Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
20 year member!

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Marina Del Rey , California
Question re latest info/experience on flexible v rigid solar panels

Hi knowledgable AS people...I've looked through threads from the past few years talking about flexible v rigid solar for airstreams. And, as technology races forwards ever faster, I wonder if any has any new feedback about which direction to go based on the most recent solar panel offerings. There have been a lot of new manufacturing and technology changes in this field over the past couple of years...

As our coaches have curved roofs (heh, duh!) in principle the flexible solar panels are perfect to keep the beautiful aesthetic. And sticking nasty looking frames with rigid solar panels on the roof really break that look and feel.

But of course, I'm aware of the challenges on previously available flexible panels regards sun damage and heat in particular and the related longevity problems that this creates on a 'hot tin roof'. Reading the marketing blurb from Renogy in particular, you would think this is now not a problem. But. Of course, in the real world etc etc. But things do change. And as solar generally is in incredibly well funded and deeply resourced industry now, I wonder if this is tricking down to our RV solar world yet...

I'm looking to put 400 watts of solar on my coach - I have an Airstream 1990 345LE which is undergoing a complete electrical refit - new Onan DFI 550 generator, 400aH Battleborn Lithium batteries, Victron Inverter/charger, Victron Solar charger, new cables throughout. And of course, 400 watts of solar panels.

Your thoughts and experienced advice most welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	385707  
willhenshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Here is all you need to know about flexible panels. They are Junk don't waste your money.

https://amsolar.com/solar-panels-for...lexible-panels

For 400watts you could deploy 2 sets of portable ground panels if you didn't want to mount them on your roof.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Here is all you need to know about flexible panels. They are Junk don't waste your money.

https://amsolar.com/solar-panels-for...lexible-panels

For 400watts you could deploy 2 sets of portable ground panels if you didn't want to mount them on your roof.
Even the Copper Indium Gallium DiSelenide (CIGS) panels that are becoming commercially available????

Life expectancy much greater than previous flexibles, military grade technology, construction that accommodates damage (just reduces total output - from the damaged section), tolerate shading well, as well as being suitable for direct adhesion to the roof (no need for air circulation).

Only down side I can see is cost.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post

I think that is always going to be the case regarding any technology. As the state of the art improves, the latest and greatest is always going to command a price premium, even as the previous states of the art decrease in price. You can have the future, but you’re going to pay a hefty price for it.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool How does Zamp justify its $500 OBSIDIAN 100w Panel Pricing?

What's so special about the Zamp OBSIDIAN Series Solar Panels?

How can Zamp charge $500.00 for a 100 watt Solar Panel?

Is it a unique 43.6” tall x 20.7” wide x .67” thin size?

Is it the 30% Lower, 10.78 lb, Weight? How about it's slick 'aerodynamic' design?

Is a Zamp OBSIDIAN 100 watt solar panel worth 5x more than a Renogy 100 solar panel!

How does Zamp get away with such a high price per watt?
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
What's so special about the Zamp OBSIDIAN Series Solar Panels?

How can Zamp charge $500.00 for a 100 watt Solar Panel?

Is it a unique 43.6” tall x 20.7” wide x .67” thin size?

Is it the 30% Lower, 10.78 lb, Weight? How about it's slick 'aerodynamic' design?

Is a Zamp OBSIDIAN 100 watt solar panel worth 5x more than a Renogy 100 solar panel!

How does Zamp get away with such a high price per watt?
Because people continue to buy them!
Old 04-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I think that is always going to be the case regarding any technology. As the state of the art improves, the latest and greatest is always going to command a price premium, even as the previous states of the art decrease in price. You can have the future, but you’re going to pay a hefty price for it.
I don't mind paying for the leading edge, just don't want it to be the bleeding edge! Just tying to find out if the CIGS are as good as they are rumored to be?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Love our CIGS solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Even the Copper Indium Gallium DiSelenide (CIGS) panels that are becoming commercially available????

Life expectancy much greater than previous flexibles, military grade technology, construction that accommodates damage (just reduces total output - from the damaged section), tolerate shading well, as well as being suitable for direct adhesion to the roof (no need for air circulation).

Hi there,
I installed 7 70watt CIGS panels from MiaSole last summer and couldn’t be happier. After many hours of researching and not wanting to put bulky glass panels on the roof with penetrations, I finally pulled the trigger. I paid about 2$ /watt and was able to install them in a few hours. Because the airstream is very curved the most power I have pulled is closer to 400 watts. For my purposes this is enough to do everything I need. I can run my fridge on ac while driving without any issues as well. Great upgrade!!! Highly recommended!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF1310ED-607B-4137-B4CB-9CDDA523BF8C.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	392794  
Humboldt Air is offline   Reply With Quote