Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Newbie Power Checklist for 25ft Safari

Hey there-

I'll be picking a new to us used AS 25ft Safari later this week. This is our first AS and we'll be heading out pretty quick for a 3night trip with the kids.

Can you guys enlighten me on the must haves or things to be aware of.

I'm planning to invest in getting the Honda EU2000. I assume that's good power for the 25ft AS.

A few questions come to mine:

Is there a specific power cord I should invest in?
Any rule of thumb around what I should or should not run off the genny?
Assume light daily use okay to pull from the trailer batteries?
Folks talk about recharging batteries each day. What type of adapters/attachments are needed?

Any other watch outs would be appreciated.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

ABJ1
Abj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy! Several threads here about "newbie" concerns/knowledge needed to camp.

As part of the "deal".. dealer should explain in intricate detail how it works.. how you set up.. how you prep for departure... water, power, sewer... stabilizers NOt leveling jacks deployment...recovery...

Take notes... video process where possible.

Repeat..

This includes hooking up to landing thru departure.. a couple of times.

You will be hot, tired.. but less overwhelmed... and can start evaluating your sanity for considering this "hobby" you just started....

You will have fun!!!! Laugh... lose the lumps, not the lessons...

Bottom line.. to see and walk your rig with you is best way to "help".

This help here, well, ask specifically about each item you want help with... for instance..

Our AS came with a 30AMP permanently wired power umbilical. I totally changed it's configuration and upgraded to 50AMP... so, anyone setting up our AS will have to proceed carefully.. it is not dangerous.. just different...and electricity is terribly unforgiving...and deadly.

The rest is straightforward... except I can't find where to plug in my LAND LINE cable!!! Can anyone figure that one out???

(Our AS is hard wired for telephone!!! But the RV sites don't have connections any more!!! Seems everyone has a new tangled Buck Rogers, Dick Tracy, Star Wars communication device...so the have "hung up" on the phone company)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
You will need a 30A shore cable and a surge suppressor. There are many threads on both but we went with the following and are very happy.

SURGE - top of the line due to it's construction plus user interface indicating lights explaining what, if anything, is wrong plus actual current draw.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B003AL23TC

POWER CORD - this is a 50' which suited our expectations better than the short one that came with the unit.

Conntek 14354 RV Power Cord 50-Foot RV 30 Amp Male Plug To 30 Amp Locking
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DOGBONE - your dealer should provide one but this lets you at least get a 15-amp circuit into your airstream by allowing you to connect to a standard 110v outlet to your 30-amp twistlock connector. To state the obvious, you can't expect to use more than any regular 15amp circuit would provide.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55175-P...amp+rv+dogbone
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
This is very helpful. Thanks for sharing. Added to my list.
Abj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Welcome

First take your time, relax.

Your dealer may have it, but a book called Newbe is great. You can go on the web for Airstream Life.

As soon as you can, make your self a check list and use it every time. Save you lots of money and trouble. If you get the books that came with the trailer samples are in there. You should have your power cord, then 25 ft fresh water hose, tank dumb hose, I like plastic pads, 10 of them at Walmart about $15.00.

I have a how to fix an Airstream book from Airstream life that I like for in the long run.

Good luck and have fun.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote