Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
solar refrigerator vent fan

There's a neat solar powered refrigerator vent fan that's available for SoB's (http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/Solar-Refrigerator-Fan-Roof-Vent-Cover__48487.aspx). Anyone know if someone makes something that will work with the traditional Airstream vent / cover housing? I know Airstream has put fridge fans in some models from the factory, but I'm looking for one that will fit a mid-70's Airstream with the rounded vent cover like this: Metal Refrigerator Vent Cover 101394 [101394] - $29.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Don't know if this is what you are looking for but I bought one of these a few weeks ago.
Valtera Fridge Cool Solar Fridge Vent Fan. Model Fridgemate-A10-2900VP

www.valterra.com

I think I bought it thru Amazon. Camping World is completely out of them.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Yeah, I saw those in my web searching earlier today. Where do you mount that? Down at the bottom of the column so that it blow air upward? At the top so it draws air out? Either way, what did you screw it to and how big is the fan (diameter)? I know from just having replaced my fridge that there's not much room back there. I was looking more for the self-container roof mount style as a result.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The instructions show the fan mounted above the coil in the back of the fridge. I don't think I would be able to put it that high behind the fridge so I would mount mine lower but have it blow air up toward the coil and out the roof vent. The fan measures 3" dia.
The solar panel for it measures 5'L x2 1/4"w x 1/4"h. and mounts on the top of the trailer or fridge vent.
It runs independantly and draws no power from the trailer batteries at all. I will add a on/off switch to mine so that when the trailer is in storage the sun is not running the fan while the fridge is not in use.
2 thin wires run from the solar panel to the fan thru the fridge vent.

Valterra says that this fan will increase the efficiency up to 40% and it's quiet.
I think that anything that moves air over the coil and out the vent will help the fridge work well in the hottest weather.
I have no idea which fan is better, or easier to install, or which would last longer.
I just went with simple, and less cost and the Valterra name brand.

Let us know how you make out with your project.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
There's a neat solar powered refrigerator vent fan that's available for SoB's (http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/Solar-Refrigerator-Fan-Roof-Vent-Cover__48487.aspx). Anyone know if someone makes something that will work with the traditional Airstream vent / cover housing? I know Airstream has put fridge fans in some models from the factory, but I'm looking for one that will fit a mid-70's Airstream with the rounded vent cover like this: Metal Refrigerator Vent Cover 101394 [101394] - $29.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

Someone made a good point in another forum. A solar fan is great except when you are parked in the shade, as many do on these hot days, then it's useless. The drain on a 4" fan usually is only .2 amps and if your battery can't take that then you probably need a new one. Valterra also makes a 12 volt that has a temp sensor with a shut off switch for it.
I'm ordering one for my 76 to help it cool better.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I guess my persepctive is complete opposite of that. If I can find shade to park in, then my fridge doesn't need auxiliary cooling, thus I don't need the fan. If it's hot out then there's a pretty good chance the sun is a blazin'. So, the fan only runs when it really needs to and the very thing (the sun) that's making it hard for my fridge to keep cool now helps the fan run.

And it's a green option. Even that small current draw for a battery powered fan has to be replenished somehow and that's going to be via shore power, generator, or the tow vehicle. None of which would be as green as solar.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Correction to post #4 above:

I said that the solar panel measures 5' long, I meant 5" long.
Sorry 'bout that!