Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2021 28' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
shore power vs. generator problem

Just purchased the companion Honda EU2000 set for my '67 Caravel. The electrical system works fine on shore power, even with Coleman Cub 9200 BTU AC on full blast. But.... the 1989 power controller shuts down all electrics after being plugging into Honda combo after about 10 seconds no matter how small the load. All cords and adapters are brand new and connected correctly.There is a clicking sound coming from the inverter/power controller unit before it shuts everything down. Eco is off on both gens. I can unplug and plug back in and the same thing happens. RVOLOGY tech. sez the generators are fine and is still scratching his head.. Thanks in advance for any help... Ed
DeltaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My transfer switch senses generator is on waits 30 secs then shuts off shore power supply line, clicks twice,shutting down shorepower and then connecting generator. It has a green light in the transfer case to show generator is connected but can only see it if the case has front panel off. If would be better if they put lights to show connections where you can see them.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
If I connect my EU 2000 to my main external outlet my power protection unit disconnects because it senses an open ground, due to not grounding the generator. If I connect it to the Gen input which bypasses the power protection it works fine. I know there was something about this on another thread that might help you.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2021 28' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Problem solved, replaced inverter with 60 amp Progressive Dynamics converter. Coleman Cub 9200 BTU AC works great on dual EU 2000 setup, even when selecting ECO mode on the generators cutting them back to about 50%.. 1st trip next week, Navy Pensacola "Blue Angel" RV park..
DeltaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Hey - I'm a Blue Angel, lots of fun "End of Season" parties at that park, have a great time!
Attached Images

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote