Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
When I google NATO can, all I can find are the Jerry cans from several sources. Would you be willing to take and share a picture of your NATO cans or provide an Internet link to them?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Those of you who, like I do, use a Jeep Grand Cherokee or other SUV as your tow vehicle, where do you carry the gasoline for Honda generators - in your car (not something I would do) or in the Airstream (not something I would want to do either)?
Hi, here is where I carry my gas can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	236475  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
When I google NATO can, all I can find are the Jerry cans from several sources. Would you be willing to take and share a picture of your NATO cans or provide an Internet link to them?
Did you see these:

Jerry Can | Nato Jerry Can | Metal Jerry Can | 5 Gallon Metal Jerry can | 20L Jerry Can | 10L Jerry can | 5L Jerry Can | Jerry Can Spout | Jerry Can Nozzle | Jerry Can Mount | Jerry Can Holder

They look to be high quality cans.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Yes, these and others like them. But these are the American-style NATO Jerry cans, not a different kind of European NATO cans that Goin Camping referred to earlier.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, here is where I carry my gas can.
That is a very good idea, strapped down not inside either vehicle. Thanks for thinking of this.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Marty,

It is the second link listed in mrprez's post. I also laid in a supply of extra caskets and the funnel works great and doesn't leak either. I got mine from Duetch (sp) optics.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #67
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't known what Airstream is installing now for solar, but in the past the system was overpriced. An after market system such as Lewster would install would give you more watts, and maybe you can catch him before he leaves Fla. for Oregon. He uses high quality solar equipment and would install Lifeline batteries for more storage capacity.

When we boondock, our panels (200 watts) will handle what we do and the Lifeline batteries have better storage than the cheaper OEM batteries. But we can toast bread using the oven or stove top, live without using the microwave or AC. We boondock in cool places so AC isn't necessary. As Lew says, newer solar systems can handle more, but you need a big inverter to do so and there will be limits to what you can run on 120 v.

If course, if it is cloudy, or you are parked under trees, or in a canyon where the sun doesn't shine much, a generator is a good backup. We have a 1000 w. Honda which is a backup in those situations. I don't see the 1000 w. units advertised anymore, but they should be available if you look. I don't like running a generator very often because no matter how quiet they are, they don't seem quiet when camped in the boonies and do disturb your neighbors.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Inspiring thread! Thanks to all who've posted, going back a few years. Based on what we've read here, and on similar threads, we've upgraded to a smart converter and had Lewster install a pair of of 6V Lifeline AGMs in our Flying Cloud. We'll probably have him set us up for solar down the road. In the meantime we'll try boondocking with a 2000w generator. Seems Honda and Yamaha are the usual suspects.

We haven't had our Airstream for even a year, but it's amazing how much we've learned from these Forums. Even if it's just knowing which questions to ask, we're way ahead of a year ago, and grateful to all you folks!

Cheers,

Kevin & Daryl
Old 06-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, from post number 62, I now have a new smaller gas can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06906.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	241466  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
I have a 53 watt solar panel. It does a very nice job of keeping the two AGM batteries topped off. But, as Wsmith indicated, you won't be able to run any heavy duty appliances. For that, I have two Honda 2000i generators.
is there a reason to ha have two 2000i compare to one 3000i
Thanks
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
When you get my age it's a lot easier to lift 46 lbs. twice than 78 lbs. once!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
To angle or not?

Thanks for your post? We are soon to get our first trailer, a 2016 Classic. I benefited from your post as I believe I too want solar but opted not to have the factory system installed. I have read the AM Solar website - very helpful. Do you have to get on the roof to angle the panels in order to get the effectiveness you spoke of? Did you maximize the number of panels given your Northwest U.S. location?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmkevin View Post
That depends on what you expect, what solar panels you add, and what batteries you use.

If you want to run your air conditioner while boondocking - no, they do not. You'll need either 2 generators or one huge generator for that. No amount of solar that you can fit on a trailer will operate your AC in any reasonable way.

If you want to run forced-air heater overnight in cold weather... maybe. It depends on how much battery capacity you have and if you add enough solar to replace during the day what the heater drains at night.

If you want to run lights, water pump, vent fans, and other light-duty electrics, definitely yes. Solar will do a great job.

The important thing is to size the solar system to your power needs, and to match the battery capacity as well. You need enough solar to replace your daily power use during the effective hours, and enough battery capacity to make up for the gaps when there is little or no solar output.

We have a very large solar system installed on our Airstream, and we have never owned a generator. We could boondock indefinitely (from a power point of view) as the solar system keeps our batteries well charged. We run lights (LED), pump, heater, TVs, laptops/chargers, espresso machine, microwave, wifi router, stereo, and other small electric/electronic appliances. We cannot run the air conditioner or blowdriers while boondocking. We camp in the Pacific Northwest where direct sun is not plentiful, and where most campsites have at least partial shade. We sized our system accordingly.

Our system was installed by AM Solar - it is 5 panels (3x100W plus 2X50W), a MPPT charge controller, an inverter/converter/charger, and 6 AGM golf-cart size batteries. It cost substantially more than a generator, but it is silent, trouble-free, maintenance-free, and clean.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #73
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmkevin View Post
That depends on what you expect, what solar panels you add, and what batteries you use.

If you want to run your air conditioner while boondocking - no, they do not. You'll need either 2 generators or one huge generator for that. No amount of solar that you can fit on a trailer will operate your AC in any reasonable way.

If you want to run forced-air heater overnight in cold weather... maybe. It depends on how much battery capacity you have and if you add enough solar to replace during the day what the heater drains at night.

If you want to run lights, water pump, vent fans, and other light-duty electrics, definitely yes. Solar will do a great job.

The important thing is to size the solar system to your power needs, and to match the battery capacity as well. You need enough solar to replace your daily power use during the effective hours, and enough battery capacity to make up for the gaps when there is little or no solar output.

We have a very large solar system installed on our Airstream, and we have never owned a generator. We could boondock indefinitely (from a power point of view) as the solar system keeps our batteries well charged. We run lights (LED), pump, heater, TVs, laptops/chargers, espresso machine, microwave, wifi router, stereo, and other small electric/electronic appliances. We cannot run the air conditioner or blowdriers while boondocking. We camp in the Pacific Northwest where direct sun is not plentiful, and where most campsites have at least partial shade. We sized our system accordingly.

Our system was installed by AM Solar - it is 5 panels (3x100W plus 2X50W), a MPPT charge controller, an inverter/converter/charger, and 6 AGM golf-cart size batteries. It cost substantially more than a generator, but it is silent, trouble-free, maintenance-free, and clean.

Sorry, but you are a bit behind the technology curve. I can give you a solar/ lithium battery/ hybrid inverter system that will operate a single A/C SOLELY FROM THE BATTERIES for up to 4 hours (600 A/H lithium) and longer with a larger lithium. I have several of these systems in operation presently.

In addition, a 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter/charger when coupled with a single 2000 watt generator will start and run a single 13.5K roof A/C for as long as you have fuel for the generator to operate.

Be careful about making blanket statements when considering what can and can not be operated by the new battery/solar/inverter systems available today. Energy technology is advancing at very rapidly, making things possible that were unthinkable just a few years ago.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We were able to install eight AM Solar 100 watt panels on our 2014 31' Classic and five of the same panels on our 2015 23D.

The Classic has the TriStar 60 MPPT solar charge controller while the 23D has the BlueSky 3024iL solar charge controller.

The Classic has a Magnum MS-2812 converter/inverter/charger while the 23D has the Magnum MSH-3012. The 2812 has two 30 amp rated contacts since our Classic has the 50 amp service which is two hot leads. The 3012 has a single 60 amp rated contact, but could also argument our 2,000 watt generator to run the 13,500 BTU air conditioner.

The Classic has a 600 amp-hour lithium iron phosphate battery while the 23D has the same type but rated 300 amp-hours. Both trailers have remote displays for both the Magnum and the solar charge controller.

Having enough real solar energy available (the advertised ratings are laboratory numbers with real outputs on high quality panels approaching 75% of the advertised rating) coupled with our batteries that can provide up to 85% of their rated power makes remote camping much easier when the furnace blower has to run all night. We can power any AC device we want without worrying about running out of power.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Sorry, but you are a bit behind the technology curve.
Lew, this is an old thread recently resurrected. The quoted text from Kevin is from 2011, which is when this thread was started.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Solar panels vs Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Lew, this is an old thread recently resurrected. The quoted text from Kevin is from 2011, which is when this thread was started.

That's what one gets when you answer from an iPhone. Lots of info doesn't display. It was a quote of a quote. :-((

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Here is a new video from the Wynns that may be of interest. I would be interested to read Lew's opinion of what they say.
Our 960 Watt RV Solar Install – A Step by Step Guide
Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #78
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Here is a new video from the Wynns that may be of interest. I would be interested to read Lew's opinion of what they say.
Our 960 Watt RV Solar Install – A Step by Step Guide
Marty,

First, a bit of history on the Wynns. Nice folks, but they push whatever products they get free or cheap. THEY ARE FACTORY SPONSORED!!!! Brings to mind a video of them dancing on their new Go-Power flex panels that were placed on the roof of their last RV. Between the shiny, slippery surface of the panels and the rat's nest of cables that were in place, they got tangled up and almost fell off their roof!!!

Another point: if their last installation of flex panels was so successful, why have they now gone top hard solar modules at 160 watts each???? Again, they push what they get for free or cheap! (I have also posted on my 16 month trial with 500 watts of Grape Solar's Photo Flex panels on my Sprinter roof).

Notice they mentioned Go-Power a few times and Fleetwood also. They obviously got compensation or promotional accommodation from both. Their choice of an Outback charge controller was a good one, but they never mentioned that, nor the fact that their series array connections will be giving them an array output of approx. 100 VDC !!! Nothing wrong with that so long as your solar charge controller can handle that level of voltage. They are probably using the Outback FLEXmax 80 solar charge controller, as this is capable of 150VDC maximum input.

They also mentioned that the cabling from the roof entry point to the solar charge controller was 10AWG. Sorry, but even at that high voltage……. it's seriously deficient for that amount of amperage that their panels are supposed to be producing and the length of their cable run from the roof to their charge controller. And BTW, those panels look great when tilted for completely unobstructed sun exposure, but for all practical purposes, they will be flat on their roof the majority of the time and their array will be partially shaded by their roof A/C units and other roof based items. They should have spent considerably more effort in panel placement with potential shading being the main consideration….especially for a series connected array!!!

Nothing wrong with placing all of your panels in series, but if you have ANY ISSUES with one of the 6 panels in the string…….like partial shading…..you will effectively loose the entire array! After spending all of those dollars for equipment (of course, they got a lot of it FREE!!), I would not chance a system failure like that….preferring to connect all panels in parallel thru a dual bus combiner box to assure for maximum performance in the event of a single module failure.

I am also not a fan of the MC-4 cable connectors (which they use repeatedly) and especially the cable entry apparatus. They still rely on too many connections that are prone to failure (no crimping…only push-in connections) which lead to potential voltage drop.

Any 960 watt solar array, when properly coupled to the right solar charge controller using the proper sized cables should produce up to 60 amps to the batteries in full sun around solar 'noon' from an MPPT controller. I have previously posted a couple of shots of a 1920 watt array that I placed on a Winnebago motor home that gets just over 100 amps to the batteries with a practical maximum of 120 amps.

This system employed 3 individual solar charge controllers (Blue Sky 3024iL rated at 40 amps @ 12VDC) in parallel controlled by a single Blue Sky iPN-PRO remote, which has a capacity of monitoring up to 8 separate solar charge controllers for very large arrays.

Some of their cautions are indeed valid; specifically being certain that your chosen installer (or yourself if DIY) is intimately familiar with the parameters of the system, choosing your components wisely to be certain that they will match your needs, and most of all, having an installer (including yourself) that will not only follow code, but will do a complete, neat and professional job.

Anything else?
Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I know, I wouldn't climb on the roof to tilt the solar panels.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I respectfully disagree with Lew on a few points:

1. 10 AWG wire can quite easily handle the 960 W series connected array with low loss. Let's say the output voltage is 100 V, then the current is 960W/100V = 9.6A. If we assume the 10 AWG wire pair runs 75/2 feet, then the total wire length is 75', and the losses are 75'/1000'/millohm = .075 ohm. At 9.6A the voltage drop is 0.72V. So the voltage loss due to the 10 AWG wires represents a loss of 0.72/100 = 0.72%. Not too shabby!

2. Panels typically have bypass diodes. If one or more of the panels happens to be in shade, then the bypass diodes will pass current and the MPPT controller will find a new operating point. Losing the entire array would be incorrect.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote