Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #321
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Oh and a really big Bravo Zulu to Cody at AM Solar for the assist yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #322
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Solar Panel Installation Report

It certainly is 'ALIVE' !!!

Just remember to keep it fed or it will get ornery..... :-))

GOOD JOB!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #323
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Spring Lake , Michigan
Just purchased exact same system as Tsunami from AM solar. Replacing factory solar on a 2012 Eddie Bauer. Wish me luck. Install will begin this weekend.
Apontoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #324
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Spring Lake , Michigan
Lew. I am replacing factory solar on a 2012 FB Eddie Bauer. Purchased the AM Solar Sun Runner Signature 25mppt. Do you think it is possible to fish the cable from the NEW AM solar system from the roof, thru same path as the current factory solar? Can I just pull the factory wires from the roof to the interior with the new cable attached just to fish them thru. Not sure how they wind thru the unit. Any thoughts on how to do this?

As purchase 2 100 watt panels but thought it would be nice to keep one of the factory panels as well. Can I do this? Do not want to mess up the new system. The factory panels are good. The Controler is what quit working.
Apontoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #325
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
Lew. I am replacing factory solar on a 2012 FB Eddie Bauer. Purchased the AM Solar Sun Runner Signature 25mppt. Do you think it is possible to fish the cable from the NEW AM solar system from the roof, thru same path as the current factory solar? Can I just pull the factory wires from the roof to the interior with the new cable attached just to fish them thru. Not sure how they wind thru the unit. Any thoughts on how to do this?

As purchase 2 100 watt panels but thought it would be nice to keep one of the factory panels as well. Can I do this? Do not want to mess up the new system. The factory panels are good. The Controler is what quit working.

Indigo,

I doubt it very much if you will be able to pull anything with the premier, as it is fastened inside the walls at multiple points.

There is a far simpler way to bring your solar cable into the cabin. PM me if you would like the skinny.

As far as keeping a factory to add into your new system, the output voltages nest be within a couple tents of a volt or the disparity will confuse the MPPT function and will not provide the solar boost benefit.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 04-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #326
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
Just purchased exact same system as Tsunami from AM solar. Replacing factory solar on a 2012 Eddie Bauer. Wish me luck. Install will begin this weekend.
For me, I just planned, planned, planned and then hacked the plan. Good luck.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #327
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Parallel Vs Series Panels

Perhaps Lew or another wise resource person can answer this question:

I just sold my Airstream because I bought a Nordic Tug 37 (boat) & can't afford the cost or time to run both. The Airstream, sadly, had to go to some nice new owners.

I am installing Solar panels on the boat (2 x 275 W panels) with a TriStar MPPT-45 Controller feeding 4 x 260 Ah 6V AGM batteries in the House Bank (12V System). Boats don't have Propane fridges or freezers, they run on 12 VDC increasing the draw significantly. OTOH we won't be camping under the trees so should have access to lots of sky and sun.

So my Question: I am advised by the solar vendor that we should install the panels in series to give a nominal output voltage of 48 V & maximum current of 11.5 A. He doesn't think shading should be an issue.

BUT, I am told by other folks that if there is any shading of the panels (by the mast or Radar dome, for example) that the system output can drop dramatically.

Would this be less of an issue if the panels were connected in Parallel vs Series? If so, I would need to increase the wire size to accommodate the higher current load at the lower 24 V output.

Any advice appreciated before I start running wire and commit to one strategy...

Thanks.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #328
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Have we already purchased the 275w panels?

I'd be of the bent to use four (or five) smaller panels to accommodate shading better, Canadian sun angles on a flat collector certainly can use help ten months out of the year.

I'm in seriously like with your Nordic Tug 37 boat choice:

Image borrowed from http://www.knot-workin.com/ sailing the Chesapeake Bay...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #329
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Have we already purchased the 275w panels?

I'd be of the bent to use four (or five) smaller panels to accommodate shading better, Canadian sun angles on a flat collector certainly can use help ten months out of the year.

I'm in seriously like with your Nordic Tug 37 boat choice:

Image borrowed from http://www.knot-workin.com/ sailing the Chesapeake Bay...
Thanks Wabbiteer.

Your suggestion of multiple panels makes sense but these panels fit the free space so nicely & I frankly didn't think of the advantages of multiple panels... I did buy them so my options are limited. We get a lot of sky though compared to camping in the trees.

Introducing 'Tugaway', a 2006 Nordic Tug 37:

It's not nearly so aerodynamic as the Airstream but it floats a lot better and gets us to marine parks the Airstream never could...
Old 05-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #330
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The Blue Sky is a better system. Plus, Bogart's reasoning for not offering an MPPT controller seems spurious at best. He's beginning to sound a lot like 'Angry Bob' 😄

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
I took " Angry" Bob and Ralph's( Bogart Engineering) and many other publications advice that MPPT for less than 400w is overkill and used the TM2030 in conjunction with the PWM TC 2030 and was totally satisfied with the performance till my Renogy panels went south.
I like the small footprint and total intigration of the 2 units. I don't need some big flashy panel in my living area to show what my solar is doing
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 AM   #331
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
eheffa: With panels in hand I'd heavy up the wiring for use as parallel and then try both ways, perhaps begin with series? The magic of MC4 connections makes small changes stay small changes. And money invested in heavier copper will pay dividends every minute the sun shines...
Old 05-04-2016, 06:22 AM   #332
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
eheffa: With panels in hand I'd heavy up the wiring for use as parallel and then try both ways, perhaps begin with series? The magic of MC4 connections makes small changes stay small changes. And money invested in heavier copper will pay dividends every minute the sun shines...
Thanks. I think I may put a DPDT switch in the helm station that allows me to toggle back and forth between a Series and Parallel setup. I will report back on my findings.

-evan
Old 05-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #333
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I took " Angry" Bob and Ralph's( Bogart Engineering) and many other publications advice that MPPT for less than 400w is overkill and used the TM2030 in conjunction with the PWM TC 2030 and was totally satisfied with the performance till my Renogy panels went south.
I like the small footprint and total intigration of the 2 units. I don't need some big flashy panel in my living area to show what my solar is doing
Angry Bob and Ralph are the only two making those grandiose claims about PWM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #334
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Angry Bob and Ralph are the only two making those grandiose claims about PWM.
Ok. You know best.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #335
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
uh huh

I didn't say that. I just said their claims are grandiose at best. Right in line with what Lew said.

If there are dozens of publications saying that, please post some links for all of us. It would be news to me. And I'd like to correct my position.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #336
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
You can have your choice of parallel or series...

My trailer has (2) 100 Watt panels, with a heavy duty DPDT relay in the connector box. The default (no coil power) position is parallel, but applying +12V to the coil through a remote cable switches the panels to a series configuration.

In camp sites with shade spots, I go for the parallel; with full sun all day, I use series.

Of course it's overkill, but I'm a serious geek.

So there!

Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #337
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
Thanks. I think I may put a DPDT switch in the helm station that allows me to toggle back and forth between a Series and Parallel setup. I will report back on my findings.

-evan
If you put a DPDT switch in the helm, you'll need to bring your solar panel wiring directly to the switch which might be difficult. However, if you use a DPDT relay near the panels like drboyd did, you can use a SPDT switch at the helm and avoid running heavy gauge wire everywhere.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #338
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
My trailer has (2) 100 Watt panels, with a heavy duty DPDT relay in the connector box. The default (no coil power) position is parallel, but applying +12V to the coil through a remote cable switches the panels to a series configuration.

In camp sites with shade spots, I go for the parallel; with full sun all day, I use series.

Of course it's overkill, but I'm a serious geek.

So there!

That's a great idea. Thanks.

I may try to emulate that as I suspect there would be situations that would favour either Parallel or Series.

-evan
Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #339
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
If you put a DPDT switch in the helm, you'll need to bring your solar panel wiring directly to the switch which might be difficult. However, if you use a DPDT relay near the panels like drboyd did, you can use a SPDT switch at the helm and avoid running heavy gauge wire everywhere.
Yes. You're right.

A more elegant solution comes to mind:

I may just run all four of the Standard 10 AWG cables to the engine room with and install a Relay DPDT switch there just before the MPPT Controller with a Parallel / Series switch at the helm.

Thanks.

-evan
Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #340
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
uh huh

I didn't say that. I just said their claims are grandiose at best. Right in line with what Lew said.

If there are dozens of publications saying that, please post some links for all of us. It would be news to me. And I'd like to correct my position.

I regularly see appreciable 'solar boost' with solar arrays 200 watts+. I measure the amperage coming into the solar controller and then directly to the batteries. Always an amperage increase except for extremely low light situations like morning/ evening very lie sun angles.

I'm with Bold on this one. 'Angry' and Ralph can continue to espouse the virtues of dated, simple modulating technology while most other folks use MPPT to gat the most from their panels.

And wait 'till we get the Victron solar controllers fully integrated. They have the fastest MPPT sampling times in the industry to produce even more 'boost'.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357