Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
Solar power to "trickle charge" stored trailer battery

I mostly use my trailer off grid in TX for a couple months in Texas in winter. I am going to add one BattleBorn battery and pick up a single propane power Honda EU2200 but would like to put a small solar panel in a south facing window when the trailer is stored to keep the battery charged.

Anyone else doing this?
GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The problem is the size of the solar panel. The typical "fit it in the window" panel does not deliver a lot of power. Toss in the non-optimum mounting location and things get worse.

The simple answer is to put in a full disconnect switch. You should easily be able to store the BB batteries for a couple of years , just using that. I've done that om my trailer. It's worked fine.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
.The simple answer is to put in a full disconnect switch. You should easily be able to store the BB batteries for a couple of years , just using that. I've done that om my trailer. It's worked fine.

Bob
X2

An iffy proposition with lead acid batteries, but with the very low self discharge rate of lithium batteries this is the answer. Have the shop do it while changing the battery cheap and easy.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
MIDDLETOWN , RI
re: disconnect switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The problem is the size of the solar panel. The typical "fit it in the window" panel does not deliver a lot of power. Toss in the non-optimum mounting location and things get worse.

The simple answer is to put in a full disconnect switch. You should easily be able to store the BB batteries for a couple of years , just using that. I've done that om my trailer. It's worked fine.

Bob
So just remove the battery terminals?
GaryRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryRI View Post
So just remove the battery terminals?
Hi

Yup, just pull the wires off the negative side of the battery. Loosen the bolts and slide them off the posts if you have that sort of attachment. Pull the bolts if you have tabs with holes in them ( Best bet is you have posts, just like on a car battery on your lead acid batteries now. You will have the tabs with holes on the BB lithiums ).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote