Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Is solar worth it?

So I've been kicking around for a new or newer 30' Airstream for a number of reasons, one big one was the composite floor. As I go through all the specs I keep seeing 90 and 180 watt solar panels.

Is the cost for these really worth it? I mean, a lot of boondocking is not in wide open sunlit spaces, but even if it were, is 90watts or 180watt really going to make that much difference given the higher power draws (I mean even the ranges now have lights). Additionally, I see so many folks upgrading from the factory installed solar components and honestly, though I could do it, I really am at the age where I'd finally like to have a turn key, purchase and use, not purchase, use and modify (a lot).

I'm not solar adverse by any means, but I also know that solar panels are not terribly efficient and get less efficient at time passes, and that means to me lower power generation.

I boondock anywhere from 1-2 weeks on average and have been able to do so without solar or generator. Of course this was before compressor type fridges started to appear and from the look of it, is only a matter of time before the ammonia absorption fridges are phased out, so I ask, will solar really help keep me powered with all these new on board toys or would I be better off with my inverter propane powered generator to top off if needed? If lead acid is so 20th century, can I get lithium or better batteries that would fit int the same location (no mods) that would last longer than lead acid and just pass on solar completely?
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
If you can boondock for 2 weeks on lead acid batteries and no generator sounds like you don't need solar.

Solar is a discretionary spend to enhance your airstream experience. Is there value? Only you can decided. I have 600ah of lithium and 1000w of solar. I like to run full residential power 100% of the time. For me, its worth it. For you, sounds like you are getting by just fine without the expense.

If anything you may consider buying a small 1000w generator to charge your batteries as you turn the page into week 3 of boondocking and be done. You have very low power usage / storage needs it sounds.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
If you can boondock for 2 weeks on lead acid batteries and no generator sounds like you don't need solar.

Solar is a discretionary spend to enhance your airstream experience. Is there value? Only you can decided. I have 600ah of lithium and 1000w of solar. I like to run full residential power 100% of the time. For me, its worth it. For you, sounds like you are getting by just fine without the expense.

If anything you may consider buying a small 1000w generator to charge your batteries as you turn the page into week 3 of boondocking and be done. You have very low power usage / storage needs it sounds.

Thanks...kind of supports what I'm thinking. I do have low power needs and moving my current coach to LED lights helped tremendously. I know these are already pre-wired for solar if I don't get it now, I just can't help but feel 180w, esp in not full sun, won't be all that useful. At this point IF I went new, the 2022s are right around the corner, so who knows what they'll have in store for 2022, compressor fridge, more solar wattages, but at this point, IF I were to order one, I think I'd pass on the solar at this point. With yours at 1000w, it's a substantial investment, along with those rock star batteries. Unlike home, I have Mrs Panamerican and Panamerican Jr trained well on camping, or do they have me trained pushing me to look at a new(er) Airstream. Jury is still out on that one!
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Is solar worth it?

If you are purchasing a new 30’, the cost of factory solar is a very small percentage of the total. I would encourage you to add it, even if you don’t feel it is 100% needed. The benefit is that it may greatly reduce the amount of time you need to run a generator, and if you wanted to expand the solar capacity, it is only a few hundred dollars, some 3M tape and sikaflex, and plugging in a wire.

You may be surprised how much energy a 180w panel can add to the battery each day. If you plan on camping under a heavy canopy of trees most of the time, and parking the trailer in a garage when not in use, that would suggest solar is not right for you.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I just watched a video on Ask an Airstreamer, https://www.airstream.com/ask-an-air...power-systems/, and they mentioned that four hours of sun per day on average is what is used for the calculations on energy systems. Of course that may vary for each individual.

I found the video interesting and others might as well.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I've seen this kind of question in a number of different forms, and I had it myself as I started on this journey. I am new(er) to camping, I don't have experience boondocking, so I had no idea how much I need (or don't need) the 12V system. I think the answers you will get will vary widely with how each individual likes to camp, how much of the convenience factors they use (including TV) while no shore power is available, so the "worth it" part is a very individual decision. For me, one of my absolute primary missions is spending considerable time in the national park system, and forest service land, where there is no electricity. I NEED the fridge, and the water pump, and likely need an occasional boost of overnight heat, and certainly want the ability to run the fantastic fans to help with air circulation on warm days. I want to avoid the generator path, although I do have one, I prefer not to use it. All these factors combined led me to the "worth it" column for solar, but that is unique to me and my circumstances and desires, I don't think I can tell you if its worth it for you, only you can decide that. It does sound like you are already very well versed at managing your day to day camp with no power, for extended periods, so maybe you can get by without. I will say the least expensive insurance plan for your camping is to get a small generator, as mentioned above, that is a far more reliable (and substantial) power source. I don't think you can get 1000W of solar panels on the roof of any airstream, and even if you did, they *never* all operate at 100% efficiency. The 1000W generator will provide you 1000W every time, rain or shine. Best of luck with your research.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
Short answer is yes.

Especially if you only plan to stick with agm batteries as keeping them in a low state of charge will destroy them quickly.

A factory installed solar prep option allows you to add a simple/affordable panel or 2 without much hassle—even a pwm based system with skinny wires will go leaps and bounds in helping the life of your batteries.

Keep clear of flexible panels, they are way over priced and will oxidize within a year or two.

Plain Jane Renogy rigid glass panels are super cheap, efficient, and durable.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
In my opinion, solar, in most places, and without a very expensive system ( and hoping the sun shines a little) is like hitching a horse to a new Corvette.
Sure, you've got 1 Horsepower, but then what???
Old 02-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Well, we're not 'intensive', in that we're going to be running the a/c most of the time (and we only have one, not two a/c units). I eventually want to add rooftop solar to help keep the batteries topped off, but before I go so far as to install a rooftop system and change over to lithium, I'd like to start w/ a suitcase system, something that won't be unusable once I get the rest caught up eventually.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Why not get a portable system instead of a rooftop?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
That's the way I'm leaning, to start with... a rooftop would be nice to not have to bring it in and out, but, the suitcase solar to start with makes sense, and to have it in addition to a rooftop anyway.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Solar is only worth it if you don't want to worry about the batteries and how much electricity you're using.

Every day, generally no later than the afternoon, my trailer batteries are fully charged again. I run the furnace, TV, lights, radio, whatever as much as I want without care. Day after day, even in cloudy weather. Only once in 7 years have I used the generator to charge the batteries, and that was a week long campsite in deeply forested area. Even then the batteries got some charge back during the daytime.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
The compressor type refrigerators make solar almost mandatory, I think.

With an absorption refrigerator we seem to get by with a single 40 watt portable panel. That’s with reasonably warm weather, sunshine and minimal power use. I move it throughout the day when I’m around to track with the sun. I’m impressed with how well it does.

A rooftop installation is a longer term plan, but I think I’d go with a pair of lead acid golf cart batteries first and maybe a 100 watt portable panel and see how that works out. The longest we stay in one place without AC power is about 5 days.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Totally depends on where you camp. I am in the northeast and have a portable panel. In MANY campsites I have to move the panel multiple times a day to catch the sun as it comes through the forest canopy. Most days I'm not around the campsite the majority of the day so I just set it out and hope for the best. If I'm lucky my batteries just deplete a bit slower than they would without it. Most times solar on top of the trailer would be useless due to where the trailer is parked.

When I travelled out to the wide open sunny west last year the opposite was true. I could set the panel out, not worry if it was pointed directly at the sun or if it was angled to high or low, and every day come back to fully charged batteries.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I spent about 2200 on my system. That includes the 4 Lifelines. It's a simple PWM charger and Trimetric battery monitor. I've never run lower than 84% even after days of rain and dark days. But then I don't use much. I use the lights the water pump, fans, radio and charge my computer and phones. I don't use it to run my ac appliances. I never ever charge the batteries with anything but solar. It's just not connected to AC. Even right now there is 2 feet of snow on the roof, but solar panels are clear of snow so they can charge the panels. Currently it's minus 11 out. Battery capacity is at 99% and voltage reads 14.1 volts.

Even in the shade it will charge as long as it's not deep shade. Filtered light will work well. I try to pick sites that have some shade and sun. If it gets a few hours of sun it will work well. Usually they are at 100% by noon. By using a parallel approach as long as one panel gets sun it will charge. And that's usually as good as it gets with the sites I have. Rarely do I find one with full sun, mainly because I don't want one. Way too hot.

But only you can determine if it's worth it. To me the answer is yes. The way I use it works. I cannot stand the sound and pollution of a generator. Personally they should be banned in camp grounds. I don't own one and never will.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
We like to camp in places without hookups and utilize my solar set up on almost every trip. We use on average 40 amp hours of battery each evening and recharge the next day. I have (4) 100 watt panels on top with additional bars to angle the panels when I camp by the ocean in the winter and need a goo southerly angle to catch the sun as it arcs. I'd go for it. Or, add an AM solar package after as I understand that the wiring that the factory uses is of a small gauge which limits the efficiency of the system. I'll add a bit of my Yellowstone camping report from a few years ago pertaining to observed power usage:
"Power
Our system consists of (2) 7 year old lifeline GPL-4CT 6 volt batteries in series (220AH total), IOTA DLS-45 3 stage charger/converter , Sure-Sine 300 Watt inverter, Blue Sky 3024iL Solar Charger with IPN Pro-Remote interface and (4) 100 watt solar panels all on a 2008 27FB. All solar parts and inverter purchased as package from AM Solar and installed by me and Vinnie. I ran #4 AWG cables from the roof to the charger.

Our power consumption consisted of evening (2) Maxx fan and hood exhaust fan use, interior LED lighting, continuous inverter power charging laptops and cell phones using 120V. We ran the furnace an hour each morning to pull the chill (40 degrees) out of the trailer. My son watched a movie each evening utilizing the inverter/TV combo 2-3 hours). We were gone during most of each day to see the wondrous sights allowing for recharging of the batteries. We had morning through midday sun coverage at Mammoth (we asked hosts for a sunny spot when we checked in) and midday (partial) sun at Lizard Creek. The lowest battery reading on the IPN Pro was 12.1 volt at -69 Amp Hours and 67% charge (theoretically we have 110 AH available). Most days we were recharged by evening except two days when we started the evening at -11AH because of nasty weather in Mammoth or limited sun in Lizard creek. My dream set up is 300AH of Lithium, a EFOY ethanol fuel cell for limited sun power support and a Magnum inverter but as we still have one more kid to get through college I've decided to stick to what we have now. I'll just replace the lifelines when they die. I added a Westinghouse 2200 quiet generator and Micro Air easy start box on the AC recently so we have genny power and can use the AC in an emergency but have not needed them so far."
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote