Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

Austin , Texas
Portable panel suggestions for Airstream a-frame connection & Bluetti ACP200P?

Hey all, our 2021 Flying Cloud 25FB Twin is coming (soon? I hope?) with the factory-installed solar, but I've also got a Bluetti AC200P. Looking for a set of portable panels that'll give me flexibility to attach to either one....but there's some challenges, and I'm not yet familiar enough with the systems/market-available options to know the best path.

The Bluetti wants 35-150v in, max 700W, max 12A. It has a built-in controller, so it takes unregulated panels.

The A-frame solar port goes direct to the battery, so it needs regulated panels, or, I assume I could wire it back through the onboard controller, or use a stand-alone controller....I'm unclear what happens if I have portables connected and I'm getting power from the roof panels and the portables at the same time. I'm also guessing I'm aiming for somewhere between 13 and 18v for the airstream port (it'll ship with the AGM batteries, but Battleborns are in the near-future plan).

So the main question: are there portable panels out there that are easy to switch between a regulated/unregulated feed, and that can be easily switched between a serial and a parallel configuration, so I can hit the required sweet spot for both the a-frame connection and the higher-voltage/lower amperage Bluetti solar port, as my needs shift?

Thanks for any guidance.
trackzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Bend , OR
Do you plan on solar charging the Bluetti away from the Airstream? If not, you could just wire up your portable solar as normal and then charge the Buetti inside off the 12v cigarette lighter port.

If you do want remote solar, one way would be to use a detachable outdoor charge controller between the panels and the A-frame port. Multiple charge controllers isn't a real issue. They will both go full gas during the bulk/constant current phase of charging. Since they won't be matched exactly on constant voltage cut off, one of them will fall off faster than the other when the battery gets nearly full and voltages equalize on all charge lines. So not 100% efficient, but close.
ryanc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Since you have a Flying Cloud, why not use the inverter and just plug in the Bluetti to an outlet inside on the rare occasion you need to charge it? You will leave home with it fully charged, and can use the wall plug when on shore power at a campground.

Seems like you only need to solve the boondocking situation where the Bluetti is empty and you need it. In that case, either plug in what you need powered inside the trailer, or recharge the Bluetti using the inverter. Yes, the inverter isnít an efficient use of electricity, but itís rarely the method you would use.

In that case, then get a portable panel with a built in controller for the A-frame plug and are good to go.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard👍

Why not wait for the AS delivery and build around it?
Camp a few times and then get what you DO need instead of getting what you think you'll need now.

We had a Goal Zero 1000 and returned it, didn't really add much and wasn't compatible with our Zamp portable panels.
For emergencies the dual fuel 2000i continues to work very well.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote