Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
rochester , Minnesota
solar/use prewire?

as new as owner, and new to forum, need direction or ideas on solar panel connect.....#1 i am thinking i want to connect my solar panel (50 watt) so i am able to follow the sun light by hand moving it to direct sun light....#2 i would like the controller/display inside the trailer....do i use the prewire in any way or simply hard wire the panel to the battery and leave the controller position in such a way as to watch it through a window? maybe some of you folk have done this with ideas for me..thanks a million, jack
billiards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Looks like you're in the right thread -- just start reading!
This one might be a pretty good place to start...

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiards View Post
as new as owner, and new to forum, need direction or ideas on solar panel connect.....#1 i am thinking i want to connect my solar panel (50 watt) so i am able to follow the sun light by hand moving it to direct sun light....#2 i would like the controller/display inside the trailer....do i use the prewire in any way or simply hard wire the panel to the battery and leave the controller position in such a way as to watch it through a window? maybe some of you folk have done this with ideas for me..thanks a million, jack
I installed two 130 watt panels on the roof of our 2005 25 ft CCD using the solar prewires in the trailer. I choose to mount mine on the roof and believe that with panels capable of 260 watts I can accept the inefficiencies of them not being tilted and oriented towards the sun.

Airstream sizes the wires for 100 watts at a nominal 12 volts so they will be adequate for the 50 watt panel you want to use. The green and yellow wires terminate in the same location as in your Safari, inside the refrigerator opening, most likely in the bottom left corner when looking in from the outside. You could easily make a connection at that point and use an outside freestanding panel that you direct towards the sun periodically. I would use connectors such as the Anderson Power Pole Connectors offered in sizes of 35 amps, 45 amps and 100 amps; either the 35 or the 45 are more than adequate for 50 watts and they can't be connected wrong.

The hardest thing about the installation is connecting the yellow and green pre-wires up under the sofa to the controller (keep the controller inside) and the DC buss connections to the batteries. You might want to check out my article and pictures of our install on the Sierra Nevada Unit web site. Download the April 2007 newsletter:

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/sn...snu-nwsltr.pdf

There is a problem with the online links in the article to the verbose description, use the following and select Energy & Power near the bottom of the following web page:

Maintaining your RV

If you need to PM me and we can talk by phone for more details. If you do decide to mount the panel(s) on the roof you need to use a drill depth gauge to make sure you don't drill in too deep and hit any of the other wires in the roof of the trailer.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
rochester , Minnesota
just an update on the ideas and hunt for solar prewire.................on the 2005 ss 25 ft. the solar wires for panel connect are under the refrig. access only from inside trailer removing hinged door/serv. of refrig., for the sake of info., i dug out the sealer around the l.p. supply copper tube/wires fished a nylon tie down through the opening and pulled the solar prewire wires up and in outside access door for connections. thanks for you help and ideas..
billiards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Jack,

We have a 75W solar panel installed as you describe. The panel is portable and plugs in via an extension cord. We did not use the prewire.

The extension cord plugs into a line that runs into the trailer through the same hole as the battery power, but this line runs directly to our solar controller unit that is mounted in the galley. The controller is then connected to the battery. In our case that connection is made at the point where the positive and negative battery cables enter the trailer, just behind the A-frame. We minimized the DC cable runs within the trailer compared to using the prewire.

Here is a link to a description of our setup.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...lar-36264.html

Bob and Dianne

Bandit #14576
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote