Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Question Solar Installation on a 2007 19' Bambi

I am getting ready to install one or 2 solar panels from AM Solar on my Bambi. Does anyone have experience with the installation. I would like recommendations on where to place the 100 watt panels, where to mount the monitor and where to run the wiring to the combo battery/solar monitor from the charge controller. Also, where to route the wiring to the charge controller from the panels. Mine is prewired with a set of wires (10 gauge ?), running from under the forward fantastic fan trim to the coach wiring under the port dinette seat. I will need to fish wires or use a vent of some kind to get the wires from the panels into the coach if the pre-wire is not a heavy enough gauge. Hopefully with no roof penetrations. The refer vent is on the starboard side and the wires would need to be routed to the port side if that vent was used. That seems like a difficult run to hide. Going into the closet beside the galley may be an option. Hopefully someone has had some experience with routing and hiding the wiring. I have done some research on this forum and have read Lewster's posts which are very informative but would welcome anyone's suggestions.
Thanks,
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm123 View Post
I am getting ready to install one or 2 solar panels from AM Solar on my Bambi. Does anyone have experience with the installation. I would like recommendations on where to place the 100 watt panels, where to mount the monitor and where to run the wiring to the combo battery/solar monitor from the charge controller. Also, where to route the wiring to the charge controller from the panels. Mine is prewired with a set of wires (10 gauge ?), running from under the forward fantastic fan trim to the coach wiring under the port dinette seat. I will need to fish wires or use a vent of some kind to get the wires from the panels into the coach if the pre-wire is not a heavy enough gauge. Hopefully with no roof penetrations. The refer vent is on the starboard side and the wires would need to be routed to the port side if that vent was used. That seems like a difficult run to hide. Going into the closet beside the galley may be an option. Hopefully someone has had some experience with routing and hiding the wiring. I have done some research on this forum and have read Lewster's posts which are very informative but would welcome anyone's suggestions.
Thanks,
Ken
"Going into the closet beside the galley may be an option"

This is the BEST option and is key to your installation being done properly and efficiently.

Cables can be run from the roof and monitor panels located there. Cabling to the solar charge controller and then to the batteries can run under the galley cabinets into your dinette on the street side to pick up the floor hole for battery access.

These pathways will leave nothing visible inside the trailer. You should also remove your crank-up TV antenna, as this is a prime panel location. Your combiner box can be mounted directly above the closet, resulting in a single hole for the entire installation. You can position a Jack antenna toward the rear of the trailer if you need a TV antenna.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Lew,
Thanks again, What do you think about a simpler solution like the Zamp 200 watt portable rv solar kit with 30 amp controller and battery upgrade to lifeline 6 volt batteries? I am trying to weigh all the options. Slowly but surely i am becoming educated.
Ken
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
PM sent

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 10-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Sent you a PM
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Campbell , California
We added a solar system to our 19ft AS from AM Solar. Lewster's approach would be the best if you can fit two 100 panels on the roof and relocating the TV antenna would make a big difference.

After some consultation with AM Solar, we choose the easier route by using two 50W panels that fit and the factory solar pre-wire. It worked out well due to their high efficiency system, short wire runs, and modest electrical demands - we often camp disconnected at western state parks.

Some pics...
~ Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panels.JPG
Views:	1419
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	249882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Controller.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	249883  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Remote Monitor.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	249884   Click image for larger version

Name:	AGM Batteries.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	249885  

KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
AM Solar no longer has 50 watt panels, and their compact GS-100 panels are almost gone!!

If you are considering a solar installation, I would strongly suggest buying the panels now so you will have them available when you are ready.

Once the GS-100s are gone...... There ain't no more !! :-))

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Marina , California
AM Solar install 150 watt panels, a 100 and a 50 on my 19' Bambi. Here is a picture on the install.
Off-we-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Thanks everyone for the pictures and information. It is very helpful in designing and installing my system.
Ken
Old 10-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #10

2011 16' Sport
Los Angeles , CA
Battery connection

Hi everyone,

I am not very familiar with the electrics in our 2011 sport 16 and am also looking to install a couple panels. I see from the pictures where to connect the controller via the pre-wire, but how do we then connect it to the battery and existing electrical system?
plan_bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Campbell , California
The solar system is essentially a battery charger. So the output from the controller should go directly to the battery (preferred), or to the battery bar inside the trailer (factory method). Your trailer wiring diagram should show the factory solar wiring set up.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
AM Solar, amsolar.com has a complete series of educational videos and tutorials on every thing you need to know about solar installation and batteries. They are also willing to give advice over the phone. There is also a thread on solar in the forums that is very helpful with hundreds of posts. Hope this helps.
Ken
Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan_bea View Post
Hi everyone,

I am not very familiar with the electrics in our 2011 sport 16 and am also looking to install a couple panels. I see from the pictures where to connect the controller via the pre-wire, but how do we then connect it to the battery and existing electrical system?
I placed detailed photos of how I connected my solar controller between the Airstream pre-wire and bussbars here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ml#post2167314
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote