Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I have not really tested other propane-fired uses while the small Yamaha 1k inverter gen is running. I think the water heater may have run at the same time, but probably not the oven, range top burners, or the fridge (on propane), and definitely not the hot air furnace.

My guess would be that the trailer's propane system could handle almost all propane-fired uses at the same time, as the only one pulling off the low-pressure port is the small gen.

Sorry I don't have any usage/capacity stats available, nor the time or expertise to theorize. When the weather gets cold, I may try a full-scale test-run.

Have a good weekend.

Peter
Everything in my trailer runs off of one line from the regulator which is a low pressure (11"WC, 0.4 psi) line. Are there other configurations?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #82
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I love how this zombie thread of mine keeps coming back to life. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I did the same as Dave18134 and @airmiles and it worked for me.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I like Zombies. So just to add recent experience. Two Genconnex propane Honda eu2000s connected to my LP port on my 2017 International, running the furnace, hot water heater and refer. No problem.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Hose Requirement

I just want to check my understanding of this thread. I am considering getting a Genconnex Honda EU2200i and later a SoftStart for the AC. I was planning on simply using the 20lb propane tank that I use for my propane Fire Pit, and if needed, use the tank for the generator and AC.

I'm just speculating on a time when I might want to use the LP Propane Port on the Airstream.

1. What would the appropriate hose requirement be? A 1/4"(Airstream end) to 3/4" hose (Generator end)?

2. Would the low pressure restriction on the Airstream port be enough to power the generator for AC (with SoftStart)?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
I can confirm that a 1/4” hose connected to the factory quick connect will provide enough pressure to run most systems.

We’re using this connection to run our built in Onan qg 2500 units without any problems or restrictions — unit runs unit the tanks are effectively empty.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Based on my personal experience, 1/4" hose connected to factory quick connect provides sufficient gas to run both A/C units via a pair of eu2200i generators in parallel.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #88

Hey, cool, an old thread of mine roars back to life like a generator on a fresh tank of propane.

Yeah, our propane generator from GenConnex worked for us beautifully for as long as we needed one. We still have it, and keep it in the garage in case we get a hurricane that knocks out power to the house for a week or two so that while the power is gone we can run the fridge, maybe a light, and as many fans as we can muster.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Yep, low pressure port powers our Honda eu2000!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane generator on Airstream's low pressure port - Actual Experiences, please.

Yup. I added a low pressure port and it powers my Champion 3400 watt Dual Fuel inverter generator just fine!

I did go bigger just because I could..this is a 3/8 inch quick connector. 1/4 would have worked fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4577.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	378419

Name:	IMG_4730.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	378420

And it’s nice and quiet. Bet you can’t hear a thing but it is running in this photo. (Grin)

I did modify the regulator assembly that came with the generator to accommodate a low pressure port connection. The OEM regulator that connects directly to the generator must be used to make it run properly.

This is the one that connects to a bulk LOG tank if I want to run at the house. It’s the rest of the OEM assembly with a 3/8 female QC added.

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	378421
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:01 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
It’s alive!

As Rocinante noted... many of us contributed to this topic when it was alive and walked the earth like you and me.... now it has risen to serve again! Long may it re-live!

I still run TWO Honda 2000s simultaneously off the low pressure port. Never a problem in practice. Pics in my gallery and there is a thread somewhere that notes all of the fitting types or part numbers needed. Quick disconnects in a “tee” are the key.

That said, this is a situation that invokes the old but rarely used engineering axiom: “I see this works in practice, but will it work in theory?”

Even a single Honda 2000 generator exceeds the warning label maximum for the low pressure port on the trailer (25,000 BTU max). But I run two... how can that be? Two thoughts: contention and temperature.

The warning sticker was (likely) placed there by a lawyer who grilled engineers (I mean figuratively... in practice engineers should never be grilled... although lawyers and politicians may be under certain circumstances). The unknowing lawyer asked “let’s say it was zero degrees outside and one of our owners had all three burners on their stove on high, and their propane oven on, the furnace running, the water heater on propane and the fridge on propane... how much could the low pressure port sustain then without risking starvation of the other appliances?” A knowledgeable engineer offered an opinion: “Around 50,000 BTUs of load, I think.” The lawyer replied: “Great! Slap a sticker on that b*tch that says ‘25,000 BTU Max’ and we’re good to go!”. With that, the lawyer headed to the club for 18 holes while the engineers built something useful... a trailer for you... with a sticker that says “25,000 BTU Max”.

Note the temperature reference... the propane in your tanks “boils off’ from its liquid state to a vapor more slowly at lower temperatures.

So... when I need to power two generators simultaneously off that port it’s because I need air conditioning. By definition: it’s hot outside, so the system is able to handle more load and I’m not running all of that other propane-guzzling stuff.

That’s why it doesn’t work in theory but it does in practice... different test conditions.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Propane generator on Airstream's low pressure port - Actual Experiences, please.

One of the fun things about working for Boeing were the videos shared across the company about aircraft load testing.

The upward bend test for the 787 composite wing assembly was fun to watch as the test jig slowly bent it upwards to the design limit load, went about 19% past, and then the whole thing shredded to pieces with a helluva bang.

The best part, according to the engineers, was that it broke exactly where and how they predicted it would. But it did exceed the design load, they were cool with that part.

Fun video watching them break a very expensive wing just to prove the theory worked!

The other fun video was one that was cleverly photoshopped to show the 787 very gracefully flapping its wings like a huge bird as it flew past the camera.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Somewherein , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
propane-fired generator that we could run off the low pressure port quick disconnect that came with our 2014 Airstream. Our low-pressure port is described in glorious detail on page 647 of this Airstream parts document for our trailer: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...tional2014.pdf
Champion generators makes one of the most popular LP generators (Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator) they said: "The only way to connect to a supply hose is one that has 1/2 PSI with a flow rate of 76,000 BTU/hr to the pressure reducing valve and hose they provide."

IDK about hooking it up directly to the generator what kind of pressure it requires?
Wheelshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #94

Hey, thanks for jumping in, and welcome to the forums. We wound up buying a Honda EU2000i Companion, modified by GenConnex to burn propane and it ran very well indeed on our Airstream's low pressure port. We chose Honda vs. Champion because we wanted something that was a quiet as possible and we only needed about 2K watts, and it worked great for us.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Hi there. We're looking at options for a propane-fired generator that we could run off the low pressure port quick disconnect that came with our 2014 Airstream. Our low-pressure port is described in glorious detail on page 647 of this Airstream parts document for our trailer: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...tional2014.pdf

We'd like to hear from people who have actually done this (or have tried this and had to go with Plan B instead, whatever that was). We do *not* want speculative opinions, just actual experience-based fact-driven details. Armchair quarterbacks are welcome to follow along and learn with us, but we'd appreciate them holding their opinions.

Here's what we hope to accomplish: Charging our batteries as needed and running appliances up to and including the microwave. We will *not* attempt to run the air conditioner on the generator. (We'd save that for later, as someday we'll do a huge upgrade of our electrical system to Lithium batteries, more solar, hybrid inverters, etc. ... but we're not doing that today and don't want to discuss it in this thread.)

So, we're assuming either the Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt generator would be perfect. Nice and quiet, clean power, etc. We also do *not* want to deal with gas cans, which is why we're going to propane. (Tri-fuel is maybe nice to have, but not a big deal.)

Here's what we specifically would love to know, thanks in advance for any experience-based input you may have.
  • Where did you get your propane conversion kit?
  • Did you install the kit yourself or have the vendor do it for you and then ship you the whole thing?
  • What brand and size of generator did you buy?
  • Did your kit invalidate the manufacturer's warranty?
  • What diameter & length hose between trailer & generator, what quick-disconnect fittings?
  • How well does your generator work on that low pressure port? Any problems, issues or concerns?
  • Does it also work on the low pressure port when you're camping at higher elevations, say in the Rockies, etc.?
  • Do you have a backup plan that also allows you to connect your genny directly to a propane tank, and if so, what is it? Have you needed it?
Again, we'd love to keep this thread as clean as possible, no speculation, no fact-free opinions, etc. Just tell us what you've done and how it worked for you. That way it will serve well as a reference in the future. There are lots of threads on propane generators here, of course, but for some reason we can't find all of the above info in one place. Here's our chance!
I got mine already done from genconnex. Genconnex provides the warranty. It works great and I never had a bit of trouble. I didn’t have to do anything to set it up

. I don’t remember if I had to have the hose for the airstream made. They probably provided it, it’s been 5 years. It did come with another hose that can connect directly to a tank. I think that one has a regulator. . I’ve never needed it.

I haven’t tried it at high altitude.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelshed View Post
Champion generators makes one of the most popular LP generators (Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator) they said: "The only way to connect to a supply hose is one that has 1/2 PSI with a flow rate of 76,000 BTU/hr to the pressure reducing valve and hose they provide."

IDK about hooking it up directly to the generator what kind of pressure it requires?

The Champion absolutely requires the use of the big OEM regulator with the black hose that connects to the propane inlet fitting on the generator. That controls the fuel flow to the engine. Won’t work worth crap if you try to bypass it. Several have tried it and failed.

The inlet to the ‘big’ regulator is the standard Airstream regulator 11 inches water column. About 1/2 pound or so. It senses engine vacuum and meters fuel according to engine speed. Cannot run without it in the circuit.

I use this setup:

Name:	IMG_4709.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	379855

The low pressure 12-foot gray hose in the background connects to my a-frame female quick connect on one end and the male fitting on the ‘big’ regulator on the other end. The small regulator below is only if I need to run the generator on a propane tank directly. It hooks to the gray extension hose.

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	379856

I carefully separated the two regulators from the OEM assembly snd installed the appropriate quick connect fittings.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #97

Hey, guys, just a quick FYI: This is a *Very* old thread. The question of whether a propane generator on the low pressure port works in real life has long been resolved. The answer is, emphatically, "Yes." Please feel free to read through the entire thread before jumping in with any further responses.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Hey, guys, just a quick FYI: This is a *Very* old thread. The question of whether a propane generator on the low pressure port works in real life has long been resolved. The answer is, emphatically, "Yes." Please feel free to read through the entire thread before jumping in with any further responses.
I just don't understand how this works, because on paper...........just kidding.

This is a very useful for me, I have the two 2000's.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The Champion absolutely requires the use of the big OEM regulator with the black hose that connects to the propane inlet fitting on the generator. That controls the fuel flow to the engine. Won’t work worth crap if you try to bypass it. Several have tried it and failed.

The inlet to the ‘big’ regulator is the standard Airstream regulator 11 inches water column. About 1/2 pound or so. It senses engine vacuum and meters fuel according to engine speed. Cannot run without it in the circuit.

I use this setup:

Attachment 379855

The low pressure 12-foot gray hose in the background connects to my a-frame female quick connect on one end and the male fitting on the ‘big’ regulator on the other end. The small regulator below is only if I need to run the generator on a propane tank directly. It hooks to the gray extension hose.

Attachment 379856

I carefully separated the two regulators from the OEM assembly snd installed the appropriate quick connect fittings.
Thank you for finding this, as I think this is exactly the reason that causes so many to say that they can't run the generator from their accessory port. This would likely also apply if you want to buy one of the natural gas conversion regulators, you could then just swap the "first stage", or primary, gas regulator between the stock one, using the AS via the accessory port, or one that supports natural gas. Similar pattern to converting the Weber Q to use with the accessory ports.

My trailer pre-dates having an accessory port, so I am debating between adding one or just putting a splitter on the high pressure side of the AS regulator.

This summer I will be installing a natural gas disconnect for my grill, but it will also be used with my Champion 2500W dual fuel for emergency power at home too. We lost power for 4-days (less than many, I know) and lost all sources of heat during that time. Most of our house should be able to operate off the 2500W generator during an emergency, perhaps no electric clothes dryer or air conditioning but I will give those up to avoid throwing away a fridge/freezer full of food again, and to not have my family freezing at night under 4 blankets.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Corona , California

That big OEM champion regulator and the black hose are carefully designed to feed the right amount of propane to the carburetor. It can’t be modified other than adding an extension hose and quick connector to the input side. The reason this work is most tank regulators are set to 11 inches of water column as a standard.

The biggest reason our Airstream is parked on our driveway is for emergency use. It’s fueled, has solar power, and stocked with iron rations and toilet paper[emoji3]

Name:	IMG_4666.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	728.7 KB
ID:	390558

The setup for the Champion generator and the modifications I made to allow it to directly run off the Airstream propane system is an integral part of emergency planning.