Old 09-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Victron 100/30 Charge Controller displaying wrong voltage

Last year I had a dealer install 2 100Ah Battleborn Batteries and a Victron BMV712. The batteries and battery monitor have worked great since install.

Last week I had our new dealer install 2 100 Watt Zamp Obsidian panels on our 2019 Flying Cloud 19 running into a Victron 100/30 MPPT charge controller. I programmed the charge controller to the settings recommended by Battleborn.

The Victron Connect app, screenshot attached, says the charge controller (Progressive Dynamics 55 amp Lithium) is off. I think this is because the solar charge controller is getting a wildly incorrect voltage reading of 21.64V?

Any idea on what might be wrong and how to troubleshoot? My electric skills are mostly non-existent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	377842  
chicagoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Check to make sure the wires from the solar panels and to the batteries are connected to the correct terminals on the solar charger because your readings seem like they could be reversed-- 21 V is a plausible reading for the solar panels and 13 V for the batteries?
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Thank you, I think you nailed it. The green and yellow should go into PV and the black and red to the batteries correct?

They clearly didn't check this before finishing the job.

Can I just reverse these? I'm now questioning everything else they did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 2.26.45 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	377859  
Old 09-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Yes, but be sure to connect the battery leads first and then the PV. Your solar controller has probably autosensed a 24V battery system and needs to reset to a 12V system.
Pat
pdavitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Thank you both! After building up the electrical courage I believe I fixed it?

I've attached a picture of the controller as well as an updated screenshot from the Victron Connect app.

I think I'm good to go? We are set to leave on a trip tomorrow for 6 nights of boondocking with lows in the 20s and I want to make sure we are all set. The alternative is delaying the trip and heading to the dealer at 9am Tuesday morning to get it sorted... or tying the cables off and bringing the portable panel I was trying to replace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 6.00.09 PM.png
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	377873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	377874  

Old 09-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoair View Post
Thank you both! After building up the electrical courage I believe I fixed it?

I've attached a picture of the controller as well as an updated screenshot from the Victron Connect app.

I think I'm good to go? We are set to leave on a trip tomorrow for 6 nights of boondocking with lows in the 20s and I want to make sure we are all set. The alternative is delaying the trip and heading to the dealer at 9am Tuesday morning to get it sorted... or tying the cables off and bringing the portable panel I was trying to replace.

You have it right. Just curious about the 1 watt part. Is it dark out right now? If not something still isn't right. Also by the way, when the app talks about the charge controller status being 'on' or 'off', they are talking about the Victron 100/30, not the Progressive dynamics, which is the charger that turns on when plugged in to shore power.

It is frightening that a dealer wired it backwards like they did. I would avoid them at all costs (and I can't imagine what you paid them for such poor work).
pcskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Sure seems reasonable readings right now (it seems to think the battery is fully charged or there’s not much sunlight.) It doesn’t fill one with confidence about the rest of the work that dealer did, though. Does the battery monitor seem to be working okay? For example does it show the battery charging when the solar panels are generating power? Just verifying they tapped the solar controller in downstream of the battery monitor.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Just curious about the 1 watt part. Is it dark out right now? If not something still isn't right.
It's not dark, but there is wildfire smoke in the sky and the sun is on its way down. I also thought it should be higher? Could it be because it's in Absorption?

Quote:
It is frightening that a dealer wired it backwards like they did.
I'm also not getting a % reading on the BMV 712 now which makes me think they wired it directly to the battery and missed the shunt I had in there...
Old 09-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Does the battery monitor seem to be working okay? For example does it show the battery charging when the solar panels are generating power? Just verifying they tapped the solar controller in downstream of the battery monitor.
It seems off now, it's not giving a % charge back.

I'm afraid to post the next picture and see what else they missed...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 6.28.17 PM.png
Views:	16
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	377875  
Old 09-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
There should be a percentage reading on the BMV unless it was turned off in the configuration. Try turning on some heavy load DC devices, maybe the inverter with a decent load, and draw the battery down a bit. Turn off all the loads. Then notice if the BMV shows any charging going on from solar.

Sometimes the Victron controllers won’t charge the battery further during the day after it thinks it has fully charged the Lithium battery starting in the morning. It depends on if it is coordinating with the BMV. Earlier revisions of the software didn’t unless you also had a Venus or related controller. I don’t know these days.

I can’t tell on the picture where they ran the negative from the charge controller. Basically there should be no wires connected to the battery or input of the shunt except the heavy wire going between the battery negative , the other battery negative, and the shunt.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
It's not dark, but there is wildfire smoke in the sky and the sun is on its way down. I also thought it should be higher? Could it be because it's in Absorption?

I'm also not getting a % reading on the BMV 712 now which makes me think they wired it directly to the battery and missed the shunt I had in there...

Can you easily access the shunt and see if the BMV 712 is plugged in to it via the telephone cord? Did they mount the BMV 712 in the wall somewhere, or just leave it in the rat's nest area since you can use bluetooth to read the settings?

"Absorption" mode is stage 2 of charging. First is 'Bulk', then absorption usually for many hours depending on Battery SOC, and if fully charge, it would be in 'float' mode on the Victron controller. The fact that the controller is showing as 'on' and in 'absorption' mode is a good sign. MAYBE there simply isn't enough sunlight getting through at this point. Morning will tell you.

Forget about 'percentage charged' for now and select the net amperage readout on the BMV monitor -- the one that simply says 'amp', and see if it shows a negative amperage with some loads on in the trailer, even just lights. That will confirm that at least it's hooked up.
pcskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Can you easily access the shunt and see if the BMV 712 is plugged in to it via the telephone cord? Did they mount the BMV 712 in the wall somewhere, or just leave it in the rat's nest area since you can use bluetooth to read the settings?
Thanks for the replies, the BMV 712 is in the wall, it was installed about 18 months ago by Airstream of Chicago who did a great job, it's worked great until I got the wires correct a few minutes ago. Everything looks to still be connected correctly.

It was a different dealer on the new panels and charge controller...

The BMV 712 is showing a draw with the fans and some lights on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2713.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	377881  
Old 09-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Try “rebooting” the solar charge controller. You’d disconnect the PV positive and then disconnect the battery positive. Wait 10 seconds or so, and then reverse that. If you have a master disconnect for the whole trailer you could do that instead.

Do both the BMV and the solar controller show up on your Victron app? Does it come back to life?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
I can’t tell on the picture where they ran the negative from the charge controller. Basically there should be no wires connected to the battery or input of the shunt except the heavy wire going between the battery negative , the other battery negative, and the shunt.
Thanks for your help, I've roughly traced the charge controller negative in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 6.28.17 PM.png
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	377885  
Old 09-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
So that precludes the BMV from seeing the solar charging! You want to move that to the other side of the shunt or basically ANY OTHER GROUND!
Old 09-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Try “rebooting” the solar charge controller. You’d disconnect the PV positive and then disconnect the battery positive. Wait 10 seconds or so, and then reverse that. If you have a master disconnect for the whole trailer you could do that instead.

Do both the BMV and the solar controller show up on your Victron app? Does it come back to life?
I think this did it! I used the full trailer disconnect I had added to the battery box awhile back. Sorry for my slow understanding, I'm in way over my head on this and was just trying to go camping for the week.

Both the Solar Charge Controller and Battery Monitor show up in the app, the % is back but showing 100%, I think it's the thing the BMV712 does after a reset is reset it to 100%?

The charge controller also moved from Absorb to Float a few minutes after the reboot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2715.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	377886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2717.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	377887  

Old 09-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
That’s all encouraging. At this point, with the sun going down, it’s hard to know but if it were me I’d go camping! I certainly wouldn’t take it back to those jokers!

If something doesn’t seem right feel free to DM me. Just watch to see if the solar starts charging in the morning and shows up on the BMV like it should.

Have a good time!
Old 09-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
So that precludes the BMV from seeing the solar charging! You want to move that to the other side of the shunt or basically ANY OTHER GROUND!
When you say other side... if I didn't know anything where would I put it?
Old 09-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
That’s all encouraging. At this point, with the sun going down, it’s hard to know but if it were me I’d go camping! I certainly wouldn’t take it back to those jokers!

If something doesn’t seem right feel free to DM me. Just watch to see if the solar starts charging in the morning and shows up on the BMV like it should.

Have a good time!
Thank you so much for all your help! I will see how it looks in the morning and make a call on leaving or hopping back to this thread. At least it seems safe and the batteries useable. We should make it the 6 nights if we have the portable panel as a backup...
Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
When you say other side... if I didn't know anything where would I put it?
You’d put it on the side of the shunt that has the blue terminal on it or, if that’s hard, any other handy ground in the trailer.

Without moving that wire your BMV won’t have any idea of the charging being done by the solar panels. It’s safe, though.