Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
RV Solar and Electric Super Panel Kit

Does anyone have experience with the Super Panel Kit (85 Watts, 5 Amps 26" x 40" 17 lbs.) offered by RV Solar and Electric?

I estimate my boondocking power usage to range from about 30 to 60 AH depending on the day. The site says to figure about 35 AH charging in the summer (25 winter) out of an 80 watt panel. Right now if I am frugal, I can go at least 4 days between charges. Presumably a 30 AH system would keep me in play several days longer between charges, but ultimately fall behind demand necessitating running the generator.

The price is right for a one panel kit, but adding a second panel for extra capacity would about double the cost, making the idea much less attractive. The next size up kit is priced OK, but wouldn't fit between the AC and rear fantastic fan.

So, what do you think, should I wait until I have more money to buy a two panel arrangement, or go with the one and accept that it would extend the time between pulling out the generator, but probably not keep up.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
When we looked at solar, I figured we'd be spending about $1500... so the prices you quote seem pretty reasonable. I guess what would help is an idea of your proposed use. Are you talking about full time boondocking where you want to lose the generator entirely or a series of shorter stays where you have access to shore power. If you are looking to replace the generator, the cost-benefit equation changes.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Super Panel Kit (85 Watts, 5 Amps 26" x 40" 17 lbs.) offered by RV Solar and Electric?

I estimate my boondocking power usage to range from about 30 to 60 AH depending on the day. The site says to figure about 35 AH charging in the summer (25 winter) out of an 80 watt panel. Right now if I am frugal, I can go at least 4 days between charges. Presumably a 30 AH system would keep me in play several days longer between charges, but ultimately fall behind demand necessitating running the generator.

The price is right for a one panel kit, but adding a second panel for extra capacity would about double the cost, making the idea much less attractive. The next size up kit is priced OK, but wouldn't fit between the AC and rear fantastic fan.

So, what do you think, should I wait until I have more money to buy a two panel arrangement, or go with the one and accept that it would extend the time between pulling out the generator, but probably not keep up.
My advice would be to buy the next size up and do not mount it permanently on the trailer. Instead make a stand for it. You can place the stand to be exposed to the sun longer and be at a better angle. Especially if you are at the trailer during the day, you can move it every once in a while. A cell flat on the roof is a real compromise.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rodney,
I would go with the Jumbo Panel Kit. The price difference is minimal between the two packages. Besides, you need at least a 125 watt panel if you like to Boondock. Are you going to mount this on your roof?

I've dealt with these folks before. They are great folks and are very knowledgable.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
My advice would be to buy the next size up and do not mount it permanently on the trailer. Instead make a stand for it. You can place the stand to be exposed to the sun longer and be at a better angle. Especially if you are at the trailer during the day, you can move it every once in a while. A cell flat on the roof is a real compromise.

Regards,
Ken
The ONLY downside in using this option is theft. The big ticket items thieves love to steal from RV'ers are generators, bikes, and solar panels.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
You know what would be cool... a utility truck with a small deployable solar array. You could convert an old mechanic's lift arm without much trouble. Someone smarter than me could probably figure out how to program the array to move with the sun. You could drop in transit and elevate it when boondocked.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Ideally, I want to get to the point where the generator comes out infrequently if at all regardless of time on location. Yep, its going on the roof. I don't have any interest in more loose equipment. The next size up isn't an option because it simply wont fit.

I called the company and if I were to add a second panel in front of the AC (a 26x26" 50 watt 3 amp) and the upgraded controller the cost goes to $925. I think I can take the 30% tax credit since I full time. This would give me 135 watts and 8 amps (I think) but would cost $400 more.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I would look at two panels from AM Solar. 100 watts each at 379.00 a panel and add a Solar Boost 2000e.from Blue Sky brings it to a bit over $1000.00 before wiring , brackets etc. That's what I'm looking at anyway. http://www.infinigi.com/blue-sky-ene...ler-p-879.html http://amsolar.com/
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
2 more cents from the peanut gallery

I would be concerned about the controller that you are being offered with the RV Solar Kit. Does it have MPPT? What size is offered with the Super Kit? Given your requirements (and future plans) I would not invest in a controller smaller than 20Amps.

Will the 100 Watt panel from AM Solar fit your Airstream (21.25" X 57")? They are having a sale on a 100W system with 22Amp controller. Cost, assuming tax credit, would be about $600.

Don't forget your batteries. Personally, we are really happy with 2 Trojan 6-Volt batteries. They were a lot less money than gel-mats, and they can be discharged more deeply without damage.

You'll love the silence of solar charging!
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Unfortunately, the 100 watt panels will not fit. The upgrade controller is about $100 (that was included in the more expensive option listed below.

I did some more rigorous calculations and I am comfortable with a 25-40 AH budget. But call it 45 AH

My battery bank is two 125 AH batteries.

Is this logic correct:
two 125 AH batteries = 250 AH.
250 AH @ 50% discharge = 125 usable AH

So 45 AH usage offset by 35 AH recharge leaves a 10 AH daily deficit
125 usable AH/10125/10 gives 12 days before recharging. (skipping the ifs and buts about cloudy days and shade.)

Do I have this all right?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Unfortunately, the 100 watt panels will not fit. The upgrade controller is about $100 (that was included in the more expensive option listed below.

I did some more rigorous calculations and I am comfortable with a 25-40 AH budget. But call it 45 AH

My battery bank is two 125 AH batteries.

Is this logic correct:
two 125 AH batteries = 250 AH.
250 AH @ 50% discharge = 125 usable AH

So 45 AH usage offset by 35 AH recharge leaves a 10 AH daily deficit
125 usable AH/10125/10 gives 12 days before recharging. (skipping the ifs and buts about cloudy days and shade.)

Do I have this all right?
As long as your two batteries are 12 volt and not 6, all that looks good to me. Just keep in mind that the 5 amps that your panel can put out is only going to happen if the sun is straight overhead the panel. Which is something that can't ever be the case in North America. Without researching it, I do not know how it falls off as the angle of incedence decreases, but I am guessing it is just plain trigonometry. I have seen my own solar panel generating some current when in total shade, which I expect is from reflections.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I did some experimentation with a 85 watt Kyocera panel before installing it on my Bambi.

The panel would put out it's rated amperage under the Arizona sun at about a 45 degree angle to the panel, increasing the angle would result in a rapid decrease in output. Shaded, but under a clear blue sky the panel would put out about 10% of rated capacity. Under overcast sky conditions the panel will do about 20-25%.

Increasing illumination beyond a certain point won't increase output, for example, using a large mirror to add sunshine to a fully illuminated panel won't increase output.

I installed the panel flat on the Bambi, and it requires periodic cleaning, on my Sovereign I installed two panels, one on either side, and at about a 5 degree angle, which allows the rain water to wash off the panels, making life easier.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Rodney,

Your logic appears to be correct -- and we all must make estimates and recognize that there are many, many variables.
Am I correct that you will keep your generator as an emergency backup? ... at least until you get some real-life experience?
I did not understand, what is the make, size and parameters of the controller offered with the Super system?
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDandTTs View Post
Rodney,

Your logic appears to be correct -- and we all must make estimates and recognize that there are many, many variables.
Am I correct that you will keep your generator as an emergency backup? ... at least until you get some real-life experience?
I did not understand, what is the make, size and parameters of the controller offered with the Super system?
I would absolutely keep a generator, I am just trying to figure out the minimal system that gets my foot in the door enough to significantly extend the battery bank life. The end game is to have enough wattage to be self sufficient under most conditions. Regardless of the system I get, I will probably get this controller which adds $100.

1. So the three main options right now are: the super panel kit 85 watt + controller for $635
  2. The above with a second smaller panel (50 watt) for an additional $300
  3. Do nothing and keep on relying on the generator.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
_

. , .
by simply adding a 3rd battery in parallel...

the juice available jumps by 50% and 2-3 MORE 'daze of power using your calculations.

what's the price of a 3rd battery of like size/make plus wiring for parallel connections?

that's the most bang for bucks and the best EXTENSION of camping days for the money...

it's like hauling MORE water 4 when it's really needed.
_________

THEN the small solar set up OR genset have a greater pot to fill.

WITH just 1 panel, be sure to get the tilt/adjustable mounting bracket...

at least then maxing out the available sunlight is possible.

i would imagine the controller/regulator included with the kit is NOT mppt...

it's probably the 8 amp base regulator listed.

the gopower IS a better choice.

that's NOT a big deal with a small system, but KNOW that really HOT days will limit the charging potential.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have thought about a third battery, its not clear where it would fit though. Is my memory right that all the batteries should be the same size?

Why does a third battery double the amount of reserves rather than add 1/3?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
_

. , .
yes the 3rd battery should be the SAME group size, style and even brand.

it's also recommended that they ALL be the same age, but with healthy FLOODED cells that's not a huge issue.

i assume u have FLOODED cells not gel or agms?

so mounting is best OUTSIDE and near the others, in parallel.

are the current batteries on the tongue? if so it's pretty easy to stack a 3rd or add another small box.

not a math expert here, but a 50% increase isn't doubling the reserve.

dropping from 3 to 2 is a 1/3 LOSS but UPPING from 2 to 3 is a 50% gain...

it ADDs 50% (to the prior bank) which then becomes 1/3 of the NEW total available....i think.

anyway 1 more battery is a good addition for the money and given your REPORTED use would add several days of juice.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The battery bank is in the rear. I really don't want to get into moving them at this point.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #19
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
You are paying $320 for the set up. Panels go for about $2.50 a watt. The upgrade to the Jumbo is a $2.44 a watt upgrade. That is in line. I do not realy know what's all included in a complete setup (I did not read the details).
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
_

. , .
Quote:
The battery bank is in the rear. I really don't want to get into moving them at this point.
are they UNDER something but inside the SHELL?

if so i hope they are adequately VENTED to the outside now.

u ditched that 'continental kit' tail box right?

don't really NEED to move them if there is space nearby for a 3rd.

and since they are wired in parallel the 3rd battery doesn't need to be in EXACTLY the same location...

just so there is access to the charger/controller gizmo.

cheers
2air'