Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
...storing a basic gas container in the interior of the AS is a nono right?
Remember, as you drive, that gas is sloshing around in the can. The temperature changes and the air expands in the can. It's a No-No for me anyway, one leak and the AS stinks for months. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to carry gas inside, I'd put the cans inside a empty cooler with maybe an ice pack, so any spills would be contained in the cooler.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Maybe swap one of the 30 lb. propane cylinders for a 20 lb. and put a small gas can on top of it? Run off the 30 lb. and when it's empty, switch to the 20 lb. and plan on going to town in the next couple of days.

There are various sizes and shapes of fuel tanks for boats. Check out the ones at Overtons: http://www.overtons.com/Boating-Mari...eck-Fuel-Tanks

Where are you carrying the generator(s)? Inside your SUV? AS? There will be residual fuel in the tanks.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:28 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Rubbermaid....no fume,no smell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_383.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	293823  
Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Action packer option is very high on my list. I think I've come across a post where they were able to store a slim gas can alongside as well.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

If you have a newer 2000i you may have to get the old style gascap for it to fit in the 24gal ActionPacker. The newer ones are taller and won't fit. The 2000i is put in off-center so the handle fits between the ridges in the lid.
I also laid a peel & stick foam weatherstrip around the lid help seal.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f2d.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	293884   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_264.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	293885  

Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Stafford , Virginia
ROTOPAX Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You can put those RotoPax mounts on the rear of the SUV or Front Bumper etc. Depends on how Mad Max you want to look.

Perry
https://rotopax.com/
1811SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
^Hah, I actually ordered a rotopax. More specifically, the 3.5 gallon fuelpax, as it's a super high quality, thick molded container that can be laid on its side.

I intend to store it outside, yet on the AS, in an under-mounted drawer. It'll make more sense once I get it done this weekend. We're headed out on a 10 day trip the following weekend.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Stafford , Virginia
Overland Bound

Quote:
^Hah, I actually ordered a rotopax. More specifically, the 3.5 gallon fuelpax, as it's a super high quality, thick molded container that can be laid on its side.

I intend to store it outside, yet on the AS, in an under-mounted drawer. It'll make more sense once I get it done this weekend. We're headed out on a 10 day trip the following weekend.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums...-fuelpax.4562/
Old 09-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Stafford , Virginia
Propane Conversion

Quote:
Great comments and ideas guys!

An option to cover A/C. Maybe convert to a propane fueled generator within the original battery box. This has the added benefit of keeping the tongue weight reasonable.

No dumb questions.
http://www.propane-generators.com/yamaha-generators.php
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
So my intent to store my gas container in a sliding underbelly storage didn't quite work out as the gas container I bought was just barely too wide. It's working great for my rug though.

Name:	asstorage5.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	294715

So plan B for now, until maybe I get a smaller gas container. My 3.5 gallon Fuelpax stores so very nicely along side my Honda eu2000i, in a Rubbermaid 24gallon Action Packer! Note where I took a heat gun to help the lid conform to the cap. Fits tight like a glove. I may add some weather stripping to the action packer to really make sure it's airtight.

Name:	hondagen2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	294713

Name:	hondagen3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	294714

Ultimately, my plan is to mount my generator over the battery box like The Naker did here
Though with foldable side panels hung off the propane tank to secure and hide the generator.

Name:	hondagen.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	294712
Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
So my intent to store my gas container in a sliding underbelly storage didn't quite work out as the gas container I bought was just barely too wide. It's working great for my rug though.

Attachment 294715

So plan B for now, until maybe I get a smaller gas container. My 3.5 gallon Fuelpax stores so very nicely along side my Honda eu2000i, in a Rubbermaid 24gallon Action Packer! Note where I took a heat gun to help the lid conform to the cap. Fits tight like a glove. I may add some weather stripping to the action packer to really make sure it's airtight.

Attachment 294713
[ATTACH]294714

Ultimately, my plan is to mount my generator over the battery box like The Naker did here
Though with foldable side panels hung off the propane tank to secure and hide the generator.

Attachment 294712
Sorry about resurrecting this almost old thread, but I have a couple of observations.

I considered the space behind the propane tanks for mounting a Honda 2000, but since my head on the pillow is literally inches away from the generator, I’m thinking the sound and vibration, even though minor, would be annoying. I base this opinion on trying to run two paralleled Hondas in the bed of the tow vehicle and listening to them run for hours that would have been better spent sleeping. Vibration, transmitted through the hitch, was also quite noticeable. I couldn’t fall asleep until I put the generators on the ground with exhaust pointed away.
My other concern would be with Carbon Monoxide. Again, front bedroom, front storage door, presumably all buttoned up with AC running (otherwise why run the generator?), I’d hate to wake up dead in the morning.
Yes, I know we have CO detectors, but batteries die, components fail, and I’m not willing to bet my life that it will work.
From the picture, it appears that you will be moving the generator elsewhere to run it. After all, you can’t pull the rope as it sits. So perhaps your plan is to place it a few feet away and run it, in which case my concerns are moot.
I also considered the cargo carrier above the propane tank option, but pulling propane tanks out and opening the front window would both be inconvenient.
For now the best option I’ve found is carrying them in the bed of the truck and running them on the ground.
I’m open to other solutions.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Storing Gas Containers on AS

I carry a generator for auxiliary power to run my wife's dialysis equipment. I agonized over the gasoline situation and decided to buy a Yamaha 2000 which was modified to be a 3 fuel device. So mine will run on gasoline, propane or natural gas. I have a natural gas hookup on my deck so at home that gives me an unlimited supply. I also keep a couple of 20 lb propane tanks in the garage as backup. I only used gasoline for initial break-in and have never run gas since. As a mater of fact I've only had to run it twice in the three years I have owned it and that was for losses of power at home overnight.

You will find propane is clean, you don't worry about fuel quality and you don't have to deal with deposits that gasoline burning engines encounter. Liquid Propane usage is right on an even keel with gasoline.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Sorry about resurrecting this almost old thread, but I have a couple of observations.

I considered the space behind the propane tanks for mounting a Honda 2000, but since my head on the pillow is literally inches away from the generator, I’m thinking the sound and vibration, even though minor, would be annoying. I base this opinion on trying to run two paralleled Hondas in the bed of the tow vehicle and listening to them run for hours that would have been better spent sleeping. Vibration, transmitted through the hitch, was also quite noticeable. I couldn’t fall asleep until I put the generators on the ground with exhaust pointed away.

My other concern would be with Carbon Monoxide. Again, front bedroom, front storage door, presumably all buttoned up with AC running (otherwise why run the generator?), I’d hate to wake up dead in the morning.

Yes, I know we have CO detectors, but batteries die, components fail, and I’m not willing to bet my life that it will work.

From the picture, it appears that you will be moving the generator elsewhere to run it. After all, you can’t pull the rope as it sits. So perhaps your plan is to place it a few feet away and run it, in which case my concerns are moot.

I also considered the cargo carrier above the propane tank option, but pulling propane tanks out and opening the front window would both be inconvenient.

For now the best option I’ve found is carrying them in the bed of the truck and running them on the ground.

I’m open to other solutions.

Can I asked where you purchased this sliding drawer?
I really like that idea. Does it stay dry?
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Pteck: Thanks for sharing the pics. I especially like the pull out drawer. Sorry it didn't all work out for you with the original plan.

I'll throw my support behind jcanavera's idea. Propane. I was uncomfortable with carrying gas anywhere other than the trucks' tank. I also didn't like the idea of mounting more stuff (especially the generators themselves) over the tongue. We carry two Honda 2000s for a range of uses but especially for emergency air conditioning.

I built a platform from a piece of 4'x2' EPDM plastic mounted on rollers from Home Depot. It carries both generators and two 20 lb LP tanks. It rides under the tonneau at the front of the bed. A rope and pulley system allows me to pull the whole setup from its travel position to the back of the bed or onto the tailgate and to return and secure the platform for travel. The generators and each LP tank are strapped down to the board and are not removed for use. I can also draw propane from the trailer's low pressure LP port. I carry a 25' 30 amp extension cord at all times (thanks for putting power pedestals where I had a chance to learn that lesson Long Key State Park!). If noise is an issue I could have the generators 50' from the truck, although I've never found it a problem.

My Hondas have never had a drop of gasoline in their tanks and have never failed to start on the third pull even after months in storage in a Florida garage (especially appreciated during hurricane Matthew evacuation in 2016!).

I understand that gas is the fuel of choice for lots of folks and for good reason. It seems to me that you've explored that option well and thoroughly. Maybe propane is worth a relook.

Pics of much of this in my AirForums gallery.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Stafford , Virginia
Storage Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Another vote w/AWchief and wulfraat... go propane!

If you have to carry gas, why not mount to the TV rather than trailer? The roof rack is a good idea. From many vehicles there are tailgate or even front mount systems for gas cans. I'm not sure there is enough demand among Lexus owners for aux gas carrying to have someone make one for your vehicle. Toyota Land Cruiser accessories may fit or be adaptable.
Check out METAL TECH... They have an awesome line of all things hard point related.
You might also consider replacing your own fuel cell with an extended range system that hides in plain sight. TITAN makes a lot of tanks for multiple manufactures’ vehicles and they just bolt right in.
Propane auxiliary power is the ticket...as today’s gasoline goes bad much quicker these days...
Cheers mates,
G
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I carry a generator for auxiliary power to run my wife's dialysis equipment. I agonized over the gasoline situation and decided to buy a Yamaha 2000 which was modified to be a 3 fuel device. So mine will run on gasoline, propane or natural gas. I have a natural gas hookup on my deck so at home that gives me an unlimited supply. I also keep a couple of 20 lb propane tanks in the garage as backup. I only gasoline for initial break-in and have never run gas since. As a mater of fact I've only had to run it twice in the three years I have owned it and that was for losses of power at home overnight.

You will find propane is clean, you don't worry about fuel quality and you don't have do deal with deposits that gasoline burning engines encounter. Liquid Propane usage is right on an even keel with gasoline.

Jack
^
X2

Dual fuel Honda 2000i, USCarb conversion in 2007.👍

The reason I only carry 1.5gal in the Classic front storage, just in case.
Gas is also more convenient for us at home during an outage.
Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fa0.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	315831  
Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
For those carrying propane in the bed of their truck, placement matters, I just came across this from another forum and will be changing the location of where I carry my tank in the bed of my truck.

Bye-bye truck bed

My realization is I carried directly over the exhaust pipe.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
Can I asked where you purchased this sliding drawer?
I really like that idea. Does it stay dry?
You quoted me, but it’s not my drawer. You’ll have to ask pteck.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
Old 07-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
For those carrying propane in the bed of their truck, placement matters, I just came across this from another forum and will be changing the location of where I carry my tank in the bed of my truck.

Bye-bye truck bed

My realization is I carried directly over the exhaust pipe.
There’s got to be more to that story. An exhaust pipe under the pickup bed isn’t going to heat the floor of the bed enough to adversely affect a propane tank.
Now if the tank were overfilled, and it was a hot day, it could have vented and now we have a hot exhaust ignition source. Or some other leak would have the same result.
The OPD valve may have malfunctioned and the clerk just filled it until the pumping stopped, resulting in a 100% full tank. The propane will expand as it warms, but has nowhere to go so it vents through the relief valve. Kaboom!
When I get my tanks filled they still do it on a scale, like the old days, to avoid over filling. Usually the OPD shuts off the flow just as the scale weight is reached.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
Old 07-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I see the only reason to carry gas cans would be for a generator, ....
In my case, chain saw. We fit ours to our hitch carrier, and obviously a trailer owner is not at liberty to do that, but the metal frame sold with this particular can could be securely attached in many places (and padlocked as well). This is a Wavian can and they come in several sizes, with optional frames.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote