Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
lithium batteries change!!!

I just order a Globetrotter 23ft whit the opt. Solar panel 90W. I will do lot bonducking. I no almost noting whit electricity. I have 2 AGM batteries. In my previous Airstream it was ok. Now I no the fridge on the Globetrotter is only electric. So first if I put two lithium batteries to replace the AGM will I have some benefits? Second, lithium batteries will they fit in the front case? And third, do I have to change something else (converter, charge)? Thanks. For the record i do everything in a house. Except electricity. I hate electricity…
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
If you boondock often there are definitely benefits to lithium batteries, the primary benefit is (approx) twice as much run time. Secondary benefit is recharge time to restore to max capacity is also much faster (than agm or lead acid). I think newer airstreams have a battery box that does accommodate lithium but you will have to dig in a little bit on the details, the battery case shape might be critical. You might have to get the case that is the golf cart style. My trailer is older and does *not* have a battery box that directly accommodates the lithium form factor.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have an aversion to this sort of thing, let a pro do it. There are various tools and some nonsense involved. AS offers a lithium upgrade package on many RV's in the lineup. Yours may be one of them. I'd look into that first.

To answer the questions:

1) Depending on your battery box (they change from time to time and model to model) lithiums probably will fit. There is a slight chance this or that model battery from this or that outfit will not. Most go with Battle Born and find that they fit ok.

2) You will probably need to pull out the stock converter and replace it with a lithium compatible converter.

3) You should do something about the charge wire from the tow vehicle. Either disconnect it or put in a DC/DC converter.

4) A shunt based battery monitor is a good idea, but no absolutely needed.

5) Assuming AS is still using Victron solar chargers when they build your trailer, that will work with lithium. It will need to be reprogramed.

That's about all there is to it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
What Bob said except you will not need to change out the converter as the new 2022 Globetrotters come with a lithium compatible converter.

I have a 23' Globetrotter on order and my dealer is installing my battleborn batteries for me. I am also getting an 2000 watt inverter added and including the microwave convection oven on the inverter circuit. This will allow operation of the oven for small meal prep.

I am not ordering solar with mine as the solar package includes AGM and only 90 watts of solar. Since you are upgrading to lithium you are wasting a lot of money in the AGM upgrade. Instead I opted out of roof top solar and will just use suitcase solar with the external solar connection that comes prewired standard on the Globetrotters.

You can always add a better and cheaper rooftop solar panel at a later date as your Globetrotter will come prewired whether you order solar or not.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Our older Safari isn’t very power hungry, but we replaced our lead acid batteries with Lion Energy lithium UT1300’s a bit over a year ago. They are group 24 so they might fiit your Airstream. (Check!). They were $695 at Costco and 105ah each and have a lifetime warranty. So far, I’m happy with them. We tend to use 25 ah per day on cooler nights so we can go a while w/o hookups. They recharge fast. While I have 400 watts of solar on the roof, I’ve recharged them from my 100 watt suitcase and that works well on a sunny day. At 23lb each, we offset a bit of added tongue weight too.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
If you don't mind me asking, what is your dealer chasrging for the 2 LiFeO4 100Ah battery install? I have a 2022 basecamp 20 on order for December delivery and originally they said $2000 for the batteries, then when I placed the trailer order they said the batteries with install would be $4000. I did not go with that and thought something was off. Interested in what others are being quoted jsut for the batteries and install.
Jack West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The price of *any* dealer add on after the purchase has been finalized is going to be highly variable. If you put it on the original sales contract, you never really know what it cost. You only know what discount you did or did not get on the deal.

The unfortunate part is that the quality of workmanship also is highly variable dealer to dealer. Factoring that in can be very difficult. A thousand dollars off on an install that shorts out and melts down isn't much of a deal. A dealer that then says "there's only a 90 day warranty and you are at 91...." not that unusual in this kind of case ....

Lots of variables.

Bob
Old 08-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack West View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what is your dealer chasrging for the 2 LiFeO4 100Ah battery install? I have a 2022 basecamp 20 on order for December delivery and originally they said $2000 for the batteries, then when I placed the trailer order they said the batteries with install would be $4000. I did not go with that and thought something was off. Interested in what others are being quoted jsut for the batteries and install.
Try a PM to GMFL. (on this forum) Those installs are right up his alley.
The problem with a lithium install is not the batteries, it's the system to regulate charging, metering, and managing those new batteries.
Battle Born's do run about $1K each, so your quote might not be too far off.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Try a PM to GMFL. (on this forum) Those installs are right up his alley.
The problem with a lithium install is not the batteries, it's the system to regulate charging, metering, and managing those new batteries.
Battle Born's do run about $1K each, so your quote might not be too far off.
Hi

I *think* GMFL is headed for Yellowstone at this point ....

Bob