Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hi Jack,

Our gen arrived, and I am wondering about the instruction to keep the gas tank at least 1/4 full even when later operating on propane. Have you done this? Your earlier post says you let the gas tank go empty.

Apparently it is part of the national code, but reading between the lines my hunch is that some people let the gas tank go empty for safety reasons (no gas fumes in the tow vehicle).

I am planning on doing the gasoline 2-hour run-in over the weekend.

Thanks for your feedback on the above, and for any further thoughts. Is your gen up and running for the medical device you planned on?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Peter

PS we are not planning on using the natural gas side of this, but I did note their caution to make sure that your domestic supply line is big enough, in terms of the length of run between your supplier's high pressure regulator and the outlet for the trailer. [FWIW and FYI]
I saw that same quote in my manual. I don't know the reasoning either since the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 that I bought has a tank fuel shut off switch, so for all intents carrying a 1/4 tank of gasoline has absolutely no benefit. It may be buried within the NFPA 110 regs. The manual provided with my generator says to contact NFPA for them to explain the requirement. Supposedly it is for safety but I just don't know unless it is some type of requirement for dual fuel generators when using them for emergency power needs.

As far as the gas line, it is important when using natural gas for sure. But in my case, I have no low pressure outlet on the trailer. So I'm pulling propane from the high pressure side and my flex hose that I'm using has a regulator on it. I bought the hose, fittings, and regulator from US Carburetor when I bought the generator.

Now one modification I will be making is purchasing a tee that will give me screw cap valve that I can hook the hose to. I had one on my SOB trailer that was used to operate my portable grill. That way I didn't have to disconnect the POL fitting on one of the Airstream's tanks. At this time I also carry an 11 lb tank for my BBQ and I can use that if I don't want to use an Airstream tank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #22

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Jack,

Our gen arrived, and I am wondering about the instruction to keep the gas tank at least 1/4 full even when later operating on propane. Have you done this? Your earlier post says you let the gas tank go empty.

Apparently it is part of the national code, but reading between the lines my hunch is that some people let the gas tank go empty for safety reasons (no gas fumes in the tow vehicle).

I am planning on doing the gasoline 2-hour run-in over the weekend.

Thanks for your feedback on the above, and for any further thoughts. Is your gen up and running for the medical device you planned on?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Peter

PS we are not planning on using the natural gas side of this, but I did note their caution to make sure that your domestic supply line is big enough, in terms of the length of run between your supplier's high pressure regulator and the outlet for the trailer. [FWIW and FYI]
I saw that same quote in my manual. I don't know the reasoning either by the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 that I bought has a tank fuel shut off switch, so for all intents carrying a 1/4 tank of gasoline has absolutely no benefit. It may be buried within the NFPA 110 regs. The manual provided with my generator says to contact NFPA for them to explain the requirement. Supposedly it is for safety but I just don't know unless it is some type of requirement for dual fuel generators when using them for emergency power needs.

As far as a natural gas line diameter, it is important when using natural gas for sure. But in my case, I have no low pressure propane outlet on the trailer. So I'm pulling propane from the high pressure side and my flex hose that I'm using has a regulator on it. I bought the hose, fittings, and regulator from US Carburetor when I bought the generator.

Now one modification I will be making is purchasing a tee that will give me screw cap valve that I can hook the hose to. I had one on my SOB trailer that was used to operate my portable grill. That way I didn't have to disconnect the POL fitting on one of the Airstream's tanks. At this time I also carry an 11 lb tank for my BBQ and I can use that if I don't want to use an Airstream tank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I saw that same quote in my manual. I don't know the reasoning either by the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 that I bought has a tank fuel shut off switch, so for all intents carrying a 1/4 tank of gasoline has absolutely no benefit. It may be buried within the NFPA 110 regs. The manual provided with my generator says to contact NFPA for them to explain the requirement. Supposedly it is for safety but I just don't know unless it is some type of requirement for dual fuel generators when using them for emergency power needs.
. . .
Thanks.

I seem to recall reading in a different part of the paperwork that the concern of the reg. is that you could, while running on propane, open the gas tank shut off, and create a vacuum if the gas tank were empty. Not sure what the risk would be from this, but I think that is the basis for the 1/4 gas tank reg..

About how many hours have you run yours on propane only?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #24

Fenton , Missouri
Need A Generator? Act today!

Well if you would open the tank valve accidentally, you would eventually still create the vacuum since the breather on the gas cap would be closed.

I only ran about 10 minutes at the most. At that point my load was only 500 watts. They do instruct you to do the initial adjustments with a full load. I'll do that with the Airstream in the coming week. I also need make the propane connections tight with use of compound and tape. Not all if the fittings supplied are compression fittings. For example the fitting into the regulator is not a compression fitting and requires the use of compound. They advise against using tape due to the potential of tape debris getting into the regulator.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Got her going today on gas, but am going to wait until next week to do the 2-hour run-in, as the neighbors are home for the day, and although the Yamaha 1000 is fairly quiet, no need to upset them. I wish the manual had been more clear about the removable oil fill rubber helper which is attached to the bottom right under the oil fill. Fortunately I had a new-ish gas funnel which worked OK.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Well, I'm going to have to look closer. I didn't see a helper but used a measuring cup that I bought for my motorcycle to fill it with oil. It has a long filler spout which works well.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Your access to the oil fill port might have been easier, compared to our smaller 1000. I just mentioned it in case anyone else also gets the 1000.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Your access to the oil fill port might have been easier, compared to our smaller 1000. I just mentioned it in case anyone else also gets the 1000.
I rechecked and there is nothing in the generator to assist in adding oil. With my model you do need something with a longer pouring spout or curved funnel to easily add oil. To drain they have instructed to remove a side panel and tip the generator to allow the oil to flow out of the filler port.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I rechecked and there is nothing in the generator to assist in adding oil. With my model you do need something with a longer pouring spout or curved funnel to easily add oil. To drain they have instructed to remove a side panel and tip the generator to allow the oil to flow out of the filler port.

Jack
Jack and Peter. Thanks! This discussion has been very informative.

I had always ruled out gen's mainly due to fumes and having to carry gas in the TV. I've been on projects involving large commercial gensets on Propane but it never occurred me that they would be viable on 1 & 2K's. Small gens with NG/P capabilities kinda opens the door on the other side of the trailer so to speak.

Peter sounds like you're planning on gas mainly or not the NG side to use your words is that correct. However if you were to use it, it would be a direct connection at the front port and not require another regulator...correct?

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes, Bob, that is the plan -- use the front low-pressure propane port with a longer flexible hose, so the gen can be located wherever it is quietest -- probably at the rear in a back-in site. TBD for each set-up.

Using propane for generators is a no-brainer with our port IMO, and the Yamaha 1000 only weighs 27 pounds as I recall. Per the following thread, there is some question of whether this small gen will handle our OEM Parallax battery charger/inverter, but IMO it will, as long as the batteries are not totally dead. As a maintenance tool, like sharpening chisels regularly, the 1000 will just do the trick IMO. Less is more yadda yadda . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html

TBD for sure. I also raised this question on the 20-footer thread, and I think it was subfan1 who said OK (but maybe not with the upgraded Progressive inverter/charger?).

Will get the gen run-in for two hours with gasoline first, as required by Yamaha and US Carburetor [the after-market installed of the propane system], then report later this week hopefully on the propane set-up.

Peter

PS -- The gen is shipped with an extra hose and regulator, for also hooking up to a standard small BBQ propane tank, which makes this little unit a great emergency storm-preparedness tool for home. Thinking . . . hurricane season is upon us . . .
Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Correction it was jpons who commented on this on the 20-footer thread.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Yes, Bob, that is the plan -- use the front low-pressure propane port with a longer flexible hose, so the gen can be located wherever it is quietest -- probably at the rear in a back-in site. TBD for each set-up.

Using propane for generators is a no-brainer with our port IMO, and the Yamaha 1000 only weighs 27 pounds as I recall. Per the following thread, there is some question of whether this small gen will handle our OEM Parallax battery charger/inverter, but IMO it will, as long as the batteries are not totally dead. As a maintenance tool, like sharpening chisels regularly, the 1000 will just do the trick IMO. Less is more yadda yadda . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html

TBD for sure. I also raised this question on the 20-footer thread, and I think it was subfan1 who said OK (but maybe not with the upgraded Progressive inverter/charger?).

Will get the gen run-in for two hours with gasoline first, as required by Yamaha and US Carburetor [the after-market installed of the propane system], then report later this week hopefully on the propane set-up.

Peter

PS -- The gen is shipped with an extra hose and regulator, for also hooking up to a standard small BBQ propane tank, which makes this little unit a great emergency storm-preparedness tool for home. Thinking . . . hurricane season is upon us . . .
Peter, thanks Yes this is a sweet gen set and perfect for our needs (keeping batts topped off). I suspect that the upcoming year will be mainly parks with SP, but I think we'll end up being a bit more boon docking adventuresome as time passes...especially if we go to Alaska.

For now I'm good as long as the batts hold out. Next winter I'll modify the box so when they do go, I'll swap for the 2 6v GC batts. Personally I don't see a need for an charger/inverter and don't have SP for storage so will likely stay with the OEM Parallax, and grab the gen set.

Thanks for the link. It looks familiar but as usual I'll save the link in my ele folder. I'lla lso go back a re-read jpons posts.

Bob
Old 06-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob, if you start reading at Post #816 on the 20-footer thread, both subfan1 and jpons have helpful comments on the 1k gen issues.

Ditto to your thoughts below to keep everything as-is for now. I will follow up with our new gen this week, and report back.

Have a great trip to Orca Island!

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Peter, thanks Yes this is a sweet gen set and perfect for our needs (keeping batts topped off). I suspect that the upcoming year will be mainly parks with SP, but I think we'll end up being a bit more boon docking adventuresome as time passes...especially if we go to Alaska.

For now I'm good as long as the batts hold out. Next winter I'll modify the box so when they do go, I'll swap for the 2 6v GC batts. Personally I don't see a need for an charger/inverter and don't have SP for storage so will likely stay with the OEM Parallax, and grab the gen set.

Thanks for the link. It looks familiar but as usual I'll save the link in my ele folder. I'lla lso go back a re-read jpons posts.

Bob
Old 06-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Bob, if you start reading at Post #816 on the 20-footer thread, both subfan1 and jpons have helpful comments on the 1k gen issues.

Ditto to your thoughts below to keep everything as-is for now. I will follow up with our new gen this week, and report back.

Have a great trip to Orca Island!

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, thanks for the specific post #'s. I'll revisit. Thanks too for the tip re the FW shutoff. I think I'll grab my grinder tomorrow when I bring Blue home for "Orcas Prep" Can't wait.

Bob
Old 06-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #35

Fenton , Missouri

I have a friend who has 2 of the 2000 watt units that are tied together to provide 30 amps. He's been very pleased with the performance of the Yamaha gens. I went with the 2k unit mainly to give me the addition wattage to operate the fridge and furnace at home if necessary. We went without power for a week many years back due to an ice storm. I don't want to relive that again. Tied to NG this would allow us to at least stay in the house.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Update on Yamaha 1000

Performed the recommended 2-hour run-in with gasoline at over 1/2 load by using an electric oil-filled radiator on the medium setting, to obtain the specified non-variable load. Gen started right up and was smooth and quiet. RPM's were about 5000. Guessed a bit heavy on the gas quantity, so emptying the tank took about 2.5 hours. Ordered longer hose and quick disconnect pieces to make up when they come on Saturday, so the gen can be placed at the best location in a campsite. This small unit is a joy to lift and carry!

Peter
Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Performed the recommended 2-hour run-in with gasoline at over 1/2 load by using an electric oil-filled radiator on the medium setting, to obtain the specified non-variable load. Gen started right up and was smooth and quiet. RPM's were about 5000. Guessed a bit heavy on the gas quantity, so emptying the tank took about 2.5 hours. Ordered longer hose and quick disconnect pieces to make up when they come on Saturday, so the gen can be placed at the best location in a campsite. This small unit is a joy to lift and carry!

Peter
Peter, that's great news.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, feedback and educating me so well. I have learned a lot on this thread and

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ml#post1803950.

Bob
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #38

Fenton , Missouri

I'm going to buy a cover but be forwarned that the tri-fuel assembly requires you to go to the next larger size cover. So I'll be buying the cover for 2400 watt unit.
I got a letter from Yamaha with an extension of my warranty. I talked with US Carburetor and they said that Yamaha had a promotion that was going on that was adding a year to the existing factory warranty. So now we now have 4 years. This was a major difference in choosing the Yamaha over the Honda. Doing a tri-fuel conversion voids the Honda warranty.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Update on the Yamaha 1k generator --

Received the 10' extension hose from Amazon and hooked up the Yamaha 1k generator, adjusted the idle per US Carb instructions, and all is well. This smaller unit seems fine charging our FC20's batteries via the OEM Parallax converter/charger. TBD if we upgrade to the Progressive 4655.

See the 20-footer threat for more detail.

We are very happy with this new generator, and with the service from Jim at US Carburetor.

Now to go camping . . . !

Cheers,

Peter

20-footer thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1805991
Old 06-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
I'm going to buy a cover but be forwarned that the tri-fuel assembly requires you to go to the next larger size cover. So I'll be buying the cover for 2400 watt unit.
I got a letter from Yamaha with an extension of my warranty. I talked with US Carburetor and they said that Yamaha had a promotion that was going on that was adding a year to the existing factory warranty. So now we now have 4 years. This was a major difference in choosing the Yamaha over the Honda. Doing a tri-fuel conversion voids the Honda warranty.

Jack
We just received our 4-year warranty also. Good deal! The 1k gen is working out great. Still need to get another 10' extension hose to locate the gen at the back of the site. At our two recent trips to the oceanfront CG, the ocean was louder than the gen even with the converter and fridge running off it.