Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Solar Controller

I have factory installed solar panels on our 2012 FC and it appears the PVCM25D a 25A Photo-Voltaic charge Controller has gone bad and will need to be replaced. My question is would you replace it OEM part from Atkinson or use a different make and model.

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I have factory installed solar panels on our 2012 FC and it appears the PVCM25D a 25A Photo-Voltaic charge Controller has gone bad and will need to be replaced. My question is would you replace it OEM part from Atkinson or use a different make and model.

Thanks
There seem to have been a significant number of solar charge controller failures associated with the OEM unit provided by Airstream. Depending on the size of your solar array and what type of information you would like from your solar charge controller, there are several alternatives that are better units.

From the basic MPPT charge controllers with temperature compensation like the Blue Sky 3000i to the sophisticated Blue Sky 2512iX-HV with the iPN remote that has full temp. compensation and a full function integrated battery monitor system. Morningstar also makes a very nice 15 amp MPPT stand-alone unit.

I have been installing these for the past several years and have yet to see a failure from either Blue Sky of Morningstar.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I appreciate the info. If I went with different controller would I have to change the wiring and/or display.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I appreciate the info. If I went with different controller would I have to change the wiring and/or display.
Depending on the controller you choose, yes and no.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Lew
I would prefer not to have to change either the wiring or the display however I would prefer a better controller
Tanks again for the info
John
Old 09-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I do not see how that display is going to work with anything else, but the wiring will be the same for most everything else.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The display must be replaced with what a unit made by the new solar charge controller manufacturer. The RJ-11 cable should still be compatible, but I generally leave the old display in place and run new cable to a new display location.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 09-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have the factory solar in the same model as yours. Works well, displays what we need to know, I would just replace the original with the same one.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Doug,

I disagree, the factory system uses a controller that is on or off and is really as bad as the factory converter for battery charging. Any of the models Lewster mentions have charge profiles that are the right way to charge the batteries.
Larry
Old 09-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Larry
I know little about solar and or their controllers. It would certainly be easier to swap out the old for the new.
Could yoy also tell me if you have factory installed solar and have you had to change it out. If so what did you go with and where did you place the new display. My concern of course is running the wires and making another hole in the AS.

Thanks
John
Old 09-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Yes, new for old is easy. I doubt you should do what I did if you are not into this stuff. I clipped one wire on the old and spliced in a new controller located just under the foot of the bed. I wanted to be able to see the lights on the controller, which you cannot see in the factory install. The old display still reads voltage but since it is cut out of the circuit it does not read current. Doesn't matter to me because I installed a Trimetrics monitor to tell me all of the DC circuit parameters and the factory display is redundant and less robust. Oh I went with the Morningstar MPPT controller.
Larry
Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Larry
I think I will do it the easy way and thanks for the information.
John
Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Doug thanks for the info I am definitely leaning to replacing the old with one just like it.
John
Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Doug,

I disagree, the factory system uses a controller that is on or off and is really as bad as the factory converter for battery charging. Any of the models Lewster mentions have charge profiles that are the right way to charge the batteries.
Larry
Thanks Larry. I have some electronics background but it's been awhile.

The way I understand it the factory solar controller cycles the charge turning on or off when the voltage reaches predetermined high or low voltages, variable by temperature. (It would have to be mounted in the battery compartment to have better temperature compensation.)

I believe that's better than the factory converter/charger which places a constant high charging voltage on the batteries (with no consideration for temperature), shortening the battery life.

For that reason I try to never allow the factory converter/charger to charge the batteries by putting the battery switch (by the entrance door) in the "STORE" position whenever connected to external power. I let the solar do the charging, unless there is little or no sun available and I have low batteries.

Maybe the factory solar controller does not have an ideal charging profile, but is it really as bad as the factory converter? I'm don't usually to throw money toward perfection when good enough is doing the job.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Can someone tell me where I can get the controller. It is made by Atkinson Electronics and the part number is PVCM 25D. Must I buy it direct from Atkinson or are there other sellers?
Thanks
John
Old 09-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

John,

When I bought their charging relay for the truck I had to buy direct from them. They were very friendly and helpful over the phone.
Larry
Old 09-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Larry
That is kinda what I thought as there really is no on line stores showing them. I was surprise I could not find it on an airstream website or the camping world web sites.
thanks
John