Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2020 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 37
VHB and mounting bracket size

Hi all,
I have been researching rigid solar panel for my Caravel 16'. It seems like the only panel that fits the limited roof space is Zamp 90w slim. After reading many posts here I have decided to do a VHB + sealant install without drilling.

https://www.zampsolar.com/90watt-long

Note the mounting bracket is different than Am solar's VHB bracket
https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-35ms


I am wondering if Zamp's brackets' feet are too small for VHB to get a secure bond? Has anyone had experience with these brackets?

Also part of the roof is painted white, so the VHB would have to bond to the paint instead of aluminum sheeting. Is that a problem?

Thanks!
__________________

hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovr View Post
Hi all,
I have been researching rigid solar panel for my Caravel 16'. It seems like the only panel that fits the limited roof space is Zamp 90w slim. After reading many posts here I have decided to do a VHB + sealant install without drilling.

https://www.zampsolar.com/90watt-long

Note the mounting bracket is different than Am solar's VHB bracket
https://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-35ms


I am wondering if Zamp's brackets' feet are too small for VHB to get a secure bond? Has anyone had experience with these brackets?




Also part of the roof is painted white, so the VHB would have to bond to the paint instead of aluminum sheeting. Is that a problem?

Thanks!

Hi hovr, I just completed doing this so while its fresh on my brain, here's what I did. I used renogy brackets which were smaller than am solars, I used 4950 vhb tape to bond to roof and sikaflix over each brackets foot. I covered the brackets with a garbage bag for about 3 days because I'm parked under trees in my driveway, nothings worse than having twigs, leaves in your nice new sikaflix Those brackets are going nowhere. I would scape or remove paint from where you plan on placing each bracket/foot, then make sure the area is cleaned thoroughly, I used rubbing alcohol. Good luck!
__________________

Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Gsmblue's Avatar
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 719
When I had my Zamp panels put on (by Zamp), I was told that the Zamp feet are not as big as the AM solar feet and they do not recommend the VHB method for that reason.

The Zamp team are great, call them and they will happily give you their first hand opinion.

Always best to get it straight from the horses mouth!
__________________
https://britishairstream.blogspot.com
Mad Astrophysicist turned sales guy that works to fund his dirty snowboarding habbit, mwah-ha-ha . . .
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2020 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
Hi hovr, I just completed doing this so while its fresh on my brain, here's what I did. I used renogy brackets which were smaller than am solars, I used 4950 vhb tape to bond to roof and sikaflix over each brackets foot. I covered the brackets with a garbage bag for about 3 days because I'm parked under trees in my driveway, nothings worse than having twigs, leaves in your nice new sikaflix Those brackets are going nowhere. I would scape or remove paint from where you plan on placing each bracket/foot, then make sure the area is cleaned thoroughly, I used rubbing alcohol. Good luck!
Thanks!
did you use these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR3KFKE..._FSFdFbZQBR0QN

These brackets looks good, 1x4 contact area should be good. do you find it difficult to tighten the screws from underside, especially for the 2 towards the center of the roof?

-Hovr
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovr View Post
Thanks!
did you use these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR3KFKE..._FSFdFbZQBR0QN

These brackets looks good, 1x4 contact area should be good. do you find it difficult to tighten the screws from underside, especially for the 2 towards the center of the r

-Hovr
I got those and also the ones for curved roofs. The flat brackets I used on top and the curved ones towards the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-...57239297&psc=1

As for tightening the top bolts you just need small wrenches which helped a lot with the install. Also placing the top brackets closest to the solar panel corners. Tighten the top bolts first before doing the bottom ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC6240F0-9C20-431A-824F-5F0A733551B1.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	372902  
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745
 
guskmg's Avatar

 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,201
My 32 bonded AM mounts are still there after 5 seasons. I would recommend you clean the mounting area with carburetor cleaner. No need to scrape away the paint.
guskmg
guskmg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,720
Images: 5
I wouldn't remove the paint either. I used several applications of a quality cleaner/wax to remove all oxidation and impurities. Then several rub downs with prep solvent to remove all wax. Likewise, it has been about 5 years with no lost adhesion.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,341
Images: 1
AM brackets are the gold standard. 32 feet with VHB/silkaflex and 3 seasons later no problemo.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0761.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	373029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	373030  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	373031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	373032  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2020 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
AM brackets are the gold standard. 32 feet with VHB/silkaflex and 3 seasons later no problemo.......
$80/set pricing is pretty hard to swallow . For your setup it's $80x8 = $640 :O
__________________

hovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing solar panels mounted with VHB cerickson Generators & Solar Power 13 03-05-2018 09:21 PM
Which VHB Tape for Mounting Solar Panels pteck Generators & Solar Power 1 08-31-2017 12:15 PM
Using VHB Tape on International Interior Wall CAK General Interior Topics 13 08-14-2017 12:58 PM
Odd response from 3M about VHB 4950 tape woundedpig Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 10 06-30-2017 09:14 PM
VHB installation in winter Troutboy Boondocking 2 01-07-2017 07:22 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.