Solar Prewire 2020 19 Caravel

According to the manual
"For those units manufactured without the solar panel
option, a 3-port plug-in has been pre-wired on the
roof. This port allows for roof mounted solar panels to
be installed after manufacturing without the need for
running wires. A single port has also been pre-wired
in the front of the unit near the battery box. This port
is a quick plug-in for a portable solar charging kit.
These ports are designed for solar panels added after
manufacturing."

I see in the Dinette bench, it looks like the solar prewire is yellow positive and green negative extends to the box on the roof. Is there another wire pair for the single near the battery? I have two victron charge controllers one planned for a single 200watt 24v panel which i plan on using "externally" with the single port. The other for the roof panels. 100watt x 3 12v panels will be run in series into the other Solar Controller using the rooftop box my batteries are 24v. I understand the design is vulnerable to shading conditions, I'm ok with that.

I'm looking to what others' thoughts are, strong opinions welcome.
lookingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The single port near the battery just connects straight across the battery. As long as your solar charge controller is a MPPT model, which the Victron is, you should be good.

Does your trailer come with 24v batteries or is that an upgrade you are doing? Doing that means you’ll need to regulate it down to 12v for most RV applications which implies losses and complexity. I’d suggest two 12v batteries in parallel if this is an upgrade you are doing.

That’s a LOT of solar so don't be surprised if your battery is charged before noon!
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
lookingin

2020 19' Caravel
Golden , Colorado
I removed the stock batteries and replaced them with two 24v batteries, Tesla Model S under the dinette bench, so my battery box on the tongue is now storage. From initial testing we will not need to bring a generator for a week or less. I'm using an Orion 24-12v downconverter which seems to work pretty well, overall. One issue i encountered is that without the 12v batteries I did not have enough amps to run my electric jack, to make it easy i just replaced the stock jack with one that works with a power drill, it was quite abit lighter too.
lookingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
if you use two Victron controllers, then the two panels are independent . ie shading on one has no barring on the other
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Interesting. I assume these are used? How many amp-hours are they good for and how much do they cost?

I assume you’re also replacing the inverter then with a 24v version since it would draw too much current from the Orion? Maybe the Victron Multiplus 3000? That way you can run your AC for a while and also supplement a small generator.

Are you also going to step up the tow vehicle 12v to charge the battery?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel