Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
How to verify generator is doing the job ?

After several weeks, I finally got my Yamaha 2000iS propane-converted generator/inverter hooked up to the trailer's propane, started, and plugged into the shore power plug. I'm not great with electrical matters, so how do I confirm that the generator is running the electrical components on the trailer (as opposed to them simply running off the trailer batteries), and what do I need to confirm that the generator is supplying enough juice to safely run the refrigerator. I think I know I can't run the AC off this one generator, but that's not immediately important. I was just tickled to get the converted generator to run easily and smoothly off the propane tanks ! Thanks for the help.
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I take it this generator, even though it runs on propane, produces 120 Volts AC since you say you plugged it into the shore power plug. If yes, then plug a regular household electric item into an outlet and see if it works. Something like a lamp or hair dryer. If it works, then you're all set.

The converter, which converts 120 VAC to 12 VDC, also charges the batteries. If that works while plugged into a real shore power outlet, then it will work when you are plugged into your generator. Same with the fridge.

If you have a volt meter, you can measure the AC voltage at one of the outlets in the trailer as well if you want.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Also measure the output of the converter/charger to the batteries. It should be 13v+ to 14v+ depending on the charge state of the batteries.

If using the generator to primarily charge batteries turn the fridge to LP. The electric heating element pulls a few amps and run the hot water heater on LP.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
If you only have the one 2000 you might be careful I doubt it will have enough power to run the air conditioner, it would have enough to run it but highly doubt if it will have enough for the surge generated on start up. It might then again it might not
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canyon Country , California
Looks like somebody needs a class in basic electronics. Learning how to use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) will be invaluable. You need to understand Ohms Law. V= I*R Now if that sounds greek.....you might as well enroll in an Amateur Radio Class and by the end you will understand it and have your entry level (Technician) Amateur Radio License. Kill two birds with one stone.
aa6rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
I have this same unit that runs on gas. It outputs 120VAC and does not have enough to start an AC unit. If you get a second with a parallel kit you get 3200W of running and 4000W of surge so you can run ONE AC unit. If the generator is running, the normal shore power items like the microwave, and other items plugged into the 120VAC outlets will come on. Also if you check your battery monitor before and after, and if your battery is not fully charged, it will indicate that it is charging and that the voltage is a full value.
The Cralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Unplug from shore power before starting the generator.

Plug some AC device into an outlet. It should not work. Start generator and it should work. If trailer has both front and rear power connections, Airstream installed a switch (cheapest they could find - for $5 more could have had real contacts instead of failure prone solid state) so only one of the the two power inlets will pass power at a time. If it fails, only one power inlet will work.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
That little red light on your television is a pretty good indicator. No light, no juice. Red light, got juice.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
You can run everything on it. Just not all at the same time. Check the voltage when the device is running, one at a time. You can get a digital plug in type if you don't have a handheld meter. It will go in one of the outlets at the generator.
The voltage drop must not be less than 5%. More than that the device will heat up and will die much sooner. Preferably the reading should be 115-120, with a little less initially for motors that require a capacitor at start up.

The 2K Yamaha and Honda Gensets are awesome. You'll just have to rotate what you are running from time to time.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
That little red light on your television is a pretty good indicator. No light, no juice. Red light, got juice.
I did not think of that...duhh...but yeah...

I keep some little polarity tester thing-a-majiggy in the outlet next to the stove...if the lights on that tester are on, we have AC power.

When you are not hooked to shore power or the generator is not generating AC power, these outlets are not hot....unless you have an inverter outlet and have the inverter on, which can convert the DC power from batteries to AC power at the outlets...usually Airstream has special marked inverter outlets....which is annoying, but it is what it is....other RV's have outlets that do both (1st world problems)

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote