Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Portable solar w/ roof mounted - will they play together?

Hi there,

Last year we purchased a 2019 FC that came with 3 100w roof panels, Victron monitor and expion360 batteries (very nice set up!).

I have a Go power 120w suitcase panel that plugs into the external outlet but when testing it out I don’t see the external panel registering any incoming solar. I tested it alone and it’s putting power into a spare auto battery and appears functional, but when i plug into the zamp prewire it doesn’t appear to be contributing to power into the airstream.

Is it possible the external was disconnected when the roof system went on? Is there a way to test or confirm this. I’d like to be able to also use this panel as we hope to do more boondocking.

Thanks for your help
Mike
Old 07-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
It is very likely that the external Zamp port is wired directly to the battery. This is easy to check, simply follow the wires.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorIdaho View Post
It is very likely that the external Zamp port is wired directly to the battery. This is easy to check, simply follow the wires.
I just traced the wires and it looks like the external solar port was disconnected.

Which begs the question...is there a reason for it being removed?

I’m reluctant simply reattach the terminals and starting pumping power into these lithium’s when they are already receiving it from the roof panels.

Is there a risk of damage to the system if I did this?
Old 07-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Richmond , Virginia
I read this article recently since I ordered rooftop solar but also want portable panels. They mention needing matching solar charge profiles. I was looking at Zamp portable panels that have a controller built in but realized that would be different than my upcoming 2022 model. I was planning to call Zamp and ask them since they partner with AS to provide panels.

http://howto.airstreamlife.com/2020/...-solar-panels/

Hopefully the article will point you in new research directions. I’m no expert on solar.

Perhaps someone with a 2021 could send pics of the current built-in solar controller and then we could find a matching/compatible portable unit for the portable panel array(s).
kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
You also have to keep in mind Zamp wire their panels as if they are on the battery side, ie the hot (positive) terminal is shielded when typically the battery side positive is shielded. It is the reverse of of the SAE standard.

The Zamp controller does not have short-circuit protection and will blow the controller if the positive touches earth, hence the reversed wiring.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks all. I think I’ll leave well enough alone. The current solar, battery and charge controller were all professionally done and there is obviously a reason the Zamp connection was disconnected. I’m guessing it’s a liability is another panel is connected here.
Cheers
Mike
Old 08-08-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Subscribed
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote