-proof pvc cap to be screwed on. The tank also has a pop off vent plug which eliminates suctioning when pouring. Cleverly, you can buy them at just about any offroad motorcycle dealership (KTM, Honda, Yamaha, etc.). Here in California, they are clearly labeled as not being for fuel but only for water and drinking liquids :-).

Don't store gas in any vehicle in an enclosed space (truck bed with cab). And comments about placing a gasoline canister on top of a battery box give me shivers. It isn't just how it will ride during towing, but always use your 'worst case' imagination to envision what would happen in an accident (trailer jack knifing, trailer disconnecting and dragging on chains, being t-boned from side by another vehicle, tow vehicle rolling, etc.). "An optimist is always unpleasantly surprise while a pessimist is always unpleasantly surprised."

Consider keeping any gasoline canister empty during towing until relatively close to your camping destination. You can't be too careful.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Some of this depends on what you are trying to do. There's lots of reasons to haul a generator ( and lots of reasons not to ...). We don't all do this based on the same objectives.

If you have no solar and are running stock batteries and like to be off grid and a "smart control" trailer ( yes a lot of and's ...) then running a generator may be a daily sort of thing.

If you have monster solar and carry a generator for that one in a thousand "just in case" string of very cloudy days, you may never actually use the generator at all, let alone on this or that trip.

If you are one of the hardy few that camp a 4 hour drive from the nearest fuel supply, that eight hour round trip is going to be a factor.

If you are off grid right now in the middle of the country and *know* you will be running both of the A/C's every day / every night for the next two weeks, you either need a whole bunch of fuel cans or a full time driver to do fuel runs.

Lots of variables and lots of very different use cases. No one easy solution that fits all of them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
I use a Eagle 5 Gal can. Just finished a 3 week trip with it and the Honda in the back of my Cayenne. I put each one in a black trash bag and never had any sense of gas odor during the entire trip.

https://www.eagle-mfg.com/type-i-ste...ter-red-ui50fs
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I have 2 of the 5 gals. Great cans.

I also carry a Surecan, another nice product

Name:   sure can.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  2.7 KB

Wow, thats a small can. I swear it's bigger,,,,,,,maybe not.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote