Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #41
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
ZAMP solar suitcase is topnotch........ I'm loyal to ZAMP products. You get what you pay for.....
I just got my Zamp 180 watt portable panel. +/- 35 pounds, and solid as a rock. I've hooked it up, and all seems fine. I'm anxious to give it a good test.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Has anyone plugged a Renolgy controller and panels into a solar ready Zamp port?

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
Has anyone plugged a Renolgy controller and panels into a solar ready Zamp port?

Zamp has reversed plug. So you need an adapter to plug into the Zamp receptacle.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Zamp has reversed plug. So you need an adapter to plug into the Zamp receptacle.

Do you happen to know how to obtain said adapter?

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 06-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:

Amazon product. Type in Zamp in Customer Questions, and read if this meets requirements you need.

Sunway Solar SAE Polarity Reverse Adapter Connectors For SAE To SAE Quick Disconnect Extension Cable, Solar Panel Battery Power Charger And Maintainer-3Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPGPTFV...7CTHTH01464F9M
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	398476
Old 06-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #46
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
Zamp Obsidian Series 200W Portable Combo Kit - Regulated

I went with the Zamp Obsidian Series as I have limited space in my AS 25 RB for storage, and my TV is limited as to cargo capacity. The quality, build, made in USA, and particularly the compact size of the Obsidian Series made this an easy choice. They stow behind the Queen bed and the rear window wall in my camper. This eliminates the need to transport and store my panels in my TV bed, lessens the possibility of theft from TV when out and about, and saves cargo weight for other items, less clutter in bed. I recently ordered a cable from Zamp allowing my panels to be connected in Series for future use with a Solar Generator. Carrying clunky panels might have saved me some dollars, however, the benefits for me far outweighed the increased cost. They are very easy to lift and move to storage. .. J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	398477  
Silver Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #47

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
If you're not actually using any Zamp stuff, you can just connect the leads from the Zamp port to the batteries with the polarity the standard SAE connector would use and be done with it. Airstream actually did that for me, when I put the multimeter on the port before plugging anything into it, I found that my Zamp port was wired from the factory to the SAE standard rather than the ZAMP standard. I had already built a reversing adapter, so I use the port as-is for my battery maintainer, and use the reverser when connecting my Zamp panels to the battery.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...motive&sr=1-47
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zampflip.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	398481  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:24 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
GoPower Solar works fine

7 years now with my 80W GoPower portable suite case with the Quick Disconnect cable having the leads attached to pos/neg battery terminals. No issues; works great; ...takes a bit longer to charge than a 180W I am sure, but 3-4 hours works fine for top off each day. Everything stores in the suite case enclosure at the foot of my twin bed, against bathroom wall. In my earlier 25' model, stored fine under dinette table.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It's the brand label. Some people are impressed by name brands and excessive cost. I am very happy with my Renogy 100 watt suitcase.
I went for the US-based Zampsolar. Zampsolar has great customer support and comes with a 25-year output warranty. I purchased the 230 watts older style suitcase panel. They are heavy but seem like they will last a long time. The question is, how many watts can you connect to the external port on our trailers?
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #51

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC25_2019 View Post
I went for the US-based Zampsolar. Zampsolar has great customer support and comes with a 25-year output warranty. I purchased the 230 watts older style suitcase panel. They are heavy but seem like they will last a long time. The question is, how many watts can you connect to the external port on our trailers?
The SAE connectors themselves are rated for 30A I believe, so about 400W at charging voltages.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:32 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
I bought a Zamp 180 rooftop panel because I too thought that because it costs more, it should be better. Then after comparing specs and reviews between Zamp and Renogy, I bought the Renogy suitcase because it was almost half of the price as otherwise identical Zamp. In retrospect I regret spending more for the Zamp roof panel when it was not necessary.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The SAE connectors themselves are rated for 30A I believe, so about 400W at charging voltages.
Thank you David
SAE can support 30 Amps. Can we assume the cable to the batteries can support 30 Amps? It is a short run, but I cannot find the cable gauge.
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
I’ve been following this thread for some time. I’m struggling with some of the same issues discussed, but elevated because I just designed a solar system for both my home and office. My frustration is that neither Zamp, Go Power or any of the other RV brands match the performance specs for the LG panels we used, which have higher energy density, lower degradation of output over time, and a better warranty.

So, I’m considering making my own portable suitcase...is that feasable? I’m pretty good with fabrication and figure if I can create a system to support it, add the charge controller and fabricate a carrying case, could I not create the same thing, but super-sized as to power? If so, the critical question I’d need to confirm is what the limitation is to the amount of amps that the standard AS quick connect solar connection at the hitch can accept. Or, like someone else pointed out - a direct connection to the battery?

Please point out where ever my thinking is wrong....
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post
I’ve been following this thread for some time. I’m struggling with some of the same issues discussed, but elevated because I just designed a solar system for both my home and office. My frustration is that neither Zamp, Go Power or any of the other RV brands match the performance specs for the LG panels we used, which have higher energy density, lower degradation of output over time, and a better warranty.

So, I’m considering making my own portable suitcase...is that feasable? I’m pretty good with fabrication and figure if I can create a system to support it, add the charge controller and fabricate a carrying case, could I not create the same thing, but super-sized as to power? If so, the critical question I’d need to confirm is what the limitation is to the amount of amps that the standard AS quick connect solar connection at the hitch can accept. Or, like someone else pointed out - a direct connection to the battery?

Yes, its feasible. After spending way too much for a zamp suitcase, and seeing how simple it was, I built a suitcase for my son. 2 renogy 100 wat panels, a stainless piano hinge, small stainless screws, 3 stainless latches, proper connectors to link the panels, 50' 6 gauge marine stranded duplex wire, and my old Morningstar controller. All in, about $350.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
portable solar: Zamp vs GoPower vs Renogy

For me the Zamp portable (suitcase) is still the most viable option. The main reason is; waterproof controller. If anyone else makes a waterproof controller, then I am all ears.

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 07-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
I think if you are going to put a suitcase together, just go ahead and put the solar panels on your camper's roof.

I had a Renogy 200 watt suitcase, and found it worked great, but a Covid project decided to DYI roof solar. To someone's else's point here about the advantage of the Zamp, I had to upgrade to a waterproof controller.

Rooftop solar has some advantages I had not really thought about:

1. The batteries are charging as we go down the road. I'm not starting charging at 3 o'clock when we arrive somewhere, so we get to our destination with fully charged batteries. We tend to boondocks several days in a row when we are traveling to destinations.

2. Whether Zamp or Renogy, a 200 watt suitcase is heavy. After a few years of lugging it around it got old. I don't have to set it up and I don't have to put it away. Especially in the rain.

3. I freed up space in my truck.

4. Less concern about whether someone would steal it, but really in four years I don't think it's much of a concern.

To your point about the home/office solar, the specs for those panels may be different (higher voltage?), and they may not be designed to take the beating of portables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of SJC View Post

JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Three Seasons with 2 180w Zamp Portables thru the 7-pin...Great for us.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Heard the song by the Beatles ‘Follow The Sun’ ? That’s now the Solar mantra!
Old 07-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Celina , TX
How much power do you need?

What are folks who use portable solar finding as far as what's enough? Is the 100 watt suitcase enough to keep batteries charged? Is the 200 watt Renogy suitcase too much?
Texasbr549 is offline   Reply With Quote