Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #1

2006 25' International CCD
Petaluma , California
portable solar generator has anyone used one?

Looking for a solar powered portable generator instead of my Honda 3000 gas powered generator.
Has anyone bought and used one? I can only find one available at Lowes and it only is 1250 watts for about $1900.
we visit a lot of national parks and they limit your use of generators.
Thanks
telkxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
All of the so called 'solar generators' are nothing but an AGM battery, solar panel/controller combination and a small inverter.

You can assemble a much more capable system for the same dollar outlay, or possibly less, bug it will NOT replace a fueled generator for things like A/C use.

You can now operate a roof A/C unit from lithium batteries and hybrid inverter (for a limited amount of time), but that requires a significant investment in a comprehensive solar charging system.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
ZAMP do a series of portable solar packages.

Portable Solar for your RV - Zamp Solar

The biggest package at 200 watts is not going to replace the generator, but its a nice way to top up batteries without annoying neighbors.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Solar on a Shoestring

I just purchased a Renogy 100 watt folding solar suitcase to charge my batteries at about 1/2 the price of the Zamp 120 watt system. The two units look about the same, but I have been very happy with my Renogy. My AS sits in a covered storage facility that has no electricity when we are not camping. There is a parasite battery drain from the propane detector while in storage. That and general usage when I'm doing work on my AS prompted me to investigate a cheap way of charging the batteries. On a sunny day, my unfolded suitcase can generate up to 5 amps. However, when overcast, it only generates about 1.3 amps. As such, I tend to go out to my stored AS on sunny days when doing routine maintenance, etc. I use a 15 foot cord made of 10 AWG wire to connect the batteries to the solar panels. I use SAE connectors at both ends for easy setup. These panels might help when dry-camping, but they would have to be out all day in the sun to be helpful. They couldn't be left outside unattended due to possible theft. At $269.00 direct from the manufacturer, I think I found a solution to charging my batteries while in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Case.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	242725   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarPanel.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	938.5 KB
ID:	242726  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charger.jpg