Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Newbie Solar Power Question

Hello,

I tried doing a few searches, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2008 23' Safari SE with a Go Power GP-RV80 installed.

My question is this: Will my battery still charge when I have my battery in "store" mode rather than "use" mode? The LCD on the regulator indicates that the battery is still charging even in "store" mode. However, after some fun and games with my black tank sensor I don't always trust these things. ;-)

To keep costs down, I have my AS stored 45 minutes from my home. My AS is currently in "store" mode. I'd rather not have to make the trip out there to flip a switch unless I have to. :-)
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Guy View Post
Hello,

I tried doing a few searches, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2008 23' Safari SE with a Go Power GP-RV80 installed.

My question is this: Will my battery still charge when I have my battery in "store" mode rather than "use" mode? The LCD on the regulator indicates that the battery is still charging even in "store" mode. However, after some fun and games with my black tank sensor I don't always trust these things. ;-)

To keep costs down, I have my AS stored 45 minutes from my home. My AS is currently in "store" mode. I'd rather not have to make the trip out there to flip a switch unless I have to. :-)
The solar equipped Airstream trailers that I have worked on so far all had the solar system wired so that it would charge regardless of the store/use position.
This isn't the case for tow vehicle charging. The charge line is interrupted in the store mode.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for the help!
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I'll second Area63 reply. It will charge the battery even when the battery cut-out relay for power is switched off, provided that the installer followed the same wiring scheme that Airstream uses, to connect the power cables from the controller to the battery buss ahead of the relay. One could just as easily wire it after the relay in which case it would not charge when the relay is switched off.

Airstream's method is preferred since it maintains the battery during storage provided it has a float mode in the charging cycle. It tried to look up the specifications but it turned out to be more of an advertisement. Did the kit come with any "technical" specifications that describe charging modes; bulk, absorption, float, etc.?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
TG,

I 'third' what has been said above, but just to be certain, remove the Go-Power control panel and you will see 4 wires going to/from it........2 incoming from the solar array and 2 outgoing to the batterie(s). Trace the wires to the batteries, and they should terminate directly AT the batteries, or perhaps at the bus bar just ahead of the batteries.

This means that the array is charging the batteries directly and by-passing the solenoid that the Intellitec 'Store/Use' switch operates.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote