Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Question Puzzling Generator Performance

Hi all,

I have a brand new Champion 2500 Dual Fuel running on propane from the LPG port (although for this experiment I tried also hooking it up to one of my main propane tanks).

I have recorded the display of my Victron 712 multiple times, with and without solar power and I do not understand how the watts it creates to charge my battery differ so much throughout the day.

Current setting:
  • 8,700ft altitude
  • Temperatures during the experiment: 52-67F
  • 2 x Battleborn Lithium 200amp
  • 4 x 90W Solar

I was debating this with @Wulfstraat and initially we thought solar and generator power compete with each other, and something wasn't installed properly but on very sunny days I can see the solar-W being added to the generator-W.

So the question is why does the generator produce 400-500W in the mornings, and later in the day 100-200W?

Please see attached screenshots, and I appreciate all your comments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator.pdf (2.81 MB, 32 views)
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
You should share any detail about your converter/charger as that does weigh in on this as well.

What is the voltage out of the generator during all of this? You don’t have other shore power to prove out the converter?
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:35 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Hi CMHM,

Are these readings at the battery? Is this just a reflection of the smart charger applying the level of charge as needed to match the battery condition? Are you just seeing windows of the smart charge going thru its different modes of charge? (constant, float, absorption, equalization)

Joe
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Hi all

I am at a campground now and I am seeing the same issue. @Joe it is definitely going through the different modes but when I arrived my batteries were at 10%.

I plugged in the 50amp anaconda and I was seeing 108W under Power. I then went to the breaker box and toggled the 50amp switches and then the Power went up to 548W and stayed there until the batteries were full.

I called Battleborn yesterday and we went through everything, they feel the install is correct and asked me to take further screenshots varying between 20/30/50amp input at the plug.

They’re wondering if the converter is doing its job in adapting to the different inputs.

Electrics is my weak spot, so any help is much appreciated.

S
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote