Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Tri-fuel kit adpt for Honda 2000 genset etc ?

Came across this on the web, looked for threads here discussing, couldn't find any:

Tri-Fuel Kit for Honda EU2000i

An after market kit for running your generator with gas, nat.gas, or propane. You send them your carb and they replace it with a 'cored' one. Guess it might void your warranty on the genset.. ?
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
_

. , .
hi 'chop, howz life in nola?

quick search, there are ~80 threads on this kit/conversion/issue...

here are a few, to fuel yer reading.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ion-32036.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ane-56841.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ded-46854.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...000-26971.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...00i-16113.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ems-27060.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tors-7936.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
warranty

Yes, it will void your warranty. When I converted my eu3000 to propane I mentioned it to the Honda service guy. He first had a seizure, then a heart attack, then his head exploded. Six years later, in spite of this the generator is still running fine.

Jack
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Talking

"hi 'chop, howz life in nola?

quick search, there are ~80 threads on this kit/conversion/issue...

here are a few, to fuel yer reading."

2airishuman

Man, you gotta tell us HOW you search dis joint! and then keep all those searches filed away.... do you have a research assistant who works on this full time??? I've been trying the "air-google" search lately and, while definitely better, I still come up empty handed half the time... I guess I need to start learning some linguistic protocols or sump'n...

Life in NOLA is WAAAAAAYYYYY good!!! REGGIE BUSH FOR MAYOR!! and we love home-boy Brett Favre, but he's 'bout to get shipped back to Kiln, MS, wearing his Brady-face... (football reference, for the non-fan..)

Just learned from my pop-in-law that the Honda gen we bought on half'sies last hurricane is a 3500 watt unit (bigger, way heavier) so next step is to check the manual and see if it'll not-fry my A/C on startup.... I'm looking for 14 amp capability start-load capability or something like that...more research...more searches..."searchin' ev-ry whi-i-i-i-cha way-ay-ay...and like that Northwest Mountie...."
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Don't have a three way,(natrual gas), LPG and gasoline only.

Three seasons without missing a beat...best boon-docking modification I've done.

FWIW...."minutes" install is a dream.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #6

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Don't have a three way,(natrual gas), LPG and gasoline only.

Three seasons without missing a beat...best boon-docking modification I've done.

FWIW...."minutes" install is a dream.
You mind sharing the brand of kit you used??
BeemerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Gasoline is cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
... quick search, there are ~80 threads on this kit/conversion/issue...
I did not read every thread mentioned in 2air's post when considering the alternate fuel conversion kit's purchase. May be my concern was addressed in one of the threads.

But between what I did read, and what was read about about the potential energy in a given gallon of fuel, I have yet to purchase the conversion hardware for either of my two generators.

In my case, the kit was considered for home use to power a run-of-the-mill, LOUD, 5kW generator to be run on natural gas. The volume of gas required is huge. It was in line with what was required by my house's furnace to heat 2200 square feet.

Around here, gasoline by the gallon is cheaper than propane. Gasoline containers are cheaper than propane bottles when considering the kit for camping use.

I did not purchase the conversion kit.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
Came across this on the web, looked for threads here discussing, couldn't find any:

Tri-Fuel Kit for Honda EU2000i

An after market kit for running your generator with gas, nat.gas, or propane. You send them your carb and they replace it with a 'cored' one. Guess it might void your warranty on the genset.. ?

Apparently not a warranty killer if it's a Yamaha. I got a little Yam. 2400 that came as tri-fuel (from US Carb - no personal connection, usual disclaimers, etc.), and warranty aparently is not voided. It runs fine on gasoline or propane or natural gas. Might be a warranty killer if you were to do the conversion yourself ....? Not sure about that.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamerBill View Post
You mind sharing the brand of kit you used??
US Carb....Honda EU2000i Propane Kits.

There has been some negative feedback about their lack of customer service, I had no such problem. The install manual was very generic and took some time to figure out, regulator mounting etc. I did the conversion 3 seasons ago, someone with more recent experience may be able to update.

There was some trial and error involved initially, getting mixture settings correct, routing supply lines and adapting too specific applications.
Very happy with the results. It runs very well, easy changeover, very little exhaust fumes, cooler exhaust temp, has run up to 25hrs on 11lb tank.
I purchased a second exterior panel ($11) so I could store the regulator seperately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 001.jpg
Views:	2343
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	94801   Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 007.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	94802  

Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I have been looking around for the best solution as well. I had found this link Inverter Generator with CMD Triple-Fuel System It comes brand new already installed. Comparing prices it seems like you are paying $100 more for the lack of hassle.

QUESTION: Can you still hook 2 of these together? I am trying to figure out how much I will need to run the 79 Argosy AC.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
I have been looking around for the best solution as well. I had found this link Inverter Generator with CMD Triple-Fuel System It comes brand new already installed. Comparing prices it seems like you are paying $100 more for the lack of hassle.

QUESTION: Can you still hook 2 of these together? I am trying to figure out how much I will need to run the 79 Argosy AC.
It's hard to tell from their link whether their parallel kit uses one regulator or not. The regulator pictured looks to be about the same size as mine. If so it should be able to run two 2000i without a problem. Give them or US carb a call. They don't seem to have a lot of info on the site.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
CMD will do the install with an appointment

Quote:
It's hard to tell from their link whether their parallel kit uses one regulator or not. The regulator pictured looks to be about the same size as mine. If so it should be able to run two 2000i without a problem. Give them or US carb a call. They don't seem to have a lot of info on the site.
I just called CDM and the parallel kit (2000) will work with both units converted to the tri-fuel set up. I asked if they would do the conversion for mechanically challenged gal?

They will, make an appointment and you drop it off in the morning pick it up around lunch. He said they are very busy so you have to set it up in advance.

Thanks for a good source only four or five hours away.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
WhirlGirl

The ony PITA when I did my conversion was getting the baseline mixture setting correct.

Make sure they go over that with you, demonstrate the adjustments needed when running at altitude, (very small adjustments needed), purging the line for storage etc.
I keep the gas tank full, (use storage additive), and run it occasionally.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Thank you for the extra tips on questions to ask!!!

Quote:
WhirlGirl

The ony PITA when I did my conversion was getting the baseline mixture setting correct.

Make sure they go over that with you, demonstrate the adjustments needed when running at altitude, (very small adjustments needed), purging the line for storage etc.
I keep the gas tank full, (use storage additive), and run it occasionally.
Great questions I did not know to ask... I did just call them back for a second time to ask if "BOTH" needed to be converted or could they both run off "one" unit. They recommended changing both over and not trying to run the two off one converter.

I am afraid of "electricity and propane". So I would rather leave the conversion to an expert and not blow up or zap myself.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
When I did my conversion I believe the kit that US Carb offered used one regulator,(that round thing mounted on the front panel) to supply LPG to both carbs.
The regulator has the mixture adjustment, one regulator one mixture screw.

The black screw with the lock-nut is the mixture adjustment, I usually just count the exposed threads once the baseline is established. (the hardest thing is remembering teenie tiny adjustments).

The surgical tubing is a lot easier to route and pinch off for shutdown, easy to disconnect.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Question Propane feed for Dual Honda Generator set from dual 40 tanks

I am converting two Honda 2000 generator sets to run on a Tri-Fuel Kit from CMD in Mane. I want to use my dual 40# propane to feed them and have the quick connects to make it removable. My kit supplier indicated that I should use a 10 ft, 1/2" ID hose to feed off of the low pressure line. Then I need to branch off the 1/2"hose to two 3/8" ID hoses with quick connects to feed generators. The first problem is just finding the 10', 1/2" ID hose to connect the branch lines to. The tap at the bottom of the low pressure regulator hose is just a 1/2" pipe tee with a 3/8" quick connect and a shut off valve in front of it. The NPT and Flare fitting is another story but with enough fitting from Low's, I think I can make it.

What is the consensus of the AS'mers that have mastered this one???
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Lowes/Home Depot used to sell the hoses you need (they might still sell them) - The hoses (with QDs) were sold for use with propane grills. The stores' brass section has all the other fittings you will need.

Be forewarned that two 2000 watt generators will consume A LOT of propane under load. Your 40 pound tanks will not last many days.

If you are bound & determined to run the generators on propane, then consider the space involved in storing additional propane vessels.

Both gasoline & LPG have roughly the same energy content. But gasoline's cost-per-gallon, and corresponding storage vessels are cheaper than propane's.

If you have already bought the conversion kits, then you are somewhat commited to the effort. If not, then re-consider the fuel you will need to transport.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Tom, with Tri-Fuel conversion I will carry a gas can backup to my propane on the RV, but hopefully they won't need to run full time/full load, or(33 hrs of full load run time). Luckily, my two week trip with have camp sites with power and I will only new generators between camp sites.
I've rethought my connection and will go back to two(12 BBQ-3/8" hoses) and save branching at the end. I will have to use double quick connects at the tank side.

Thanks for the information though.
Freds
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I asked the same question and they told me it would not work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bartlet View Post
I am converting two Honda 2000 generator sets to run on a Tri-Fuel Kit from CMD in Mane. I want to use my dual 40# propane to feed them and have the quick connects to make it removable. My kit supplier indicated that I should use a 10 ft, 1/2" ID hose to feed off of the low pressure line. Then I need to branch off the 1/2"hose to two 3/8" ID hoses with quick connects to feed generators. The first problem is just finding the 10', 1/2" ID hose to connect the branch lines to. The tap at the bottom of the low pressure regulator hose is just a 1/2" pipe tee with a 3/8" quick connect and a shut off valve in front of it. The NPT and Flare fitting is another story but with enough fitting from Low's, I think I can make it.

What is the consensus of the AS'mers that have mastered this one???
See here's the problem with a woman asking the same question related to mechanical problems....

Thanks for posting this it seemed to me that it would work.
Lin.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
See here's the problem with a woman asking the same question related to mechanical problems....

Thanks for posting this it seemed to me that it would work.
Lin.
Might want to consider US Carb....seems that CMD outfit is a little lacking in knowledge and having a complete kit available.(I was able to get everything I needed from one source). My only up-grade two small supply lines from hobby shop.