Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 07:08 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
This is what the dealer stated about my 22 that is on order:

2) I understand that the onboard charger will also charge lithium batteries. Is this automatic or is there a change at the charger required? The charger has to be set for lithium by our tech.

3) I believe I can simply swap the 2 included AGM’s for 2 Battle Born Lithium. Is this correct? The batteries swap, solar controller must be configured, charger reconfigured and a switch installed for the battery heaters.

Not sure about the battery heater switch. I think that is for older Battle Borns. Isn't it automatic internal now?
Hi

The converter will not switch from lead acid to lithium batteries all on it's own. Something needs to be done to let it know the batteries have changed. If this is not done, it will continue running a lead acid charge profile and that is bad for lithium batteries.

The connectors on the lead acid batteries are posts. The connectors on the lithium batteries are lugs. The ends of the wires that go to the batteries need to be modified to get them to work with the lithium batteries.

If you decide on heated batteries, ( which is optional ) you would need to wire a switch to control the heaters. You very much do not want the heaters on all the time. They pull enough current to impact the capacity of the batteries in a significant way. You only turn them on when you need to charge the batteries in very cold weather.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrawine View Post
Hi, I just did this in our '21 Caravel 22FB.
1. battleborn gc2s fit in box (they are on sale & free shipping when I purchased)
2. Needed to remove plastic tray in battery box.
3. Victron Blue Solar charge controller...under bed work side...change rotary dial to "7" lithium setting.
4. Replace current wfco converter under fridge with wfco 8950l2 MBA. (10 minutes). Battleborn said this was fine.

I ended up doing other upgrades based on info in the forum...smartshunt & bluetooth dongle for better monitoring / settings but it's not necessary.

Picture of batteries prior to smartshunt install

Forum made it pretty easy due to all the data to reference.

Hope this helps.Attachment 405840Attachment 405841
This is a good summary of what needs to be changed. Very manageable. Only thing I would add is to disconnect your tow vehicle charge conductor. It won't help much to charge your lithiums and could cause other numerous issues.
irush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2021 27' International
Raleigh , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msowers22 View Post
I have a 2019 airstream international 28 RV. I tow it with a 21 Chevrolet 2500 diesel. Is it possible for me to drop in lithium ion batteries in the current box and just use the charging system that is in my current airstream?

Oops I forgot one thing I do have the factory solar package with two panels 180 W watts. Let me know if that makes a difference or not
HI.. I have a 2021 27' International that had 2 AGM's. I converted it to Battleborn lithium batteries. The problem I faced was the price. So I dug around and found Airstream's install guide that covers all models. Here's a link to the file. https://files.esg.us/dl/U5OroKTFeM. After doing some measuring, I figured out all I had to do was change the controller setting from 3 to 7, AND figure out if a regularly configured battery / not the one specially made for Airstream, would fit in the battery box. After some careful measuring figured out I discovered it was possible with a slight modification to the box. That modification was a) drill out the rivets that hold the hinge on, b) with a metal blade in my jigsaw, cut 3/8" off the metal tab where the hinge was mounted. c) reattach the hinge with rivets. Everyting is tight and it works great.
The 2 batteries I installed were BB10012 - Battle Born 12V 100Ah. Bottom line. Saved 2k and am a happy camper. And for what it is worth, the BB support guys were great. I ran the whole thing by them before committing.
NormanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Hi, I just did this in our '21 Caravel 22FB.
1. battleborn gc2s fit in box (they are on sale & free shipping when I purchased)
2. Needed to remove plastic tray in battery box.
3. Victron Blue Solar charge controller...under bed work side...change rotary dial to "7" lithium setting.
4. Replace current wfco converter under fridge with wfco 8950l2 MBA. (10 minutes). Battleborn said this was fine.

I ended up doing other upgrades based on info in the forum...smartshunt & bluetooth dongle for better monitoring / settings but it's not necessary.

Picture of batteries prior to smartshunt install

Forum made it pretty easy due to all the data to reference.

Hope this helps.Attachment 405840Attachment 405841
Any pics of the battery box setup on your 22? I've got a sport 22 2019 and I may have to make a custom battery box for tongue
Thx
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2021 27' International
Raleigh , NC
HI.. I have a 2021 27' International that had 2 AGM's. I converted it to Battleborn lithium batteries. The problem I faced was the price. So I dug around and found Airstream's install guide that covers all models. Here's a link to the file. https://files.esg.us/dl/U5OroKTFeM. After doing some measuring, I figured out all I had to do was change the controller setting from 3 to 7, AND figure out if a regularly configured battery / not the one specially made for Airstream, would fit in the battery box. After some careful measuring figured out I discovered it was possible with a slight modification to the box. That modification was a) drill out the rivets that hold the hinge on, b) with a metal blade in my jigsaw, cut 3/8" off the metal tab where the hinge was mounted. c) reattach the hinge with rivets. Everyting is tight and it works great.
The 2 batteries I installed were BB10012 - Battle Born 12V 100Ah. Bottom line. Saved 2k and am a happy camper. And for what it is worth, the BB support guys were great. I ran the whole thing by them before committing.
NormanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
2019 Globetrotter w/ factory solar & 2 AGMS. Dropped in my Battleborn batteries with no modifications required to battery box. Process described in this post.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
I just completed a total overhaul of the charging system for our 2018 26RB we purchased second-hand. Regarding batteries, I now have the equivalent of 4 car sized batteries - 2 in the battery box that are Lion Energy 1200 batteries. Those were the ones that were in the trailer when we bought it. The new battery I added came in cells of ~3 volts each with 4 in series giving me 12 volts and I installed them under the dining room bench seat. The batteries I bought off AliExpress are rated at 280 amp hours and took awhile to get, but they were about $760 Cdn total delivered (compared to the $900 US each the previous owners paid for the Lion Energy batteries rated at 90 AH each). In my experience, even on the west (wet) coast, storage is often the biggest issue. When I bought the individual cells, I also needed to get a Battery Management System module (BMS). There are lots out there but the one I liked best and bought was a 4 cell, 250 watt Daly Smart BMS that cost me I think around $200 Cdn. It has the ability to balance the individual cells so they all contain the same amount of charge, shut off charging below a set temperature (I set mine at 5 degrees c), and Bluetooth so I can see the charging and battery status from my phone.

With my 400 watts of solar (4 panels), I was able to charge all of my batteries up in just over 2 days. For solar, I bought a solar panel kit from Renogy here in Canada (https://ca.renogy.com/renogy-400-wat...ge-controller/ ). It has pretty much everything you would need for the solar part. This Renogy charger is also specifically able to charge lithium LIPO4 batteries - something your current charger may not do.

I replaced my factory 110 v to 12 v charger and converter (that both charges the batteries when you are hooked up to shore power and converts 110 to 12 v for use by the trailers 12 v appliances and lights) with an IOTA 50 amp charger that has a blue tooth module. I recall the converter was about $150. The IOTA converter has a plug in module that supports lithium LIPO4 batteries.

Then I installed a 2000 watt inverter so I could power pretty much everything in the trailers running off 110 v. My Inverter cost about $700 Cdn. The one I installed was a Go-Power 2000 watt unit.

With various tools, wire, connectors etc, I likely spend another $200.

So all in, I got a system that is about 2 times bigger and about 40% of the cost the dealer quoted (~$5000 US).

For your trailer, I think the questions you would need to ask would be how many and where to put the batteries, where to put the inverter (you need a 0 gauge wire to run from the batteries to the inverter), how to run the solar and battery charge cables to the charge controller location. There are some good videos on YouTube of people who have done everything above to their A/S. Getting power from my roof to the solar controller was made easier because there were 3 ports on the roof already wired to the dinette seat. But most people without that run their change cable from the roof to through the fridge vent and down in behind the cabinets to the closet floor or some other suitable location.

If you want a quick education regarding RV Solar, I would check out the videos done by Will Prouse - he is pretty keen and very knowledgeable. To find the videos, load up YouTube and search for Will Prouse, or go to his website: https://diysolarforum.com.

So in summary, you would need a converter and solar controller that support Lithium LIFO4 batteries to make your system efficient and get the best use of your lithium batteries.
CareyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanA View Post
Thanks very much for the link to the mysterious "Airstream Power Plus Lithium Battery Upgrade" package. I could not get any dealer to tell me exactly what was included in the $4K website "upgrade" package. After reading this document, which includes up to model year 2021, it is now clear that at least on the newer AS's, the cost should be minimal. I assume this is the document AS dealers use to "install" this option. Not sure where you found the document, but I am really interested in the same document for 2022 models. It looks like for 2022 it is going to be plug and play with just changing a few settings and zero wiring or hardware install.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #29
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Agree. And if you reconfigure your solar controller to charge the Lithiums to 14.4v they will top off the batteries to to 100% SOC.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
Any pics of the battery box setup on your 22? I've got a sport 22 2019 and I may have to make a custom battery box for tongue
Thx
Here is a picture of mine with GC2s. I did not need to modify my battery box, they fit right in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210919_183807.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	406196  
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Here is a picture of mine with GC2s. I did not need to modify my battery box, they fit right in.
Thanks
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Listen to Lew! He knows a thing or two!!
Because he’s seen a thing or two. 👍🏼
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Arizona
I have a 2016 classic. I put 2 Renolgy 170AH lithium batteries in the box. They just dropped in. I DID NOT change the converter. I do have solar that will take the batteries up to the proper voltage some times. The battery’s should not be kept fully top off. Changing the converter would also require changing the inverter. It doesn’t like the high voltage.
Been working great for 3 years. No problem.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Ambler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post

Thx
Here you go. Pro tip (lol): take off propane cover & tanks. Also remove bolt in center that is used to hold down batteries and last use some type of strap to lower down in so you don't crush your . No mods other than removing plastic try from bottom.

Photo of batteries below is after I added smartshunt. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211014_144040.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	406245Click image for larger version

Name:	20211014_144027.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	406246
cobrawine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
How many pounds do you lose if you switch from AGM batteries to lithium? Does anyone absolutely, positively know the answer? No theorist answers, please.
I switched from Interstate batteries (120 lbs) to Lions Lithium batteries (46 lbs) Yes 23 lbs each. do the math.

AGM weight the same as lead batteries.

I did replace the converter to work with Lithium. It is cheaper to do that in the long run.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Ambler , Arizona
Quote:
Here you go. Pro tip (lol): take off propane cover & tanks. Also remove bolt in center that is used to hold down batteries and last use some type of strap to lower down in so you don't crush your . No mods other than removing plastic try from bottom.

Photo of batteries below is after I added smartshunt. Attachment 406245Attachment 406246
I also got a few DMs on the WFCO. Where is it and how you find the model #.

1. Under circuit breaker (look for wfco sticker).
2. Unscrew slide out.
3. Model # on white sticker left side.

See pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211014_145730.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	406251Click image for larger version

Name:	20211014_145827.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	406252
cobrawine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
The answer to your question is no. If your solar controller has a lithium setting (absolutely should for your year), it will charge your batteries to 100%. Some of these folks consistently ignore this when answering.

It is better to swap out the converter to a lithium compatible one, but not required.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:20 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
The answer to your question is no. If your solar controller has a lithium setting (absolutely should for your year), it will charge your batteries to 100%. Some of these folks consistently ignore this when answering.

It is better to swap out the converter to a lithium compatible one, but not required.
Hi

A proper balancing of the cells is not a quick thing. The voltage needs to go to max and stay there for a while. Is that 30 minutes or an hour? It depends on a bunch of things. Solar may or may not get that done. It also may not be able to supply the current required.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote