Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Parallel non inverter generator with inverter generator?

Hi everyone- I hate to start a new thread on this but can't seem to find anything on the forum and little on the internet about this. Last year I purchased a portable 2200 watt Westinghouse generator, it works well, is quiet and only weighs around 42 pounds. It had favorable reviews from users, was a great price and so far has been working well for me when off the grid. It even started and ran well in Leadville CO at 10000 feet msl.

This week I bought a parallel power cord cable and a newer model of the same generator to be able to run them together and power the air conditioning on Airstream.

The first one is not called an inverter generator, the second one is an inverter generator. They changed the model designation slightly, but they both have the same specs. I'm not that worried about the power being that "clean" for now and probably will replace the first one sometime in a year or two. My question is will it hurt anything with the AC if I link the two together to run the AC? (Just bought a newer 2015 model Airstream and trying to not damage anything in it)

It seems like if I turned on the old one first and had it running, then turned on the second one it would match the phase and voltage and work fine, but I was a business major in college and not an engineer.

Any thoughts on this topic from those in the know are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imho, if the two gens phase matched, they are both inverter generators.

I could be wrong, but I think I am right.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Lebanon , Pennsylvania
I agree with J. Morgan about the 2 generators phase matching. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what type of generators you have, as long as they phase match and sync. Your AC unit is looking 120 or 240 VAC. The AC unit does not require clean power. Take out your multimeter and check the combined output of both generators (typically at the transfer switch or panel). If you read 240 VAC or some number within +/- 5%, you're good. I work for Schneider Electric (Square D).
mgjurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would think they would still need a cable to go between them to get them in sync. It has to be an inverter generator in order to be synced. If they are the same brand they should know about this compatibility.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote