Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Solar on TV?

So what do folks think about mounting the solar panels on the TV? I have a 16 Sport and a Tacoma. I've heard concerns about not charging while off on a day hike or adventure but what's the downside if the trailer is parked in the shade?
The up of course is to be able to follow the sun with the solar array while keeping the trailer parked.
I'd love to hear what the more experienced of you have to say about the ups and downs of this idea.
THANKS! Larry
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've thought about it as well, and decided it would be easier to move a portable solar panel into the sun when we need it, as well as best orientation to the sun. Pretty much the same idea.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
So what do folks think about mounting the solar panels on the TV? I have a 16 Sport and a Tacoma. I've heard concerns about not charging while off on a day hike or adventure but what's the downside if the trailer is parked in the shade?

The up of course is to be able to follow the sun with the solar array while keeping the trailer parked.

I'd love to hear what the more experienced of you have to say about the ups and downs of this idea.

THANKS! Larry

It is definitely do-able. I had 500 watts of solar on the roof of my Sprinter tow vehicle with none on the 19' Bambi trailer 10 years ago. Worked very well, but I also had a 2800 watt inverter and 300 amp-hour AGM battery bank in the van as well.

Used it as my own personal 20 amp power post for the trailer when needed.

Lew Farber
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Denver , Colorado
I would think a movable panel would be a better solution.
SkyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Here's the rack I'm considering. http://www.warriorproducts.com/catal...tems/bed-rack/ It slides into the Tacoma's factory tracks inside of the bed. Conceivably I could even remove the whole rack/solar array by sliding the rack out of the bed and use as a truly portable set up. I have the TM-2030 and SC 2030 and would be able to put more panel surface area on the rack than the 16'
Anybody done anything like this?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
I would think a movable panel would be a better solution.
For a small system, perhaps.....but it would be a bit of a chore moving 5 X 100 watt panels.....especially the challenge of storage when not in use.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Here's the rack for the pick up bed: http://www.warriorproducts.com/catal...tems/bed-rack/
This thing slides into the factory tracks. If necessary I could even slide the rack with the solar array out of the truck.
The other possible advantage would be the accessibility for tilting the panels.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Solar panels on tow vehicle

Hi Llittle54:

I mounted two 100 Watt solar panels (AM Solar model SF100) on a bracket on top of the 8' long Alaskan Camper in the bed of my tow vehicle, a 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. Earlier this month I installed a DPDT rocker switch (On-Off-On with a LED in the paddle for each On position, Cole Hersey model 58332-33) in the solar panel output line just above the camper's charge controller (a Blue Sky PWM Sun Charger 30 model) inside the Alaskan.

Pushing the DPDT switch rocker in position A sends the amps from the solar panels (wired in parallel) to the charge controller inside the Alaskan camper. Pushing the rocker switch in position B sends the solar panel amps down a different 10/2 cable to a 30 amp capacity Anderson connector mounted under the trucks' rear bumper, then on to a separate Blue Sky PWM Sun Charger 30 charge controller inside my 1953 Airstream travel trailer. The cable to the Airstream uses two 30 amp Andersen connectors to connect and disconnect underneath my truck's rear bumper, similar to the 7 way trailer cable to the Airstream.

The Airstream's battery is charged from the two solar panels atop the truck only when plugged into the Airstream and rocker switch position B is selected, which is always when towing the Airstream along treeless highways and often when the truck is parked close to the Airstream. There is nothing on top of my Alaskan to block the sun's rays hitting the solar panels. With a 10/2 cable extension, I can park the Dodge in the sun and still connect it to the charge controller in the Airstream.

I can easily add a third 100 watt solar panel to the rack on the Alaskan, but the Alaskan's roof vent prevents me from adding a fourth panel. However, if you have a topper (or even just a pickup bed rack) on your Tacoma, you should be able to fit four 100 watt solar pans up there on your Tacoma and send their amperage to a charge controller inside your 16' Sport. The 30 amp Andersen connectors I use can be plugged together and pulled apart (connected and disconnected) while the wires are hot, a useful benefit. Andersen connectors come in many larger sizes to fit your needs, but my yellow pair at 30 amps capacity are the smallest ones made.

Look here to see the solar panels atop my Alaskan camper, which power the Engel 12 volt marine refrigerator I installed in it:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/t...in-1966-8-nco/

I have not yet amended my posting there to show the new DPDT rocker switch. Enjoy!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
So what do folks think about mounting the solar panels on the TV?
A couple of negatives to think about:

1. No solar to maintain your batteries when the trailer is in storage.
2. Your TV will charge your house battery while you are driving. I'm not sure how you would feed into the trailer on the move.
3. They may create a lot of wind noise on the top of your TV while travelling.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Lemonade solutions . . .

Hi Adventure.AS:

Here are my lemonade solutions:

1. I store my 1953 21' Flying Cloud in my backyard, where it is always plugged into 120 volts A.C. from my garage. The 120 volts always run my Intellipower model PD6140A power converter with 3 stage battery charger, which correctly maintains my Sears Group 31M AGM 12 volt battery during storage.

2. Charging your Airstream battery from the tow vehicle alternator is not particularly efficient given the typical undersized wire used for the long distance run to the trailer battery; and the possible conflict for the alternator between charging the vehicle battery-- its primary task -- and the trailer battery as an afterthought (unless wired correctly to separate and isolate the two batteries and charging demands). The solar panels, by contrast, have only one task - charge the trailer battery - and with proper gauge wire (10/2 in my case) and Andersen connectors, the solar panels can do that single task admirably when on the road or boondocking.

3. I never noticed any wind noise above the symphonic purring of my Cummins turbo diesel engine, but newer vehicles may be quieter and wind noise, if built into the solar panel mounting, may be noticeable. But mounting the solar panels above and behind the cab may reduce that possible concern.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Thanks for your time and comments folks! Still up in the air but it's good to hear it's been done. I have access to shore power at home as well. The idea of keeping the panels hooked up while traveling had not crossed my slow mind. Thanks again and I look forward to any other comments.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Here's the rack for the pick up bed: http://www.warriorproducts.com/catal...tems/bed-rack/
This thing slides into the factory tracks. If necessary I could even slide the rack with the solar array out of the truck. The other possible advantage would be the accessibility for tilting the panels.
Hi Larry:

The bed rack is a good idea. But a fully enclosed utility topper for the bed of your Tacoma has the following advantages:

1. Lockable dry storage for all sorts of gear and camping equipment. Lockable secures all that stuff when you are parked on the street, in a parking lot or at a remote campsite or trailhead. Dry is a benefit in the damp and wet state of Washington and near the shoreline.

2. Out of sight, out of mind. Mounting solar panels on the roof of an enclosed pickup topper puts them up out of sight for most people, where they are less noticeable and far less of a convenient temptation for ne'er-do-wells. Mounting them just above the top of the pickup bed puts them in plain sight and at a lower level that ne'er-do-wells will find convenient for stealing.

3. With a short step ladder stored inside the camper topper to reach them, the topper mounted solar panels can also be tipped for better alignment to a lower sun.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 08-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
For a small system, perhaps.....but it would be a bit of a chore moving 5 X 100 watt panels.....especially the challenge of storage when not in use.
Ha! Yes. 500 watts is a lot to move.

I have 2 x 100 fixed on top of my sport 16 and it is plenty for my power usage. Batteries are typically fully charged by 10:30 am.
SkyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
I'm about to place an order for a Leer 100XQ cap for my 2015 Frontier. I plan to add the Thule Aero Bar Roof Rack. Not sure I will add solar, but now I have the ability to do that.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Depends on your application.

I use mine to top off batteries with a 100w panel when in storage.

I considered removable but I am too lazy to keep lugging it around. I always have my gens anyways.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Still trying to think it all through. Leaving for the Canadian Rookies this week so it will have to wait. I have just installed a TM 2030 and SC 2030 in anticipation. I hooked up a portable 80w with its own controller through the trailer and the TM 2030 so now I can watch as the electricity travels.
Right now I am leaning towards a roof mount system. Everything is in place (monitor and controller) and I have identified the factory installed solar wiring. The TM 2030 is working great and I know the portable works. Now I just have to decide if I have the guts to rip off the TV (television) antenna and start putting holes in the AS. (One idea was to cut the post on the mushroom antenna low enough for the panel to sit over and cap it off. Comments?)
Lew I'll probably purchase the AM panels and mounts. I've read most everything posted here. With the 2030's and the pre installed wires any additional points of wisdom??? THAANKS
Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A nickel says Lew will tell you not to bother with the pre-installed wiring. It's too small.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Little 54, I used the same TM2030 with SC2030 hooked up to an Anderson plug at the battery box so I could plug in the 22ft umbilical to a connection on my truck where I had 3 Renogy flexible 100w panels mounted. All was we until 2 of the 3 panels went south. Renogy fully reimbursed me for the panels and shipping.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
And I meant to say before my fat fingers got in the way, I will do it again when I can find the right panels. But this time I will leave air space and mount them on some sort of tilt arrangement.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
A nickel says Lew will tell you not to bother with the pre-installed wiring. It's too small.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

Make it a quarter and you have a deal!!! 😁

Lew Farber