Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' International
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Solar Ready - what does it mean

OK folks, I am totally uneducated on solar panels, controllers, etc and this may be a stupid question, but here goes.

Our 2020 Serenity is "solar ready" according to AS. Does that mean I can simply plug in solar panels and recharge my batteries? I see lots of posts about different brands of controllers and monitors, etc, but is that necessary for a solar ready trailer?

I think I understand you need to know that the panels are working as desired and I think I understand you might need different batteries, but what if the AS is solar ready, what is really necessary vs. nice to have?

Like I say, I am uneducated so please be kind and don't beat me up!
swlovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlovett View Post
OK folks, I am totally uneducated on solar panels, controllers, etc and this may be a stupid question, but here goes.

Our 2020 Serenity is "solar ready" according to AS. Does that mean I can simply plug in solar panels and recharge my batteries? I see lots of posts about different brands of controllers and monitors, etc, but is that necessary for a solar ready trailer?

I think I understand you need to know that the panels are working as desired and I think I understand you might need different batteries, but what if the AS is solar ready, what is really necessary vs. nice to have?

Like I say, I am uneducated so please be kind and don't beat me up!
It means that the wiring that is needed to install a solar panel hub, Ethernet wire for the solar charge panel, and DC charging wires that run from the roof to the battery box and distribution are all "in place".

It is just a matter of "adding" the requisite panels and hardware to make the system work.

We opted for the factory solar and even though it isn't Victron or "the best" way to go, it does a good job for what we need to keep the batteries topped off.

We don't do a lot of boondocking off of shore power, so your solar needs vs others may vary. You really need to try and figure out.........do I need only 180 Watts of solar, or 800+ because of XYZ requirements.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I did what I consider a "minimalistic" solar install on the factory prewire on my 25' Airstream. It includes four 100W Renogy "Compact" solar panels, a Victron 100/30 SmartSolar controller, a cutoff switch, a 40A breaker, a Victron Smart Battery Sense module, 30' of 10 gauge duplex wire, and some wire connectors. All of this is described in the "Solar Show and Tell" thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ll-181608.html

Don't worry about being a beginner with solar. We were all there at one time. In February of 2018 I was a beginner just like you. Now I share how I did my basic installation with others. My basic 400W installation with 6V golf cart batteries can be self installed for about $1,200. Elaborate installations with Lithium batteries can cost $10,000 or more. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help.

Here is my parts list with links to where the parts can be bought for my 600W installation: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ml#post2288463 I recommend putting as many panels on the roof as will fit. Since you have a 28' Airstream, I'm certain you could put six 100W panels on the roof and still use the factory prewire with a series-parallel configuration (like I have on my 27').
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar collage 400W controller.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	360848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	360849  

Name:	Solar Collage 400W.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	360850   Click image for larger version

Name:	600W Solar1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	360853  

Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I'm also going to offer a second solution. You can buy a "Solar Suitcase" which includes the solar controller, panels, and all the wiring. This solar suitcase can just be plugged into the connection on the side of your battery box (make sure the positive and negative are correct). Here are some examples: https://www.renogy.com/products/sola...lar-suitcases/
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We also KISS...

I was/am reluctant to clutter up the roof. I go up every Spring to inspect for bad stuff happening.
Bad stuff WILL happen.🥴

Works for us just fine...👍
Two Zamp 180w portable panels charging thru the 7pin, 2 BB Lithium batteries, a 60w Boondocker lithium charger, Victron monitor. 🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1dfc.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	360858   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2ba6.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	360859  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d40.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	360860   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25e8.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	360864  

Old 02-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "solar ready" pre-wire also includes a "Zamp connector" at the battery box to connect to outboard devices. It's a two way thing (it's just a wire). You can also use it to hook up 12V devices outside the trailer.

If you decide to put panels on the roof, spend some time working out what the max number of panels is. You don't *have* to put them all on at one time. The idea is not to put up the first panel(s) in a place that is not compatible with the layout for a "full set".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
It means that the wiring that is needed to install a solar panel hub, Ethernet wire for the solar charge panel, and DC charging wires that run from the roof to the battery box and distribution are all "in place".

It is just a matter of "adding" the requisite panels and hardware to make the system work.
I concur
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
solar ready prewire

I have a 2017 "Solar Ready " International 30 signature RB Queen.
I would like to install 400 watts on the roof, 2 battleborn batteries and all the necessary hardware that goes along with it.
But I have no clue where to look for all of these pre-wired locations for my trailer. Where can I find this info,

Any help greatly appreciated !!
Thanks
Dazed and Confused
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
I have a 2017 "Solar Ready " International 30 signature RB Queen.

I would like to install 400 watts on the roof, 2 battleborn batteries and all the necessary hardware that goes along with it.

But I have no clue where to look for all of these pre-wired locations for my trailer. Where can I find this info,

Any help greatly appreciated !!

Thanks

Dazed and Confused

I have the same trailer and year. On your floor plan the solar wires from the roof combiner box terminate under the L-couch at the front of the trailer. You’ll need to remove the couch to get at the wires and install your charge controller and batteries.

See here, this gentlemen also has the same trailer and posted some pictures:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...rb-205715.html
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Hartwell , Georgia
I have a solar suitcase, but am not sure how to hook it into the airstream.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Palm Springs , California
As a newbie we have a 2020 22’ Caravel. Pre wired for solar. We mostly for now anyway will only stay at full hookup sites. Our main concern is the battery dying while it’s sitting in the storage lot. So the battery is dead when we need to un couple it. We have to manually crank the AS up so we can hook it up. At 62 this isn’t fun. So I looked at the link below there are 10 kinds of solar kits, I’ve decided that much we will get a kit. But I don’t know what I need. I’d like to spend middle of the road not the cheapest not the most expensive. Your suggestions appreciated
Angeltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:17 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltu View Post
As a newbie we have a 2020 22’ Caravel. Pre wired for solar. We mostly for now anyway will only stay at full hookup sites. Our main concern is the battery dying while it’s sitting in the storage lot. So the battery is dead when we need to un couple it. We have to manually crank the AS up so we can hook it up. At 62 this isn’t fun. So I looked at the link below there are 10 kinds of solar kits, I’ve decided that much we will get a kit. But I don’t know what I need. I’d like to spend middle of the road not the cheapest not the most expensive. Your suggestions appreciated
Hi

First up: Running a battery completely dead is really bad for the battery. Doing that a few times (and leaving it in the dead state for a while) is just about guaranteed to damage it. Best to consider replacing the battery(s).

If you have full sun in the storage lot, there are a number of solutions. There are also solutions if sun is iffy.

Cheapest is a full disconnect switch on the battery. This works regardless of sun. It goes in the negative lead running to the battery. There are lots of threads here on installing them. It's an easy thing for a dealer to do it you aren't into mods.

If you are comfortable with the security, a small portable panel may do the job. I've never seen a lot that I would consider that safe (maybe I'm just paranoid).

Next up, mount a single panel on the roof and use the pre-wire to get it hooked up. This likely involves a trip to a dealer or an installer. Any panel up there 40,80,100,120W will keep the battery(s) happy in storage.

Finally, if you *do* go solar, there is the full up fill the roof approach. Then you have enough to get a bit further from full hookups. We find it *very* useful when visiting a (free) Harvest Host on the way to or from somewhere ...

Lots of choices. Not in any particular order.

=======

One side note: Some storage lots have great big wheel around battery chargers .... You might check if yours does .... I .. umm .... errr ... found that mine does .....

Bob
Old 06-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

As noted above...the first step should be a battery disconnect switch, a fully charged, undamaged battery will hold a charge for months.

Good luck...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
As noted above...the first step should be a battery disconnect switch, a fully charged, undamaged battery will hold a charge for months.

Good luck...

Bob
����
Mr. Bob, you referenced a poster who stated he/she has a 2020 Caravel. I have a new 2020 Bambi 20’ with factory 90watt solar on roof. Intallation of a battery disconnect switch came up in several other threads and started to get me a bit worried because different folks talked about parastic drain on battery from propane detector and from CO detector, to name two. Of course the person referencing the CO detector was in error because it runs off of small batteries and is not wired to trailer batteries. But when I started looking at my Atwood propane detector I noticed that the green light goes off when the main interior trailer battery disconnect switch is turned off. I initiated email with AS CS and after several cycles and explaining and politely challenging CS the fellow went to their engineers and he found out that for 2020 model they are wiring the Atwood propane detector to the interior battery disconnect switch, not directly to the A frame batteries. That is why the green light goes off and as such it is no longer a parasitic drain on the batteries. Given that, and my question for you, does this then imply there is no other equipment in the trailer that is drawing on the batteries when the interior switch is off and with the solar panel, as long as there is sun, they should stay charged? And even no sun, they should stay charged for months? Thx, Stephen
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Roodhouse , Illinois
Add suitcase solar to existing system

Can I add a suitcase solar panel with controller to my existing solar system? Plugging it into the solar prep plug in?
And will it help charge my batteries?
Carla Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Wise View Post
Can I add a suitcase solar panel with controller to my existing solar system? Plugging it into the solar prep plug in?

Yes
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:25 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Wise View Post
Not much
Old 03-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Not much
Since the person is relatively new, maybe you should explain your position when everyone else says yes....
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Since the person is relatively new, maybe you should explain your position when everyone else says yes....
Hi

Well it seemed we were into "keep it short" land. So far the voting is running 50/50 .... pretty big "everyone else" group.

Lead acid batteries in most trailers run between 50% charge and >= 100% rated charge. (If it's hot, you can get 120% ....). They charge quickly to about the 70 or 80% amp hour level. At that point they have a voltage similar to a fully charged battery, but they are nowhere near "full". In terms of the capacity you normally use, that would be right around half ( you are in the middle of the 50% to 100% range) maybe a bit more maybe a bit less.

The only way to get better data is with a shunt based battery monitor. Unfortunately, very few chargers will "team up" with one of these devices. The controller on the typical suitcase ... not so much.

When the battery gets to this point. The charger cuts back. It drops out of constant current mode and goes into a voltage based mode. It watches for a current drop and then pretty much shuts down.

While *both* chargers are in constant current mode, all is fine. The currents combine and away you go. Once you are in voltage mode, a bit of cloud or shade on one or the other controller is likely to create a dropout. Current dips and the controller shuts down. There actually are a couple of ways the interaction can happen ....

So without a networked set of charge controllers that all know what's going on, you only get to *maybe* half way on your batteries. Voltage wise, they look fine. Amp hours wise, you only have half.....maybe .... Simply put, it's not at all easy to see what's going on.

The typical stock battery setup is about 100AH usable capacity. A hundred watts of solar probably puts 5 A in under ideal conditions. If your combo setup gets you to 400W ( 200 on the roof and 200 in the suitcase). You could be pumping 20A. In 2 1/2 hours or so, you are half way into the useable range.

With a good controller, the "tail end" of the charge will take you 6 to 8 hours to complete. It would be unusual to find a location that has peak sun for 10 1/2 hours. If you did, then the suitcase would be helping out for about 1/5 of the time and about 1/4 of the charge input.

That's not a lot of bang for your buck.

Thus "not so much"

Bob