Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
New bambi 16rb owner needing guidance/mentoring!

I'm buying a bambi (get it in about 4 weeks!), and have been trying to learn as much as I can on this forum. I am puzzled though as to whether or not I need to buy a generator, and if so, what would I be using it for?? Everyone has comments about what "standard" tools to bring, but many of the comments seem to be much more detailed for someone who's not going to be doing mechanical work on it. With that being said, what would be the bare minimum of tools? I'm thinking, Water pressure regulator (not really sure what this is supposed to look like), Lynx levelers, chock blocks at least 4., WATER HOSE ( length & how many????), 50amp to 30amp adapter as well as 15amp-30amp one, black sewer donut hose support, Scissor Jack Drill Adapter (is there only 1 length??), Gaffers tape, form-a-funnel, screwdriver (phillips & straight), knee pads, Boeshield T-9 spray, & hammer. Do you have other suggestions?? As mentioned above, I see people talking about generators, but don't know why I need to buy one, or IF I need to. We did order the solar panel package also.
Should I be posting this on other threads besides this one as I'm uncertain about the "rules" of the threads/forums, etc. I know I've seen people respond information is found on "other threads", but based on what I've tried to read, it may take me months of very long days to go through EACH thread to see which one has the information I'm looking for.
Thank you for your assistance in what I feel to be a very important issue for us as we embark on our new journey!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Dearborn , Michigan
I will share what little wisdom I have as I hate when my posts go unanswered...

It depends on how you intend to use your trailer whether you need a generator or not. If you plan on staying in campgrounds with electric hookups as I did for many years, then no, you do not need a generator. You will have "shore power."

I am assuming the factory installed solar panel is 90watts, the same that came with my 20fb. Generating 5 amps, it will keep your battery charged during the day while you are on the road and without shore power.

I have carried a generator for my past few trips so that I have electricity during the night while staying at Walmart and truck stops where I don't have access to power. The generator also kept my battery charged over-night.

I am now looking at more solar and a quiet, inverter generator...

As to your list of "tools," I would let need and experience dictate.

Hope this helps and begins the ball rolling for others to contribute.

Enjoy
harphunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Thanks ever so much Harphunt!! I greatly appreciate your input!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
You may want to think about this guide to Airstream

https://store.airstreamlife.com/coll...am-maintenance
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
SUPn woman, Have you owned an RV before? Your questions are very targeted and very limited. Every A-S comes with “The Newbie’s Guide...” I recommend you get hold of a copy and read it.
The generator question is probably the most open ended question you could pose. Your 90 w solar will not do more than top off the battery during storage. Search on “piddleplace” for a camper whose experiences might save you some disappointment.
Your Bambi will be limited on storage. I would skip the 50 to 30 A adapter and the second set of wheel chocks. ( You only have one axle.) Your trailer may have a built in water pressure regulator - sometimes two in series don’t work.
Get some spare fuses, and learn how to replace them!
You may find that a drill/socket for the stab jacks is more weight and trouble than it’s worth, especially if the jack connection is way under the trailer.
The best way to get timely, direct answers is to work with your salesperson.
Happy travels!
- Don
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by harphunt View Post
I will share what little wisdom I have as I hate when my posts go unanswered...

It depends on how you intend to use your trailer whether you need a generator or not. If you plan on staying in campgrounds with electric hookups as I did for many years, then no, you do not need a generator. You will have "shore power."

I am assuming the factory installed solar panel is 90watts, the same that came with my 20fb. Generating 5 amps, it will keep your battery charged during the day while you are on the road and without shore power.

I have carried a generator for my past few trips so that I have electricity during the night while staying at Walmart and truck stops where I don't have access to power. The generator also kept my battery charged over-night.

I am now looking at more solar and a quiet, inverter generator...

As to your list of "tools," I would let need and experience dictate.

Hope this helps and begins the ball rolling for others to contribute.

Enjoy
In my opinion very perceptive and great advice, harphunt. It is not a good feeling when you ask some basic questions and get little or no response.

SUP'n Woman, welcome. This is a great forum, all in all and my .02c would be to get out there and do it. One step at a time. Look at some of the rallies in your area and make some contacts with other A/S owners and don't worry about "the club" you are welcome at any rally. That will work itself out for you and your style. Enjoy that A/S and don't be timid to ask anything, except for my 401K balance

All RVing is very similar and many/most all will be more than willing to help. Airstreams have their unique 'features/differences?' that having contacts with other A/S owners will be useful.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
We just took delivery of our 2021 Bambi 16RB last week and had our first "one-night trial camp out" at a local state park. Let me post a quick reply for you and I will get back with some more info later one.
First, I would suggest you ask your AS dealer what the "starter kit" comes with. Ours had the Airstream guide to newbies, chock blocks, water pipe, some sterlite-type boxes for storage gloves, etc.
Once you have that idea, then you can figure out what you need and against what you will get anyway.
Also, the Bambi does not need a water pressure regulator.
Hope this helps a bit!
Tallboyslim is offline   Reply With Quote