Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Victron Orion dc-dc charger question

I haven't run my new DC-DC charger on a trip yet, so I only have limited observations to go by. I hooked up a car booster battery to the umbilical to test it and set it up. It seemed to automatically grab my custom charge routine which I set up for the solar charger...from the app???
Is that the way you all understand the dc-dc charger operates? It just uses the parameters of the chosen "global" charge routine and does not have its own selection?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
The purpose is to provide a user defined constant output voltage whether to optimize charging specific battery types or to optimize use of sensitive electronic equipment.

PKYS has a short blog on this topic:

https://shop.pkys.com/DC-Power-Conditioning

Were you expecting the charger to 'read' the type of battery/equipment its supplying?

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
The purpose is to provide a user defined constant output voltage whether to optimize charging specific battery types or to optimize use of sensitive electronic equipment.

PKYS has a short blog on this topic:

https://shop.pkys.com/DC-Power-Conditioning

Were you expecting the charger to 'read' the type of battery/equipment its supplying?
No, what I am saying, and observed is this:
I previously had a victron smart solar controller and had it set to a custom charge routine as closely matching lifeline requirements as possible.
When I later installed the victron smart DC-DC charger, it appeared to just grab the custom program previously set up, and active, for the controller, without any additional action on my part.
Question was.....is that the modus operandi for the victron smart network?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Following

Interesting. I wonder of the charge controllers indeed "talk" to each other. For my recently installed 712 and DC-DC, i had to set the parameters separately. But the 712 is not a charge controller. I really like the App and interface.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
We have been playing with the features of the Orion here at the shop the last couple of weeks.

It has several preset charge routines, some of which may be VERY similar to what you have set your other devices to, lithium settings seems to be the first one that comes up when you first turn the Orion to "charger".

Another thing you will need to do, depending how you plan on using your Orion, is to make sure your pigtail ground coming into the trailer, is also jumped to the bus bar.

This way your lights, and brakes work, not relying on the Orion to be in "charging mode" for these functions.

Also, you may have to take the charge vehicle time delay from 120 seconds, down to 0 seconds, depending on your TV manufacturer. Ford's don't look very long for a trailer, and when the delay is active, can make for some very odd operation, if it turns on at all.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerman View Post
We have been playing with the features of the Orion here at the shop the last couple of weeks.

It has several preset charge routines, some of which may be VERY similar to what you have set your other devices to, lithium settings seems to be the first one that comes up when you first turn the Orion to "charger".

Another thing you will need to do, depending how you plan on using your Orion, is to make sure your pigtail ground coming into the trailer, is also jumped to the bus bar.

This way your lights, and brakes work, not relying on the Orion to be in "charging mode" for these functions.

Also, you may have to take the charge vehicle time delay from 120 seconds, down to 0 seconds, depending on your TV manufacturer. Ford's don't look very long for a trailer, and when the delay is active, can make for some very odd operation, if it turns on at all.
Thanks. With the victron solar controller and the Orion on the network together, the battery presets are identical to the solar presets...including the two user defined presets I previously created in the controller settings menu.
Good to know about the delay causing potential problems with the itbc. That would have been a head scratcher at first trip departure time.
I had previously read about the ground issue. All my system grounds go to the negative buss. I had to add an additional buss as I have added components over the years. Ran out of room on the OEM one.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In order for any of the Victron devices to network ( talk) together, you need to go through a bunch of stuff to enable that ability *and* to introduce each device to the other. Without that all being done, even the stuff that can network will simply run stand alone.

Why? You very much do *not* want your setup randomly hooking up with the setup in the trailer / MH / boat .... you just pulled up next to ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

In order for any of the Victron devices to network ( talk) together, you need to go through a bunch of stuff to enable that ability *and* to introduce each device to the other. Without that all being done, even the stuff that can network will simply run stand alone.

Why? You very much do *not* want your setup randomly hooking up with the setup in the trailer / MH / boat .... you just pulled up next to ....

Bob
Right, I left that out. I should have said, after setting up the Orion and adding to the network, it automatically assumed the custom charge routine I had previously set up for the solar controller.

I also previously had the smart temp sensor, and battery protect on the network.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Friends,

Please excuse my lack of expertise here... and entertain my sidebar question.

I have a Victron Isolated DC to DC Converter 12 / 12- 30 installed. I thought that in my setup it was to help protect the TV alternator since I switched to Lithiums.

What does the # 30 signify?

Thank you very much!

j
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #10
Delaware ZMan

2016 22' Sport
Lewes , Delaware
From Victron Energy data sheet

Continuous output current (30 amps) at nominal output voltage and 40C.
patzele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So if you set it up for 14V, you will get a bit less out (it's power limited at 360W). Input current will be a bit above 30A due to loss in the converter. If the input is down around 10 or 11V, the input current will be even higher still.

Not something you want to put on a 30A fuse ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #12
Delaware ZMan

2016 22' Sport
Lewes , Delaware
Check out his whole series

https://www.explorist.life/how-serie...mps-and-volts/
patzele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Thank you
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just as an fyi, with the last firmware update, I can now select any of the charge routines from the orion menu.