Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Unusual Generator Question

I am considering the purchase of a Honda 1000i generator, or equivalent Yamaha (surprisingly its dB specifications are quieter than the Honda), just to charge up the batteries from time to time. I'm still extremely cautious about installing solar. There are 50% who say solar is wonderful, and 50% who don't.

The outside compartments on my 2005 25' Safari (twin bed) are wonderful, but are too small to hold a generator sitting in its normal vertical stance.

Can a generator be transported on its side? I would expect to have to drain the gas tank before placing it on its side, but would it also be necessary to run the generator dry after draining the gas tank? And even then, might it leak some gasoline after placing it on its side?

Thanks,
Old 09-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I wouldn't:

My Honda 2000 EUi has crank-case oil in it. I'm pretty sure the 1000 will also. That to me would be a 'NO', at least not easily. I keep thee 2K in a Rubbermaid 'tote' in the back of the pick-up under the hard tonneau (Aluminum of course!-Mountain Top).
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I wouldn't either Neil. If you can't haul it in your tow veh, you could drain the gas and haul it in the trailer. You might want to put it in a box or secure it some way so that it doesn't turn over.

If you lay it on its side, chances are you are going to have motor oil getting into places where its not supposed to be, including the floor of your storage compartment.

BTW, I have the Yamaha and like it very much.

Lee
LeeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Very hard to get all the gas out

Neil, I attempted to drain/syphon the gas out of my 2000i last weekend and did not succeed in getting it all. I also agree with the other responders about the oil. I would be worried it would seep into places that would cause operational problems if stored laying on its side. The 1000i (and even the 2000i) are small enough to enclose sitting up in a sealed plastic carrier that could go in the back of your SUV. Of course it's mostly the gas fumes from the spare gas can I wouldn't want in the back.
Ken
Old 09-10-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
For those that are interested, you can buy a propane conversion kit for the EU2000i for around $250. You should have at least a 30# tank to have enough vapor.

Propane Generator Conversion Kits
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I have a Honda EU2000i. I carry it in the back of my tow vehicle (Ford Explorer), inside a giant Rubbermaid bin. This controls the gas smell and keeps things clean. I do not carry an extra gas can. I fill up the generator when I fill the car - which would be a hassle if I was camped in one place for a long time. I would not store the generator on it's side.

Strongly consider the EU2000i over EU1000i. It will power everything except the A/C - and by adding a second one you can run A/C too. It's also handy at home if the power fails. The purchase price is not much more either.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Neil--I have a Yamaha 1000i,very similar to the Honda. they both use a 4 stroke engine thus you have engine oil as well as regular gasoline that would have to be drained if stored on it's side. Am curious why you want to do that unless storage space is a problem. It would be a "pain" to do this every time you put it away. My Yamaha is only slightly taller than it's wide so I can't see the necessity of laying it over. Also to concider is the generator is encased in plastic and bouncing it around on it's side is sure to damage the case. Like some others I carry my in a plastic storage tub after shutting the fuel off and alowing the engine to run the fuel out of the carb. Don't know about the Honda but the Yamaha has a vented fuel cap that can be turned off for transportation and storage. Even after doing all this you can still smell some fuel odors so I don't know how it would be if carried inside your trailer or passinger compartment without being inside a container with a lid. As a side note these work really well for what you mentioned , that of keeping your batterys charged. I use a small 15 amp. automotive battery charger along with my generator. By doing this you can run the generator at just above an idle and still charge the batterys at a 15 amp rate. If you charge them directly from the generator you have to run the generator at govenor speed and still only get about 8amps out put. By using the charger you can run at least twice as long on a tank of fuel. Hope that helps ---Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Neil

Just looked at the book, it says to store in an upright position, Sorry.
Too much chance of getting oil where is does not belong.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Thanks all for your input. Looks like it is definite, generators do not get to lie down to rest. I like the idea of the generator powering a battery charger, thus doubling the charge rate to the batteries. My original reason for weanting to lay it down was because the 3 storage compartments in my 2005 25' Safari (twin beds) are each only about 12 inches high.

The suggestions of turning off the fuel, running the carb dry, placing into a plastic storage bin and storing it in the SUV (or trailer) sounds great as long as there would be no gas/oil smell. The wife would NOT like that (nor the dogs).

One further question. I have heard that one AZ Honda 1000i user found that it could not run the converter and have any charge left over to charge the batteries. Consequently, he connects the 1000i directly to the batteries rather than to the 120V inlet cable. Anyone else observe the same?

The reason I am interested in the 1000i, rather than the 2000i, is the weight. I believe the 1000i is 29# whereas the 2000i is 46#.

Thanks,
Old 09-10-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I spent a lot of time thinking about which one to get. The extra capacity will never make me unhappy. I also found the 2000 for $955, so I bought it.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Have used mine plugged into the converter but it must be run a govenor speed to get anything much to the battery, am thinking it was only a couple amps. We use ours that way sometimes at night when we have lots of lights,heater, radio or tv on even when the batterys are at full charge. ----- Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Boy, looks like a lot of trouble to carry a generator...

Sure glad I went solar!

Actually, I do like our solar system but see the merits of having a generator too. The only problem I perceive, like Neil, is storage. I want my "future" generator in a sealed container. Gasoline fumes give me a headache. One of those Rubbermaid containers is what I store my chainsaw in. Frankly, that's fine for the garage but not for my truck or trailer. They don't seal out the fumes well enough. Gasoline seems to be a migraine trigger for many folks.

I was in the pet store the other day and saw an airtight container used for pet food storage. It was manufactured by Gamma Plastics Company out of San Diego. Now, if I could get my hands on something like it for storing a small genset...

Any ideas on where to find an airtight storage container for a small generator?

Also, would it be critical to completely drain the generator of gasoline before storing in an airtight container for safety considerations? Might not be worth all the hassle... Thoughts on this?

As always, thanks for the insight.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:04 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
how about?

Quote:
Any ideas on where to find an airtight storage container for a small generator?
how about a surplus 40 mm ammo box?

they are completly water/air tight. wonder if they are large enough?

john
Old 09-11-2004, 08:42 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

We have a Honda 2000 generator and carry it on the frame just behind the propane tanks. It fits snugly between the tank cover and the front front panel of the Airstream. Our's is a 28ft so that may not work on the 25, but you might try it. Just as information, we also have solar panels and they work great most of the time, but clouds and trees are the enemies of solar energy so the generator often comes in handy. An added benefit of solar is that we don't have to listen to the humm of the converter when plugged into AC.
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreaker
We have a Honda 2000 generator and carry it on the frame just behind the propane tanks. It fits snugly between the tank cover and the front front panel of the Airstream. Our's is a 28ft so that may not work on the 25, but you might try it. Just as information, we also have solar panels and they work great most of the time, but clouds and trees are the enemies of solar energy so the generator often comes in handy. An added benefit of solar is that we don't have to listen to the humm of the converter when plugged into AC.
That's what I was going to suggest, that they look for a way to modify the front to carry it.
I don't think carrying it on its side is going to work because oil can flood the top cylinder heads. Think that is why they tell you to store it upright.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
EU 2000i under $900

FYI - I picked up my 2000i from the friendly folks at H**** Equipment (not sure if I can make blatant plugs on the forum) in OK for under $900. With shipping to AZ it came in around $920. Check the Honda website for dealers. I plan to get a 2nd one and the parallel kit before next summer. That and our solar panels keep us well powered in the boonies.
Ken
Old 09-11-2004, 09:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
FYI - I picked up my 2000i from the friendly folks at H**** Equipment (not sure if I can make blatant plugs on the forum) in OK for under $900. With shipping to AZ it came in around $920. Check the Honda website for dealers. I plan to get a 2nd one and the parallel kit before next summer. That and our solar panels keep us well powered in the boonies.
Ken
Ken,

You can shamelessly plug whomever you want, IMHO.

Go for it!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Shameless plug for...

Well all right it's Hayes Equipment. Looks like both Hondas are currently out of stock, but I'd give them a call. The Yamaha is in stock.
Ken
Old 09-11-2004, 03:22 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreaker
SilverStreaker,

Looks like you are in AZ too. I'm located in Surprise. You placed yours behind the propane tanks. One might fit there on my 2005 25' but it would have to sit on top of the battery housing. How did you secure yours in that location?

Thanks,
Old 09-11-2004, 04:09 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Neil,

Yes, we are in Sun Lakes, AZ (Near Chandler). We strap ours down with heavy duty shock cords, and to deter theft we attach a heavy duty cable and lock when we are not in the area.

Our batteries are on either side of the frame, so they are not in the way. There is a storage area welded into and even with the top of the frame just behind the propane tanks and the generator sits on that. If I can find some short one gallon gas containers they will go in the storage compartment under the generator.
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote