Old 08-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Freehold , New York
Victron Orion 12V to 12V converter

Just finishing up my solar/lithium battery conversion and everything tests out fine except turning on the Victron 12V to 12V converter. I wired the positive and negative from 7-way to the + and - input on the converter ; and the output side of the converter to the positive and negative bus bars. When I start the TV the converter does not turn on and the 7-way remains inactive (no turn signals etc. on trailer). There is a remote switch jumper on the converter but the instructions are 1 sentence and I just don't follow it.

I know some of you have used a 12V to 12V converter to protect your lithium batteries while towing so I would appreciate any info you can provide on how you wired it in. Thanks for your help.

Mike

mikedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Most modern tow vehicles put no power on the 7 pin connector *until* it recognizes there is a trailer present. No turn signals likely means the tow does not know the trailer is present.

What else could it be:

1) You blew a fuse (... done that myself ...)

2) The plug isn't in all the way ( ... done that as well )

3) The 7 pin got wired wrong in the conversion process (check the ground ....)

The magic jumper on the Orion shorts out the two pins you would connect a switch to. If you want to be able to turn the Orion on and off with a switch, pull the jumper and put a switch across those pins. (This *assumes* it'a an Orion-Tr).

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Shouldn't the 12V from your Orion go directly to your 12V bus bars? And shouldn't your converter be powered by 110AC and 12V output from your converter got to your 12V bus bars?--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Ignore my last post--I re-read your post and realize by converter you meant the Orion voltage converter.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
ive posted a query here in the victron forum

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/v...-solarchargers
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Freehold , New York
OK, so I bypass the Orion tr 12-12-18 and just hotwire the pos. and neg. input and output wires which means it is back to the stock configuration and the trailer lights all work. But when I place the Orion in the path nothing happens. The Orion does not turn on and the trailer lights do not work. There is no replaceable fuse on the 12-12-18, so perhaps it is defective? I think I'll give PKSY a call.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Johannes Boonstra
from Victron wrote 4 hours ago

Hello,
Quote:
I cant help you on which PIN is what on these installations , but if the Orion gets a input voltage which is within range, it will automatically start.
There is no minimal load or such.
also i had a bad victron MPPT controller.

it took 4 months to get a replacement from victron (;
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Quick way to check it:

Wire the input to a 12V battery and check the output with a multimeter. Also, probably a good idea to re-seat the jumper.

Bob
Old 08-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I installed the same DC-DC converter

I just installed the same DC-DC converter a couple weeks ago. Make sure that the terminals marked "Remote" are connected together. The Orion won't work otherwise. I actually tied them to a switch so that I can turn it On or Off. I'm charged by solar, so charging by the truck is just for emergencies.

I tested the Orion step by step this way: I measured the 12v line coming from the truck to make sure it really has power, and connected these to the input terminals of the Orion once I verified it. Then, while the truck is running (I won't get 12v on the 7 way plug unless the ignition is on), I measured the output voltage of the Orion before attaching it to the 12v bus bar. I then adjusted it to 14.2 using the potentiometer, for charging the lithium battery. I verified that I could turn this voltage off and on by using the remote switch. I then connected the output of the Orion to the bus bar, and tested it again. The voltage won't go to 14.2, because the current is limited to 20A by the Orion. To verify it was working, I used a bluetooth connection to the Victron 702 battery monitor to see there was nearly 20A charging the battery.

I don't know where you may have the issue, but testing the Orion step by step is a good way to identify which step isn't acting properly.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Most modern tow vehicles put no power on the 7 pin connector *until* it recognizes there is a trailer present. No turn signals likely means the tow does not know the trailer is present.

What else could it be:

1) You blew a fuse (... done that myself ...)

2) The plug isn't in all the way ( ... done that as well )

3) The 7 pin got wired wrong in the conversion process (check the ground ....)

The magic jumper on the Orion shorts out the two pins you would connect a switch to. If you want to be able to turn the Orion on and off with a switch, pull the jumper and put a switch across those pins. (This *assumes* it'a an Orion-Tr).

Bob
Add to that list that some trucks, later model Fords for sure, don’t turn on pin 7 power until they decide you are “driving.” My F150 doesn’t power up that pin until you’ve pressed the brake and put it in drive.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Freehold , New York
Following Larry9000's suggestion, I replaced the jumper wire and hooked up directly to an extra battery and the Orion turned on. Then hooked the voltmeter to the output and got 12V, set the potentiometer for 14.35V and thought I had it figured out. The Orion definitely seems to be working correctly.

Here's the rest of the story. I have a battery shut off switch installed. If I hook the 7-way +/- lines directly to the +/- bus bars with the ignition off, the car keys in my pocket, the headlight switch off, and the battery disconnect turned to off, I get 12 volts from the car battery measured across the bus bars. Turn the headlight switch on and the trailer lights
work. Wire up the Orion and nothing, turn on the ignition, start the car, put it in drive, nothing. One other thing, if I measure the+/- wires on the 7-way when not connected to the bus bars they show no voltage, it is only when they are connected to the bus bars that I get 12 volts. So the Orion appears to be blocking the TV from sensing the load? TV is a 2014 Porsche Cayenne.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Freehold , New York
One more thought. When I installed the Prodigy brake booster into the factory installed trailer harness, I had to add a relay because the Porsche had trouble recognizing the low draw of the LED lights on the trailer and would turn on. Any chance that a similar situation is happening here? The TV doesn’t sense a load when the Orion is hooked up so it doesn't turn on the juice so the Orion doesn't turn on. TV needs to send a load to turn on and the Orion needs the input to turn on; what now.....lol.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The wire that the Orion *should* be hooked to will show zero load ( no current ) on a "typical" trailer.

The 7 pin ground wire should go to the chassis of the trailer / negative bus on the trailer. If it does not, there will be all sorts of weird issues with the lights. ( like they work when hitched sometimes and never when unhitched). The negative input in the Orion also goes to the chassis of the trailer / negative bus ( = it goes to exactly the same place as the negative output wire ).

Bob
Old 08-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Freehold , New York
Thank you Bob! That fixed the trailer lights so they work correctly now. But the Orion is still not turning on, so there is still something preventing current through the positive lead. Not the end of the world now that the trailer lights work but it would be nice to have the Orion help charge the batteries when needed.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedebi View Post
Thank you Bob! That fixed the trailer lights so they work correctly now. But the Orion is still not turning on, so there is still something preventing current through the positive lead. Not the end of the world now that the trailer lights work but it would be nice to have the Orion help charge the batteries when needed.
Hi

Ok, so now it's time to look at the "smarts" on the tow vehicle and see if it is powering up the 7 pin connector power pin or not. Most of them only send power once the vehicle is in "running down the road" configuration. That may include hitting the brakes. It may include being in gear. It might include getting above 5 mph ..... lots of variables. Try running it around the block and see what happens.

Bob

Tags
12v