Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Julie-Bob's Avatar
 
2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 750
Images: 2
Two Honda Companion

Can I parallel two Honda EU2200i companion generators together?? I canít fine anything that say NO. I know that the one has two 15 amp plugs and the other one has one 15 and a 30 amp plug. But Iím asking two Hondaís with 30amp plugs. Yes I know that I can only use one plug for the 30amp service.
__________________
Bob & Julie # 5587, 4CU in AZ
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
B. Cole's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Can I parallel two Honda EU2200i companion generators together?? I can’t fine anything that say NO. I know that the one has two 15 amp plugs and the other one has one 15 and a 30 amp plug. But I’m asking two Honda’s with 30amp plugs. Yes I know that I can only use one plug for the 30amp service.
What I affectionately call "Daisy Chaining" two small 15 Amp output each generators, is most commonly done in the camping trailer world with those size ( 2,000+ Starting Watt) Hondas.In
In other words, those are the generators most commonly made to be paralleled together, and are the darlings of the Airstream crowd.
That would explain the 30 Amp outlet on the downstream "Companion"
To me,it's like getting the smallest tow vehicle possible.Then wondering why it won't do what's really needed.
To get one true 30 Amp generator, ( that you simply would plug your 30 Amp Airstream cord into), you want like 4,375 Starting Watts / 3,500 Running Watts, or larger.
Divide any generators smaller running Watts number by 120 ( Volts) to get Approximate AMP output.
There are 100s of small Honda generator experts in this forum, doing exactly what you are asking about, that's the crowd that puts "Soft starts" on their rooftop AC units.
If I want to run 2 roof AC units, I'm just starting up my 50 Amp generator, no soft starts needed .Im not one of that smaller is better crowd, I just beat them all here ...
__________________
Airstream rodeo clown, it's my turn in the barrel 🤡
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
s1000pre's Avatar
 
2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 480
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Can I parallel two Honda EU2200i companion generators together?? I canít fine anything that say NO. I know that the one has two 15 amp plugs and the other one has one 15 and a 30 amp plug. But Iím asking two Hondaís with 30amp plugs. Yes I know that I can only use one plug for the 30amp service.
This link should do a good job answering this for you.
https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...lel-capability
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
What I affectionately call "Daisy Chaining" two small 15 Amp output each generators, is most commonly done in the camping trailer world with those size ( 2,000+ Starting Watt) Hondas.In
In other words, those are the generators most commonly made to be paralleled together, and are the darlings of the Airstream crowd.
That would explain the 30 Amp outlet on the downstream "Companion"
To me,it's like getting the smallest tow vehicle possible.Then wondering why it won't do what's really needed.
To get one true 30 Amp generator, ( that you simply would plug your 30 Amp Airstream cord into), you want like 4,375 Starting Watts / 3,500 Running Watts, or larger.
Divide any generators smaller running Watts number by 120 ( Volts) to get Approximate AMP output.
There are 100s of small Honda generator experts in this forum, doing exactly what you are asking about, that's the crowd that puts "Soft starts" on their rooftop AC units.
If I want to run 2 roof AC units, I'm just starting up my 50 Amp generator, no soft starts needed .Im not one of that smaller is better crowd, I just beat them all here ...
Just be aware that a 50 amp trailer could, but probably wonít, pull 50 amps on each of two 120 volt legs. A compatible generator would be 12,000 watts running. That would be 120/240 volt 50 amps. You could probably get by with 120/240 volts 30 amps, or 7200 watts with an older trailer with 2 15k btu ac units. I donít know what the newer trailers draw.
__________________
ďYou cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 16,313
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
This link should do a good job answering this for you.
https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...lel-capability
Excellent . . . right from the horse's mouth!

__________________
Peter

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
wilsodf's Avatar
 
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Paramus , New Jersey
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 106
We have 2 companion models EU2200 and have run them in parallel for over 2 years.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,909
Blog Entries: 1
"There are 100s of small Honda generator experts in this forum, doing exactly what you are asking about, that's the crowd that puts "Soft starts" on their rooftop AC units."

Yes indeed there are. You should pay attention to that fact. It works fine. At least with 30 amp trailers it works fine.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda 2000i vs. Honda 2000i Companion danandmimi Generators & Solar Power 33 09-13-2016 10:21 AM
Honda Generators, EU2000i and Companion 2000i(4,000 watts) Support Admin Airstream Classifieds 0 09-20-2013 01:07 PM
Selling Honda EU2000i and its companion... grimlock Our Community 0 09-11-2010 11:08 AM
Honda 2000i companion + 2000i or just 2 2000i's??? socdiva Generators & Solar Power 5 10-27-2009 02:53 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.