Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Inverter labeled phone wire

Hi,

I was checking out my solar pre-wire on my 2008 19ft Bambi Safari SE. I have found the pre-wired solar cables, which consist of a blue cat cable, the yellow wire and green wire. I came across a grey-coloured phone wire which is labeled invertor. Does anyone know what this is for?

Thanks in advance.
mum@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I bet that gray one would go to the remote on/off switch for an installed inverter.

Remote switch, pictured below electrical outlets:
Click image for larger version

Name:	interter_remote.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	67213

In my Safari, the inverter is installed at the front inside wall, partially pictured to the right:
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	67214

Cheers,
-jd.

[Edit: attached pics failed the first try]
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Thanks

Has anyone had the inverter added after?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I haven't seen the new wiring schemes on the current Airstreams, but when I do solar installations with inverters, the Cat 5 cables run from the solar charge controllers to the solar control panel, and the phone cables run from the inverters to their control panel.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Thanks

Do you recomend a brand of invertor I should use?
Where could I find a wiring diagram?
I have the solar diagram in my manual.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum@home View Post
Thanks

Do you recomend a brand of invertor I should use?
Where could I find a wiring diagram?
I have the solar diagram in my manual.
I don't recommend one over another, except for a few important considerations:

Some inverters, especially the cheaper Chinese versions, have a very high static draw, which means that they draw a significant amount of voltage from your batteries even when they are not 'inverting'. These types will waste your battery power very quickly, even though you are technically not using the inverter.

Another consideration is the type of usage you intend for the inverter. If you are planning on a lot of delicate electronic use (things like plasma TV, computer, etc.) then you might consider a pure sine wave inverter. While more expensive than many 'modified sine wave' models out there, they provide a perfect sine wave (just like plugging into your house) that will not damage delicate electronics in any way.

You also have to calculate the devices that you plan to use on your inverter and buy one according to the wattage that you will be using. Things like a 1000 watt microwave will eat up a lot of battery capacity. Battery capacity (amp/hours) is also a definite consideration.

For example: I have a 4 panel, 400 watt solar array on my TV which charges 2 Lifeline GPL-6CT AGM high capacity golf cart batteries with 300 amp/hours of capacity. I use a Magnum 2000 watt sine wave inverter/charger which allows me to plug in for charging at night if desired.

I frequently run corded power tools from my van (TV) and this set-up works very well for me. I also use it to plug in the Airstream for reserve power if I deplete the 2 Lifeline GPL-4CT golf cart batteries (220 amp/hours) that are in the trailer.Hope this helps some............ YMMV!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote