Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2003, 09:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Oil in Generator Question

I just drained all the gas and the oil from my generator (a Honda EU2000i) in preparation for winter storage. (It needed an oil change.) I probably won't use it for another 4-5 months.

My question is: Does it hurt to leave a generator with no oil in it over the winter? Or should you always keep oil in it when storing?

Oh, and one more question: Should I get the genreator out every month or two to just run it for awhile over the winter (I think I saw that Onan recommends this for their generators, but I'm not sure for the Honda.)

Thanks.

John
Old 12-07-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
We have the same gen & we keep it ready to fire-up at any time, due to the possibility of power outage up here in the winter. In doing so I run it for 15/ 20 minutes each month. Also keep a pad close by to remind & record the date run. At my age I seem to forget most things, but supper.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I change the oil at the end of the season, leaving it ready for next year. I would not leave it empty of oil - as I might forget and try to start it sometime without oil! Also, I store the generator in the garage at home, just in case we have a power outage we can use it to keep the furnace running.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Thanks for the replies. I decided to put oil in it over the winter.

I did re-read the owners manual, however, which had some instructions for draining out the small amount of gas that remained in the gas line. So I did that. I also keep the generator in my garage, and have several gallons of gas on hand for my snowblower (thankfully not needed much so far this winter!) that I could use to refill the generator in case the electric goes off in the house sometime.

John
Old 12-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
ONAN recommends a two hour or longer run monthly. I would think draining your oil is ok, if you stick a big label that says do not start on the genny, as I did when I had my older cars oil out for a time.
Leaving the oil in, and changing it in Spring might be a better idea. Also be sure to use stabil in the gas or fully drain the gas before storing.
I would worry about moisture in the tank and oil more than anything else.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote